• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Movies about slavery

ValkyrieRaven88

I know there are some out there, but I wanted to see some things that were more about the relationship between master and slave. Can the two be friends? Can they reach a mutual understanding? Or is the nature of their relationship such that only one gains?

I already know I'm weird. I don't know why I'm suddenly so interested.

Probably not what you were looking for but Roots was the first thing that came to mind.

The television series Frontline had the episode Jefferson's Blood.
Reconciling Jefferson's enlightened philosophy of human nature with his ownership of several hundred slaves has always been a challenge. For years, this challenge was compounded by the speculation that Jefferson had a slave mistress, Sally Hemings, with whom he had several children. Now, the certainty of scientific evidence tells us that Jefferson and Hemings indeed did have a sexual relationship, and that the two had several children together.

Non-kinky, Rien. Traditional master/slave, like Gone With the Wind type stuff. I'm curious.

Thanks for the other recommendations.

Gone in the Wind type stuff in the sense it's part of the American slave trade or in the sense that it's chattel slavery?

In the sense that it's chattel slavery. Era doesn't matter. Could even be fantasy, really. I'm more interested in the characters and the nature of the relationship than anything.

I second mehastings on Roots..definately take the time to read the book before watching the movie. Alex Haley did a fine job with his portrayal of slave owners..some were outright evil, while many were just nice people caught up inside an evil system.

Another good book is Cane River by Lalita Tademy..another very powerful novel based on the authors ancestors.

Amistad was a decent film, but maybe not quite what you are looking for, since it is follows a group of Africans taken against their will (duh!) from Sierra Leone, and the movie is about their journey and their fight for freedom vs. the relationships between master and slave.

The Color Purple is not really about slavery per se, but Celie is definitely a slave to her husband, and it is intersting to watch that relationship evolve throughout the film. Fantastic movie, also!

Back