• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Neil Gaiman

"I think I liked it, though." My feelings exactly...I think I liked it, but I'm not sure. I actually really love Neil Gaiman, and have read Coraline, Anansi Boys, Good Omens, Smoke and Mirrors, fragile Things (which came out very recently), and I'm going through the Sandman series. I like all of them, some more than others, and I do think Neil Gaiman is an excellent writer. I've been meaning to read Neverwhere for ages, but I haven't gotten around to it yet...

I'm sorry, but I cannot understand why people listen to books on audio. Books are to be READ NOT LISTENED TO.

I have family members who say they "blank out" when trying to listen to a book (in the car, f'rinstance.) I also have family members who are dyslexic and for whom reading is just one more chore. I'm fortunate; when I read it's almost like watching a movie, and the same goes for listening -- if the narrator is good enough. Everybody's different.

I do understand that one is liable to miss some of the finer points of the writer's craft when listening only. There are books which I have listened to, read and watched, and which deserved all of the above attentions.

Believe me, in this case, Lenny Henry really did do full justice to Anansi Boys.

4. You've got a brand new nano (hehehe)...

ds

I have dial-up, so downloading requires real-time. :eek: But I have managed to get The French Lieutenant's Woman, Never Stuff Your Dog and The Minotaur onto mine. And I just got one of those car adaptors at Costco for seventy bucks. I'm stylin' :D

StillIL, I just purchased Anansi Boys based on your glowing recommendations.

Other Gaiman's I've read are American Gods, Good Omens and Neverwhere. I've enjoyed them all, so I'm looking forward to Anansi Boys.

I was pleasantly surprised. I found the characters to be well-drawn, and the storyline kept my attention. Gaiman really had me laughing in places and he wasn't predictable in the least. The amount of blood and gore he dishes out seems pretty acceptable to me and I found this book to more fun than some of King's recent books have been.

The Absolute Sandman

Anyone picked up Fragile Things yet? I know there are some diehard Gaiman fans in here...
:sigh: not yet... It's on my to-buy list. Did you see the new Sandman books though? The whole series in four volumes.

THE ABSOLUTE SANDMAN VOL. 1 collects issues 1-20

It's a shame since I just finally got all 10 in hardcover last year. If I had waited and just gotten the four volumes, I would've saved myself about $50 or so.

Alan Moore

I know!!! I saw that!

Speaking of Alan Moore...
Here's what I wanted for my birthday (but couldn't ask Mommy to get it for me :p ): Lost Girls

Read the review! It's written by Neil Gaiman! I'll be getting this for myself as a late birthday present with my next paycheck. ;)

Anansi Boys

I also listened to the CD of Anansi Boys, and Lenny Henry's vocal talents actually added to the story. I listen to CD books because I drive a lot and if I have spare time when not driving, I want to be writing my own stuff. My laptop and I are inseparable.

JohnB

Good Omens has sat on my bookshelf for a few months now......when oh when shall i get to it?? grrrrr.....so many books, so little life...:(

Not too long ago I finished Stardust. Overall I liked it, although the first chapter was really difficult to get through. The ending wasn't that great either; it seemed too hastily written, as if Gaiman decided he had enough of the book and wanted to wrap up the story as quick as possible. However, the rest of the book was good enough to make me overlook those flaws. After the first chapter I was able to get caught up in the story and managed to enjoy what I read.

One minor thing about Stardust: I loved Gaiman's reference to his kids at the end of the acknowledgments section. Very funny.

Due to classes starting up soon, I don't think I'll be able to get much pleasure-reading done, but if I do manage to pick up another Gaiman book I think I'll go with Neverwhere or Anansi Boys.

Neverwhere reads pretty fast. Especially if you have been to London. It reads like a fantasy tourist book. Kind of annoying at times, but mostly it's amusing. It starts a bit slow, but then the rest of it moves incredibly fast.

i have to say i loved Stardust its one of my favourite books. i love the whole fairytale aspect of. i would say the John Conolly's The book of lost things is quite similar in its twisiting of fairytales.

on a side note i was lucky enough to meet Mr Gaimen at the book launch of Anansi Boys. and he is such a great guy approachable and really intrested in talking to me about my writing and his inspirations and the like. :)

Okay, I've read a LOT more Neil Gaiman stuff since I last posted on here. I LOVE HIM. But my favorite book of his so far has been Good Omens, which he wrote with Terry Pratchett (another favorite). I HIGHLY recommend it.

I also loved the movie Mirrormask, which I believe he wrote the screenplay to, and joined with the Jim Henson Company to make. Beautiful to watch, along with a fantastic storyline.

I just spent a lot of my morning reading his blog - absolutely love it! He is such a great writer and even his daily posts have this magic about them. Good stuff.

i have to say i loved Stardust its one of my favourite books. i love the whole fairytale aspect of. i would say the John Conolly's The book of lost things is quite similar in its twisiting of fairytales.

on a side note i was lucky enough to meet Mr Gaimen at the book launch of Anansi Boys. and he is such a great guy approachable and really intrested in talking to me about my writing and his inspirations and the like. :)

Did you ever re-read that story in Smoke & Mirrors?

Coraline, Neil Gaiman.

We had a discussion on Bookbabble a few weeks ago about "grown-up" authors writing children's books, so I figured I'd give Gaiman's supposed kiddie book a shot. And I'm definitely not disappointed. Gaiman manages to write a story that's obviously geared towards the younger crowd but is still smart and above all scary.

Coraline and her family move into a 4-apartment house. Summer holidays are almost over and Coraline is bored since her parents have gone back to work and are never around... and so she starts exploring. And discovers that the empty apartment next to theirs opens up into a whole different world which looks ALMOST like this one, but... well, for one thing her parents are very different in that other world. They'll give her anything, and all they demand in return is that she stays with them and loves them. Forever. For EVER ever. And ignore that they look a little weird...

This is in a way a good old-fashioned ghost story, but with a few twists and turns, and while it's difficult to know how a child would react to reading this it feels like it really addresses that age group without dumbing it down very much; Coraline is at the age where she's just starting to realise that her parents are actual human beings, not gods, with good and bad sides... and that there are sometimes very good reasons why she can't have whatever she wants. The moral might be slightly overstated for this 34-year-old reader, but not so much that the book ever becomes preachy; and man, it IS spooky. Somehow Gaiman manages to address the little kid within his readers, and suddenly I'm reminded that there was a time when I really did think there were monsters in the cupboard and that crayon drawings could come to life if I just believed it.

Pretty darned brilliant. :star4:

Back