• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New Site Design - Why?

Sly said:
I for one, enjoy the new look. Its more professional and cleaner.

And why is brown a bad color? :D
You mean apart from some of us not being able to read the print if that is brown on brown? Nothing at all apart from that. Except for other unpleasant associations too, but we can live with those I suppose.
Peder

Peder said:
You mean apart from some of us not being able to read the print if that is brown on brown? Nothing at all apart from that. Except for other unpleasant associations too, but we can live with those I suppose.
Peder
Do you mean that your Posts are brown on brown???
I didn't realize That!
My screen is black print on a pale background.
Now the side, yes, thats indistinct and difficult to read.

I like the new look as well :) I liked the colors and it looks as if it's a work in proigress , there's some gaps, but I like the way things are arranged.

pontalba said:
Do you mean that your Posts are brown on brown???
I didn't realize That!
My screen is black print on a pale background.
Now the side, yes, thats indistinct and difficult to read.
Pontalba,
No, I meant that my posts are "black" on some sort of possibly off-white or medium-intensity white background.
The strip to the left looks black to me and the printing on it looks very dark gray. I can scan lines of words in posts and read their meaning quite rapidly. The lines of text to the left are another matter entirely. I have to focus on then ("fixate") carefully line by line and read almost word by word to extract their meaning, filling in the many letters that are indistinct to me from my general knowledge of the spelling of the apparent word. Looking without fixating provides no meanings for any of the indistinct words that I can see are there -- except right now for BOOK & READER and FORUMS. The rest are just dark gray smears.
Color "blindness" is a complicated subject that is pretty generally misunderstood by the public at large -- certainly according to my experience -- and I sincerely thank you for asking.
Peder

Ronny said:
I like the new look as well :) I liked the colors and it looks as if it's a work in proigress , there's some gaps, but I like the way things are arranged.
Ronny,
I too hope it is a work in progress, a "beta"run so to speak, soliciting comments for the next version.
Peder

If you are having problems due to the size of the font then you can, as a temporary fix, change your screen resolution to 800 x 600 when viewing the forums :)

Peder
Well it seems to me that the side bar should be made to contrast more, possibly white lettering on the brown background, or the opposite. But more contrast is called for IMO.
I'll lay odds you are not the only one that has that problem, its a bit indistinct to me, but I was so fixated on the smaller font in the posts, I'd not considered the side bar.
:(

If you look in the new Technology section at the bottom of the front page, their lay out is similar to the one of ours that was just sacked.

Thanks for all the feedback so far - good and bad. It is still a work-in-progress so there will be bugs which need fixing, colours tweaking etc etc.

Darren said:
Thanks for all the feedback so far - good and bad. It is still a work-in-progress so there will be bugs which need fixing, colours tweaking etc etc.
Thanks! Thats what I hoped to hear. :)

Ice said:
If you are having problems due to the size of the font then you can, as a temporary fix, change your screen resolution to 800 x 600 when viewing the forums :)
Ice,
Many thanks for the thoughtfullness, but that is already my screen resolution. I have an oldie computer. Also a slowie. :)
Peder

Peder said:
Ice,
Many thanks for the thoughtfullness, but that is already my screen resolution. I have an oldie computer. Also a slowie. :)
Peder
I was off for a few minutes, and now that I've refreshed, my font looks like it used to....larger IOW. :confused: But Good!

I think the colours and fonts are fine, but the brown bar down the left-hand side is strange and will take a bit of getting used to.

The colour isn't exactly my cup of tea either... but I guess I can learn to get used to it. Or perhaps we could have the option of using a different skin, like the old one. It could be called Nostalgia. :p

One little thing I don't really like is the fact that theres adverts between the posts and the reply button. It gets me confused. :confused:

To end on a positive note from me, I am looking forward to the rest of the updates and I like the fact that there are quick links to the different forums on the side bar. :)

EDIT I just noticed something... Theres no "Currently Reading" part on the members posts. :(

I think that the colours and new bars look fine, but is there any possibility of making it the same resolution as the old forum? I hate having to scroll across to see the posts.

Also, is there any way that the icons for "Hot topic with new posts" and "Hot topic with no new posts" can be different from one another? It's just a lot easier when you can see at a glance which threads have new posts in them, "hot topic" threads included.

But apart from those things, I'm loving the new change :) I really love the "view first unread" button. That saves a lot of time!

I think it looks alot more professional, and therefore better. I just use the chain of forums at the top anyway so I won't have any navigational problems.

Great job! The format is effective and simple to navigate. I enjoy the graphics at the top as well. They appear inclusive and illustrate the joy of reading. The colors are apealing and overall the site looks very professional. Kudos!

Back