• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

newbie - that's me

mama-sama

I've been checking out this board and I like it. So, thought I'd just say hey and I'll be talkin to ya! ;)

abecedarian - Right now i'm reading The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides. Actually i'm having a hard time with it. I don't like his writing style. I read Middlesex by him also. It was fairly good. But still - the writing style is all over the place - for me. I might just rent the movie instead of finishing the book since i don't like it anyway.

I just finished Fire Aong the Sky by Sara Donati. It was the 4th in a series and I had been waiting for it at the library. Historical Fiction is MY genre!!! No doubt. But i will deviate from that if my interest peaks.

Last month I read Shogun by James Clavell. Absolutley loved it! Then I rented the 10 hour mini seires to watch. It was a real treat. Doesn't take much to make me happy!

My next book is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon.

If anyone loves Historical Fiction I would be appreciative of some suggestions.

Geez - I hate to sound stupid but......... why is that little icon up in the right hand corner of my thread. I know it sends and email everytime i get a reply but i would seriously like to turn it off. Can't figure out how. It says that I "subscribe to this thread". I get enough email already. :eek:

Geez - I hate to sound stupid but......... why is that little icon up in the right hand corner of my thread. I know it sends and email everytime i get a reply but i would seriously like to turn it off. Can't figure out how. It says that I "subscribe to this thread". I get enough email already. :eek:

Welcome Mama-Sama!

This might solve your problem:
1. Log in
2. Choose quick links -> edit options
3. Look under "Messaging&notifaction" -> Default Thread Subscription Mode
4. Choose "Do not subscribe"
5. Save changes

Hello, mama-sama.

I'm a newbie here, myself.

The last historical novel I read was Sharpe's Tiger. I couldn't really recommend it, unless you like military history, in which case it was quite good.

Right now, I'm reading A Morbid Taste For Bones, which is the first in the series about Brother Cadfael, the medieval monk and part-time detective. I'd definitely recommend it.

digitalrob70 - I love series! How many in this one? I will check it out - most definitely. Medieval - that sounds perfect for me!

And, you know, I find that most historical fiction is military in some fashion. There is always a war going on at some point in the novel.

And since you are a newbie too, welcome!!!:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Back