• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

National Stereotypes

Yeah, besides the 'relationship' (or lack thereof) between the Germans and the Dutch, there's also this odd relationship between the Belgians and the Dutch.

You have no idea how many belgium-jokes we have.

Cheers

Yeah, you would - and I suppose you're got plenty of Dutch-jokes, too. But I meant 'you' in general.

Cheers

Wird sense of humour is known as English humour.
If someone is very mean, we call him Scotsman.
Are polish stereotypes odd?

In Wales we're all either coal miners, or in an all male choir. We aren't inbred, in fact, we dont even breed with humans. Just our local farm animals. (We all have farms by the way. Huge ones, with no electricity). Oh, and we all have amazing opera like singing voices. We all speak perfect Welsh and hate the English. (Thats last ones unforunatly mostly true).

We also have the greatest Rubgy team in the world. (That's ALL true)

Heh, yeah I was in Wales the other week, they are ALL inbred farmers, its true!! :eek: The Scots are mean, dour, and enjoy a life of urban violence. The Irish are all retards.

None of this is true of course, but there is one that is -

People in the South of England are richer and more intelligent than those in the North. Just plain fact I'm afraid. Oh, and we're better looking too ;)

Phil

phil_t said:
The Scots are mean, dour, and enjoy a life of urban violence.

Och aye ;) We also live on nothing but whiskey, our men wear skirts with no pants underneath and we spend most of our time (when not fighting and drinking) chasing haggis round the mountains :D

phil_t said:
People in the South of England are richer and more intelligent than those in the North. Just plain fact I'm afraid. Oh, and we're better looking too ;)

Phil

:mad: Damned softy southerners.

I thought the English were generally perceived as football hooligans these days?

Um let's see, more Texas than Yank is what usually gets picked up on when I'm AWOL from the States. . .

My dad owns oil wells. I wear boots and jeans all the time and ride a horse to and fro places, mostly around the old ranch, except for when I'm driving my pick up of course. I can do things like rope a calf and wrestle em down. I'm packing heat all the time. I say things like "y'all" and "fixin to". I tease and spray my hair into a shape not found in nature, and wear tons of makeup. I listen to country and western music all the time, and dance like an angel (lol) when I two step. I have a "twang" in my voice. I love Jesus and the flag (not necessarily in that order) and vote conservative and am a S. Baptist.

I'm also absolutley gorgeous, natch, a sweet little heifer some cowboy'd love to rope up. Redneck girl got her name on the back of her belt. Got a kiss on her lips for her man and no one else and all that rot.

I think that covers it.

Freya said:
:mad: Damned softy southerners.

I thought the English were generally perceived as football hooligans these days?

I think the respected theory is that Northerners (from Peterborough up) have better beer, but they are really thick when it comes to ironing and folding their boyfriends clothing properly. But maybe I have it wrong. I swear the iron was on. And I was only LIVING there. Is it something in the water?

What is the accepted view of Walter Pater? (reminded by water) Hold breath until response, ya?

bobbyburns said:
what could you possibly need a gun for? I thought violence made you nauseous and stuff...

Man, you were really fascinated by that one little comment weren't you?

FTR, it was the mental component of the film that got to me. I'm not especially sensitive to violence in general.

im from mexico

im a very short, dark skinned person with a huge belly, i use a moustache and a sombrero, drinks lots of tequila, either im very violent or really welcoming, my life for soccer, oh and im very corrupt and lazy.
(i dont use a sombrero :mad: :p )

for my state, chiapas (sadly other mexicans thinks this :( )
we are all indigenous farmers, we have no cities, no roads, everything is jungle, guerrilla is running in the streets, we are very poor, and it seems that we dont have atm's machines

I'm fascinated how the fear of violence causes violence. just like in star wars episode II, when anakin kills all those tuscan raiders.

Slacker said:
Man, you were really fascinated by that one little comment weren't you?

bobbyburns said:
I'm fascinated how the fear of violence causes violence. just like in star wars episode II, when anakin kills all those tuscan raiders.
Seemed like he was more pissed than fearful of violence.

ds

What else does Malaysia associate with in your minds?

a place i could visit one day ,butterflies ,a pendent ,green and smiles

hey maybe you can help me with stereotypes for my country, germany.
right now i'm living in florida, and i expected beaches, sunshine, tanned people, smiles, drinks...
i got woods, hurricanes, NO ALCOHOL AND SMOKING signes, church...
it was a lot different than i expected, but after i was settled i kind of like it! :D

Every summer the Dutch beaches are flooded (pun, I admit, intended) with Germans, who go there for the sole purpose of digging huge holes in the sand.

It's all they do. After they've done that, they go sit in it and drink beer and eat bratwurst. Then they go home, in their BMW's packed with shovels and towels.

Cheers

Back