• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

National Stereotypes

SillyWabbit said:
Oh, and the other stereotype is that Belgium is pretty much exactly like France.

Belgium isn't anything like France! Now you're just being a silly Wabbit!

cFaniak said:
We're stupid, nasty little thieves. Or not? What do You think about Poles?

Jokes aside, I've never heard that people from Poland are any of those things. In fact, I don't know much about your country at all - why don't you tell us?

Kookamoor said:
Sometimes have flags?
Always :D
I forgot: We are poor and selfish. All we're able to do is to complain...

Truly, Germans think we're thieves. There's a joke in Germany:
-Why you shouldn't knock down Pole, who's riding bike?
-Because you can't be sure, whether the bike is your.

My bestest penpal, a Mexican doctor, has said that Malaysia reminds him of 2 things:
1. Petronas Twin Towers
2. Maritime Piracy.

I didn't know we had issues with piracy so much so that people from another part of the world would know of it. I've looked it up since, and yup, we've got issues with maritime piracy. :)

What else does Malaysia associate with in your minds?

ds

Uhm... Tom Cruise was never in Malaysia for MI. Or am I mistaken?

Sean Connery and Cat Zeta Jones were around, though, for Entrapment. There's this scene where he's hanging on the skybridge and he goes, "Meet me in Pudu station tomorrow. Go!" (or something to that effect).

And of course it isn't the Pudu station where they actually meet. It's the Bukit Jalil Station, but renamed to Pudu for the duration of the scene. :)

Beautiful women, huh? Thanks Kookamoor! :D

Australia (Melbourne, at least), as killer Chinese food, with dimsum better than Hongkong even! According to relatives living there, that is.

ds

direstraits said:
Uhm... Tom Cruise was never in Malaysia for MI. Or am I mistaken?

No, you're dead right - I was mixing up my 'Spy-dangling-on-a-string' movies.

Oh, and dim sims are awesome in Melbourne, especially wrapped up with fish and chips and a pineapple fritter. Mmmmm! It's my home city and I LOVE it! Can't wait to be back for good.

direstraits said:
What else does Malaysia associate with in your minds?

ds

Actually not much. I know very little about your country :eek: I think the only thing that really comes to mind is the food. We have some places that do the food. Although, it probably isn't very authentic :D

What would YOU say about your country? :)

lies said:
Well, yes, that too, obviously. You know, it always suprises me that tourists would come to Belgium. There are so many wonderful places to visit and they end up coming to Belgium?

Its because of the beer. :)

SillyWabbit said:
Actually not much. I know very little about your country :eek: I think the only thing that really comes to mind is the food. We have some places that do the food. Although, it probably isn't very authentic :D

What would YOU say about your country? :)
Food is a good start! :) Think good food of every kind, and we've probably got something for you. Cheap too, for you pound sterling and euro users. Actually, it's cheap for everyone...

I've read that in early editions of Microsoft Encarta Atlas (early 90s), the entry on Malaysia has something like 'Malaysians are always late.' I don't know whether to laugh or cry. :D

cFaniak said:
Truly, Germans think we're thieves. There's a joke in Germany:
-Why you shouldn't knock down Pole, who's riding bike?
-Because you can't be sure, whether the bike is your.

That's a bit rich considering they tried stealing your entire country in 1939 ;)

By the way, that comment was an example of an English stereotype which is true, we do like to make fun of the Germans, particularly if we can mention the war in doing so.

Same goes for the Dutch - there is actually still a national grudge between Germans and the Dutch, because of the war (which I wholly disagree with, by the way).

Cheers

Martin said:
Same goes for the Dutch - there is actually still a national grudge between Germans and the Dutch, because of the war (which I wholly disagree with, by the way).

Cheers

National grudges are a pretty pointless exercise, I think we can all agree on that. Although obviously not to the point were we stop making fun of the Germans, it's what God created them for.*

*French too. ;)

We make more fun of the Dutch than we do of the Germans. We also make fun of the British, but that's a more recent development I think.

Back