• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New paperback book size?

Well! I must be really out of it. I have never seen books like you all are describing. I also don't line anything up on my shelves. Are the books you are talking about good reads?

liketoread

I guess that depends on your idea of what a "good read" is. These have been books that I've been waiting for (like Small Favor by Jim Butcher) that suddenly got taller.

I haven't noticed, but then again, I haven't been inside a B&N or Borders or anything for a while. I buy mostly at used places. As long as they fit on my shelves, I doubt I'll mind. A good amount of my tall paperbacks seem to be the same size, but the skyline is still very inconsistent overall.

Every time this thread gets replied to I am reminded that I want to go check this out but then a few hours later, I forget. You know,old age and all.

just another way for the publishers to make more money off us.

How so exactly?

A regular mass market paperback is 6.6 x 4.1 inches. New mass market paperbacks are coming out as 7.4 x 4.1 inches. So they're taller and a coupla dollars more expensive.

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3609_3360786222_b89eea2026.jpg

I am not a fan of these new sizes. I'm a strictly paperback kind of girl (hate hardcover) and these just don't feel right in my hands. I will do extra searching on Amazon before I buy one of these weirdly shaped things from the grocery store or bookstore. The added wait is well worth it in my opinion.

Are they trade paperbacks? Those are similar, I haven't seen re-sized MMPs. The main difference with those, is of course higher paper, binding and printing qualities. I refuse to buy MMPs, and I'll buy hardcover over trade paperbacks if at all possible. Even after one reading, MMPS start wrinkling at the binding, and ultimately they fall to pieces.

Back