• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

NOBODY will know about this book on Atlantis...

namedujour

Years ago I picked up a strange book in the library. It was published around 1900, and was written by a 12-year old girl who claimed to have vivid recollections of a past lifetime in Atlantis, just before it submerged. React to that as you will, but she wrote about it and they published it. As I recall from the Foreward, she couldn't remember a thing about Atlantis after writing the book.

Remember, the book was written in 1900, or thereabouts, and was ancient when I read it, almost falling apart. This little girl described solar energy, which she said the entire continent ran on, planes, and all kinds of electrical devices that wouldn't be invented for another 50 years. She also said there was a procedure that extended lifespans to 200 years. The procedure was usually only performed on the rich and powerful as a reward, but just about everyone who had the procedure regretted it.

She had other things to say about the country's politics and relations with other parts of the world (which didn't particularly interest Atlanteans because the rest of the world was so barbaric, she said). (I'm just writing about what I remember in case one detail jogs someone else's memory.)

I can't recall if she wrote it as a story, or as a weird memoir. It read like sci-fi, but was fascinating because of the author and the time it was published, and some of the amazing technology she predicted. It falls under "fun read." When I went back to find it, it was gone. Sold, no doubt, at the library's annual book sale one year.

Nevertheless, I always wanted to go back and look at it, just to see if the book was really real (it seems like such a stretch, doesn't it?). And, of course, I have no idea what the title was or the name of the author.

Sounds to me like it might have been an example of "spirit" writing (the early 20th Cent. equivalent of channeling). You might try researching that topic. Or, of course, you could try sites like www.alibris.com or www.abaa.com and search under Atlantis or mysticism. In the mean time, I'll do a little checking myself.

Don't know the book in question but you may find the online texts in the Atlantis section of the Sacred Texts Archive to be of interest. All texts date from the 19th Century and are the core documents and manuscripts that fuel the modern Atlantean mythos.

Stewart said:
Don't know the book in question but you may find the online texts in the Atlantis section of the Sacred Texts Archive to be of interest. All texts date from the 19th Century and are the core documents and manuscripts that fuel the modern Atlantean mythos.

Thanks for the tip! I contacted him, and he responded by saying he would love to scan and post the book to his web site (evidently he can do that with any book printed before 1922) but had no clue as to where to find it. He suggested libraries. So I guess the search is on!

I actually remember reading about this book, but can't remember where. It seemed like it was a footnote in another book I owned on the subject, but it DID give the publisher, date and author and I meant to search for it. I'll look around my library and see what I can find. It might take me awhile, though, because I'm not sure where I saw it.

Okay, I either found the author or at least some articles regarding the book. I think you're looking for a series of books written by Helena Blavatsky around 1915. She wrote the first few in her late teen's and then took on the name "Madame Blavatsky" and continued to write extensively about her life in Atlantis. She even formed a minor religion that was supposedly attune to the teachings from there. Here's an article that gives some of the titles of the books. See if it's what you're looking for!

Atlantis and the Gods of Antiquity

Good luck! :)

Cathy

Book About Atlantis

I think the book you are referring to is called The Romance Of Atlantis written by Taylor Caldwell. In the forward she describes writing the story when she was 12 years old. Her grandfather, a publisher was horrified that she claimed to write it. He thought she plagarized a story she had read somewhere. It is a fascinating story. I recently got a copy on ebay. Happy hunting. Jaze

Cathy C said:
I think you're looking for a series of books written by Helena Blavatsky around 1915. She wrote the first few in her late teen's and then took on the name "Madame Blavatsky" and continued to write extensively about her life in Atlantis. She even formed a minor religion that was supposedly attune to the teachings from there.

I wouldn't call the theosophical society a religion.

Her Isis Unveiled volumes are probably the hardest things I've ever tried to read. :(

the theosophical society is a religion. helena blavatsky, krishnamurti's adopted mother, founded the theosophical society in 1875, and selected him as the head of the order of the star in 1911 (when he was 16), which was supposed to proclaim the coming of a the theosophical society's world teacher. krishnamurti dissolved the order of the star in 1929, because he maintained that it was a religious organization.

I have read this!

I read this book! Wow...know it wasn't my imagination. It was told in the voice of a young wealthy woman of Atlantis. I was probably 16 when I read this. There were some pretty steamy bits. Was stunned to read at the end that this was written by a 12 year old girl. So VERY glad to find at least someone who read this too. Still want to find it! Oh...now have read the rest of the other replies to this post. Ah, yes! The Romance of Atlantis. This is amazing. So happy that there are ways to find long forgotten(by most) books through networking. Yay!

This book sounds wonderful! It's availible on Amazon, but is kinda expensive, so let us know if it becomes availible as an e-book or something!

This book sounds wonderful! It's availible on Amazon, but is kinda expensive, so let us know if it becomes availible as an e-book or something!

It might be available through interlibrary loan. I'm always amazed to see what I can find this way. Might be worth asking your librarian..

Back