• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New Site Design - Why?

My entire world is upside down since The Book Forum has changed their name and style. Are they trying to kill me? :D

All joking aside, I did like the old format better.

I do like the left margin thing-definitely easier htan just scrolling down. The color scheme is a bit odd I'll admit. I am getting use to it, at least it is an improvement from the mono-color of the old forum. The graphic image at the top is pretty cool. :cool:

Pretty... I like all the colors. It threw me off at first, but I really do like it. Like many before has said, it'll just take some getting used to.

tartan_skirt said:
EDIT I just noticed something... Theres no "Currently Reading" part on the members posts. :(

I noticed that too! I miss that feature. It was kinda neat to see what others were reading at any given time. :rolleyes:

Can we have that feature back?

OK, some updates:

I've altered the font sizes for the forum texts so they are the same as the "TBF Classic" style.

An issue with Quick Reply and Firefox browsers has been fixed.

The "currently reading" info is now back.

The left menu "brown bar" font and colour has been changed so it should be easier to read - let me know if not. The idea of this menu bar is that it will expand with links to other areas of the site (reviews library, links directory etc) which have already existed but weren't as well known about.

And lastly, if you really can't stand the new look, you can switch to the old "TBF Classic Style" - you should see a drop down menu near the bottom of the forum pages. This will only work on the forums and not on other parts of the site.

Just a few quick thoughts:

Whist I’m not an instant fan of the colour scheme, it does make the site stand out from other forums.

I hope the intention is to make all parts of the site directly navigable from wherever you are. The old site structure seemed to lead to the forum and other parts of the site feeling like separate entities rather than a cohesive whole.

As part of the re-organisation I’d like to see the system for posting of reviews made more user friendly. Currently/previously the adding of new books to the library so they could be reviewed was, in my experience, a long drawn out affair. That’s why I only bothered going through the process once, it felt too much like you were doing something for me rather than the other way round.

I’d also like to see a way we could encourage people to make more substantial written contributions to the site. At the moment any kind of more in depth author bio etc gets quickly lost on the forum. Again this is something I did once and was then left with the feeling of why bother.

Regards,

K-S

Darren said:
The idea of this menu bar is that it will expand with links to other areas of the site (reviews library, links directory etc) which have already existed but weren't as well known about.

Kenny Shovel said:
I hope the intention is to make all parts of the site directly navigable from wherever you are. The old site structure seemed to lead to the forum and other parts of the site feeling like separate entities rather than a cohesive whole

Sure, sneak your post in while I'm composing mine, to make me look stupid why don't you...

This is the first time I'vew seen the new design. AT first glance it looks awesome, I think...
A change for the better

Overall I do like the new layout! I think it will be a lot more appealing to newcomers. I like the colour scheme and the bar at the top, with the pictures, livens things up!

I don't like the fact that the stickys are all in a blue box, I think it looks silly.

Darren said:
And lastly, if you really can't stand the new look, you can switch to the old "TBF Classic Style" - you should see a drop down menu near the bottom of the forum pages. This will only work on the forums and not on other parts of the site.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Darren

Darren knows how to keep everyone happy :D I can't decide which look to go for now. The new site threw me at first as well, but I quite like it now that i'm used to it. Has a magazine feel about it - you planning to take on the publishing world Darren?

I hate that I have to scroll right to see everything! I hate navibars at the side of the screen. :mad:

I guess I'll get used to the color scheme, and it's nice that there are no annoying ads at the top, although I was fascinated how the ads would change depending on what topic I was reading. And there's still no puke smiley. What a shame. :D

theoptimist said:
I don't like the fact that the stickys are all in a blue box, I think it looks silly.

I think that's fine. It's just the number of stickies which continue to exist when they could be either condensed into one informative sticky detailing board usage (although the relevence confused me since there's an FAQ link in the control bar) and others are just redundant and, if still needed, can be moved into the mods' secret happy hole.

The Test forum serves little purpose either and serves, in my opinion, to unpretty the forum choices.

Wow! I havent been able to check in for a bit and it was a huge surprise when i did. I LOVE the new!! Maybe just cuz i like brown color more than blue;) I just like everything about this new...not just the color!!

Darren said:
OK, some updates:

I've altered the font sizes for the forum texts so they are the same as the "TBF Classic" style.

An issue with Quick Reply and Firefox browsers has been fixed.

The "currently reading" info is now back.

The left menu "brown bar" font and colour has been changed so it should be easier to read - let me know if not. The idea of this menu bar is that it will expand with links to other areas of the site (reviews library, links directory etc) which have already existed but weren't as well known about.

Darren,
Many many thanks for the changes.
The larger type in the posts is super!
And best of all I can now read the side bar easily and even see that it is brown -- darkish and grayish, but brown. The conrast between lettering and background is still not very great but it's OK; I can read it at normal speed. So it is good enough for me. Since this format is the direction of the future, I'm going to stick with it, and resist any urge to go back.
Sincerely, :)
Peder

Yay! Looks loads better! Easier to read and the sidebar is cleaner looking as well with the contrast far better.

Thanks. :)

Someone above mentioned the adverts that used to be at the top of the page, actually I kind of miss them, in a shivery sort of way, it was fascinating to see them change and pick up on what ever was on the page. :rolleyes:

Darren,
Contrast in side-bar is fantastic now!
Maybe I was having hallucinations. :confused:
Or else you are speedier than lightning. :)
Peder

Peder said:
Darren,
Contrast in side-bar is fantastic now!
Maybe I was having hallucinations. :confused:
Or else you are speedier than lightning. :)
Peder

faster than a speeding bullet,
able to leap tall buildings with a single bound,
LOOK!

sometimes I just can't help myself....:eek: :D

Hi Darren, I like the new look. I noticed a typo in the sidebar--
Forums * Wrting & Publishing

Back