• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New Books

I just bought:

• Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Marakami;
  • If on a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino;
  • Finnegans Wake by James Joyce;
  • Europe: A History by Norman Davies

I love payday. :cool:

Originally posted by piedro
went to buy The HItchhikers Guide yesterday .. havent read it yet and desperately want to.. but all the bookstores here sell only the entire series together and not just the first book!
i guess ill have to buy a pirated version

I've noticed this trend. Our Barnes & Nobel sells the first one individually, but everywhere else sells only the compilation. You could probably get it online, but then you'd have to pay shipping.

i have no idea about shipping charges and stuff
anyways that would be too cumbersome. ill find a secondhand book in the streets somewhere:(

Now i did warn you .. but someone still let me go into Waterstones yesterday!! Silly them!! My fiancee could only find one book that she wanted from the latest 3 for 2, so she asked me if their was a couple i wanted - i toddled off round the store for fifteen minutes and came back with 5 :p Plus a couple more that wernt on offer!! :D

Our purchases:

The Face - Dean Koontz (His latest in paperback - looked interesting)
Well of Lost Plots - Jasper Fforde (Third in the series, yay!!)
Neuromancer - Willam Gibson (At last - have looked for it for ages)
Life of Pi - Yann Martel (Booker Prize winner, sounded interesting)
Selkirk's Island - Diana Souhami (Non-fic, diary of a real-life Robinson Crusoe)
The Tower Menagerie - Daniel Hahn (Non-fic, about the animals that were sent to the monarch and used to be kept in the Tower of London)

Lisa Jewell - A Friend of the Family (For the missus, but i liked her others, so i'll probly read it)
Some Jilly Cooper Book (Snore) :)

All in all, about a days pay well spent!!

Phil (who will not be allowed in a book store in the near future :( )

lol

Phil, you sould like me in a bookstore. I can NEVER just go into a book store and NOT buy at least one book. Normally, it is more than one lol Though, 15 mins is pretty fast. Normally I am in their for ages, walking slowly and browsing. I drive most people nuts that go with me lol

Regards
SillyWabbit

Well, i knew vaguely what i wanted, plus we were at the end of a 3 hour shopping trip so i had to be quick because the shops were going to close - had to leave one behind though :( The new Rob Grant was on 3 for 2, but was in hardback so i put it back!!

Phil :)

Within the last week or so, I have bought 4 books (including one I have ordered, but not gotten yet).

1. Leif Davidsen: Dostojevskijs sidste rejse (The last journey of Dostojevskij). A Danish Foreign reporter and authors travels in Russia on an old river boat - named Dostojevskij.

2. The Islandic Saga's

3. Johannes V. Jensen: Short stories

4. Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code.

Oh, and Regine DeForges: Algier - White city (for my mum)

Hobitten

You got the Da Vinci Code???? Don't tell Jell-O !!!

SHHHHHHHHHHH

*Tries to find some place to hide you...*

:D

Best Regards
SillyWabbit

Originally posted by SillyWabbit
You got the Da Vinci Code???? Don't tell Jell-O !!!

SHHHHHHHHHHH

*Tries to find some place to hide you...*

:D

Best Regards
SillyWabbit

Oooh!?! :confused:

Gee, thanks.

:eek:

Hobitten

Was convinced by the discussion in the author's forum....and went and bought "The Eyre Affair", Fforde, in my lunch hour yesterday....enjoying it already!!:)

I made 2 additions to my hardback collection today.

Twisted- the collected stories of Jeffery Deaver... I don't usually go for short stories but I knew this one had a Lincoln Rhyme short in it so I went for it

An Unpardonable Crime by Andrew Taylor- a historical novel set in London, 1819

I looked for a used copy of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime but no luck. Look out ebay, here I come.

Bill

Went to Waterstones today :) and bought 3 book

Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith
Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander McCall Smith
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

also two mags are Ink and Book Quartley.

RaVeN said:
I made 2 additions to my hardback collection today.

Twisted- the collected stories of Jeffery Deaver... I don't usually go for short stories but I knew this one had a Lincoln Rhyme short in it so I went for it

An Unpardonable Crime by Andrew Taylor- a historical novel set in London, 1819

I looked for a used copy of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime but no luck. Look out ebay, here I come.

For a moment, just a moment, I thought you said Jeffery Dalmer! lol

The ones you got sound interesting! You must be getting a nice big TBR pile :D

kaz said:
Dan Brown

NOT DAN BROWN????? :D

Actually got 2 new books today!

My Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk
Synopsis
In Istanbul, in the late 1590s, the Sultan secretly commissions a great book: a celebration of his life and his empire, to be illuminated by the best artists of the day - in the European manner. But when one of the miniaturists goes missing and is feared murdered, their master seeks outside help.

This one sounds REALLY interesting! I have been doing a bit of research online about the author. Apparently he is considered a really great author. I read this about him on a web site "Orhan Pamuk is finally getting the kind of exposure he deserves. Already a living legend in his native Turkey, until September he was underappreciated in the United States, despite living in New York City for three years and having all his works translated into English."

Sounds good! I had NEVER heard of him before. Anybody read him?

The othe book I got was Memoirs of a Geisha :)

Each book cost me only £1 !

Regards
SillyWabbit

Katherine Kurtz "Deryni Series" 9 books
Edgar Rice Burroughs "Martian series"

ebay books, postage was $5 more than I thought (and noted in another post) but still good value.

I read some of the Deryni books years ago and wanted to start again. I might start with "The Legends of Camber of Culdi" As this is set in an earlier time, even though it was written after "The Chronicles of the Deryni"

Edit: Start! Looks at book shelf with 40+ books waiting to be read!

God Bless WHSmiths :) Not content with messing up at the counter and giving us 9 books for £30 in their 3 for 2 a couple of weeks ago - now they run a stock clearance on their books!!

Paperbacks for 50p, Hardbacks for £1!! And im talking good books here - not tat!!!

Me and Ice picked up 11 books for £8 :D

Including -

Neal Stephenson - Cryptonomicon (50p!! Yay!!)
2 Iain Banks Hardbacks for £1 each (Dead Air was one)
Ice got a computer graphics book for £1 that normally costs £50!!
Redemption of Althalus & 2nd book of the Jerle Shannara series
Rama II - Arthur C. Clarke
And loads more :D

Phil (who loves cheap books :cool:)

Books are never ever that cheap over here, not even second hand books! 50p?! That is amazing!

I am so jealous!!

Cheers, Martin :cool:

You can get bargin books in Australia but they are generally in supermarkets and are not too brilliant, occassionally there is a gem, but 50p and 1 pound decent books *cough*, not here. Book shops charge the moon, well the standard RRP.

So jealous, but not worth moving back to the UK for :) 2 weeks of summer a year not again, scraping ice of the car to get to work, no way.

Back