• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

National Stereotypes

My mans of USA have many machos--bra pitt, bil bo thornton, be affleck . . . also for my town we have sports blub: Hate Fucking Yankees. Maybe this club also to Massachusetts. All my towns people eat with fingers, licking each finger separately when finished. A special custom.

Americans in general:

We're all rich, egotistical, and spoiled

The world and all it's natural resources are ours to do with what we want, it's our playground and we'll do what we want, and make all the rules

Our philosophies are not only what's best for us, but also what's best for everybody else in this world, and all worlds outside earth as well

We are the worlds moral compass, regardless of how F'd up we appear, we really do know what's best for everybody else on earth

"So I'm like American, right? So like me and my fam went to Europe, right? On this trip, okay? I was like oh my god this country is soooo cute! They had all these like cute buildings? That were like a hundred years old? You wouldn't believe it. And like the cars are sooooo tiny, it's like Hobbits driving. I mean its cool to look at and stuff, but like my suitcase wouldn't even fit inside. We had to switch to the biggest they had, which was like regular here.

"But the food was sooooo gross, like I lost three pounds just looking at this meat thing with all this sauce on it, and we were like, aren't they supposed to have McDonald's or something for us? I mean that's what everyone says, but it was like soooo untrue. We had to drive like three towns away and all they had was KFC."

Martin said:
we're greedy? Well, not greedy, perhaps, but we are known for our cheapness. Hence the term 'going Dutch'.

Not greedy, more vrekkig, really. Stupid dictionary!

Those could all work, yes, but they do tend to require a dictionary too. I'll just stick to cheap then. The stingy kind of cheap. ;)

Motokid said:
Our philosophies are not only what's best for us, but also what's best for everybody else in this world, and all worlds outside earth as well

We are the worlds moral compass, regardless of how F'd up we appear, we really do know what's best for everybody else on earth
I think this describes people in general.

Sorry Lies, I hate to inform you of this, but the UK stereotype of Belgium is that it is the most boring country in the world. It is a kind of standing joke. A popular game involves trying (and failing) to name ten famous Belgians.

True Ritalinkid, but how many other countries back this philosophy up with stockpiles of WMD's and military bases spread about the world like chicken pox? How many other countries use, waste, and refuse to recycle the vast majority of the world resourses, and believe it's our "right" to do that?

Motokid said:
True Ritalinkid, but how many other countries back this philosophy up with stockpiles of WMD's and military bases spread about the world like chicken pox?
Pretty much every country that has ever had the resources to do that has done it now and throughout history.
Motokid said:
How many other countries use, waste, and refuse to recycle the vast majority of the world resourses, and believe it's our "right" to do that?
Read Collapse by Jared Diamond. I promise you, MK, it's not just here, and it's happened throughout human existence.

Humans are humans regardless of race, nationality, religion or time period. As a whole, we hold ourselves in pretty high regard with respect to, well, everything else in the universe.

****Disregard all this. It's completely off topic.****

Halo said:
Sorry Lies, I hate to inform you of this, but the UK stereotype of Belgium is that it is the most boring country in the world. It is a kind of standing joke. A popular game involves trying (and failing) to name ten famous Belgians.

lol yep :D

And also we think the Swedish are all sex mad hippies who happen to be really boring ( when they are not shagging obviously )

The stereotypes that I come across for the UK are

1) We are reserved and polite ( not true :p )
2) Our food is nasty ( mostly true :p )
3) We all drink tea ( not true :p )
4) We wear bowler hats and carry black umbrellas ( not true either :p)
5) We love the Royals ( not true :p)
6) We all talk like that guy from Mary Poppins ( Not true although some people talk a bit like that :D )

Halo said:
Well, yes, that too, obviously. You know, it always suprises me that tourists would come to Belgium. There are so many wonderful places to visit and they end up coming to Belgium?

Must be for the chocolate shops! I would visit for that :cool:

Oh, and the other stereotype is that Belgium is pretty much exactly like France.

<--runs and hides.

Well, I nearly ended up in Belgium once. I rocked up to Heathrow with a week to spare and figured I'd find a cheap flight. I didn't realise it was a bank holiday... the only cheap flights going were to Brussels... but when the lady said that I couldn't for the life of me recall Grade 8 geography to remember what that was the capital of...

But I was sure I didn't speak the language, so I wound up catching the bus to Paris instead... never EVER again - 8 hours in a stinky hot bus with rude french people and squished against a wall with a very very large family from Mali with passport issues.

What was my point again... ?

Back