• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

National Stereotypes

Martin

I was having a discussion about this with two of my most annoying friends ;), and it got me wondering - what national stereotypes exist about the country you're currently living in.

What silly things do foreigners expect you to say, do, eat, wear, etc .. when they meet you?

Cheers

The Haggis is a spectacular creature with three legs, one of course shorter than the other so its very easy to hunt as all it does is run around in circles.

We Scots also shout 'OCH AYE THA NOO' wear kilts and paint our faces blue and white to scare away the Enlgish. (This usually isn't true but sadly it could be said about football suporters.)

Oh, and we're all ginger.

that we all say eh after a sentence. it snows here all the time and we all own skidoos and or dogsleds, we all wear toques, we all love anne of green gables. the love of beer(actually true), maple syrup and back bacon.

I grow tulips, wear clogs, live in a windmill, eat cheese, and smoke weed all day, every day.

It's true, too.

Cheers

I'm tanned, either from riding the waves all day or from rounding up the jumbuks in the outback where I have to wrestle them away from crocodiles. I also ride a kangaroo to school.

I say "eh" a lot, I live in an igloo, I'm very friendly but a little weird and I drink "double-doubles".

The things that most americans can't get over when they visit is that we have coloured money, we have a two-dollar coin and we call a one-dollar coin a loonie. :)

Apparently, Canadians also can't pronounce 'about' .. they tend to say 'aboot'.

I think I read that somewhere once.

Cheers

We are arrogant, selfish bastards who can't choose a President...

That's what my friend said at least.

I actually don't think there exist too many preconceived ideas about us. Apart from maybe "good beer, good chocolate, good fries, unfriendly people"?

BTW, Martin, you're avaricious also!

My country, she is know as USA. My people fame for intellecture, svelte of body, knowledge many cultures, smarties, cute too, huh? Also we like to make a nice impression to other countries, always singing, playing fun games, good inventions. You should visit . . . native costume very interesting as well, a large hat, some bubblegums.

kidding . . . .

I catch a lot of flack because of my stance on american politics. for example, lately I've found myself in the difficult position of being for the war, but against the troops. I don't know ... I don't always choose wisely.

We all know what people think of Americans, those fat, obnoxious, war-mongering bastards. ;)

Where I live, in Massachusetts, we all:

pay really high taxes

vote for Democrats (or the occasional Green Party candidate)

hate the New York Yankees

use the word wicked (as in "I wicked don't want to be at work right now") in every sentence

"pahk the cah in Havahd Yahd".

I of course, live the stereotype, but there are a lot of people out there who don't.

BTW, Martin, you're avaricious also!
I'm gonna have to look that up.

Ah, we're greedy? Well, not greedy, perhaps, but we are known for our cheapness. Hence the term 'going Dutch'.

Cheers

Back