• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Nooooo!!!!! It's September

Autumn is easily my favourite season. Followed by Winter provided there's a decent dose of snow to truely make it Winter. Bad things always happen to me in the Summer, never sad to see it go.

And yes, a 'toque' is a hat.

I don't mind September so much, nor October. November is when it starts getting me down - the shorter days. I have some interesting projects that I'll be taking on this fall and winter so I may not care so much.

ions said:
Autumn is easily my favourite season. Followed by Winter provided there's a decent dose of snow to truely make it Winter. Bad things always happen to me in the Summer, never sad to see it go.

And yes, a 'toque' is a hat.

Wow-don't hear that often. I agree with you about winter. The first snow is always exciting to see. When I have a snow day off, I'm not certain whose happier-the kids or the teachers. :p

I had issues with 'toque' too at first. It's what we in England/Australia call a 'beanie'.

I love September in my town, weather-wise. You still get those warm days, but by the end of the month it's cooler. And I love Fall clothes - tweed pants, wool skirts and long sleeves, or a hoodie for less formal days. The only draw back is that the undergrads are back which means more drunks in town on the weekend, and the campus is louder. On the flip side it means that everything on campus is open again, so the bar will be open for lunch! :D

blueboatdriver said:
Sorry, but what on earth's a toque.

this is a toque, pronounced took.
hat.jpg

and m, ronny and ricky. scroll down to read what you all are reading. you are all in a row reading, the sports pages, something and not much. LOLLOLOLOLOLL

ricky said:
a toque is what we canadians call a winter hat...it is very chic....

I've seen some hats that look like a toque, but they're made out of hemp.

me too, me too. I love late Sept and October. The feeling ans smell in the iar is wonderful. I also love going to the apple orchards and getting fresh crisp apples.

btw, seven days from today we will be on our way to Bar Harbor, regardless of the price of gas (I think). :)

jenngorham said:
and m, ronny and ricky. scroll down to read what you all are reading. you are all in a row reading, the sports pages, something and not much. LOLLOLOLOLOLL

Well for the longest time Mehasting, Leckert's and I were reading the writing on the wall, Leckert still working on it but M and I figured it out ;)

Motokid said:
September is ok, but it only leads to October, which bleeds into November...ahhhhhhh......January and February....breath...breath....breath....

I'm with you a hundred percent, Motokid! I can just barely tolerate the winter months by repeating over and over again, "If winter comes..."

I start saying that right about in October. It always snows here by Halloween, and then it stays cold and mostly dark until May or thereabouts.

And shoes! We will soon have to cram our poor little tootsies back into real shoes -- not to mention wearing long pants. :mad:

I have a pet theory about people's favorite months. I'll bet all those cold weather lovers up above there were born in the fall or winter, and that you, Moto, arrived on the planet in the spring or summer?

I was in such a hurry for spring to arrive that I got here in March.

Word for opposite months...

There is a word for months that are oposite each other in the twelve month cycle, but I have mislaid it. Does anybody know what it is? For instance, June would be this to December. (December having the shortest days of the years and June having the longest...)

:confused:

StillILearn said:
There is a word for months that are oposite each other in the twelve month cycle, but I have mislaid it. Does anybody know what it is? For instance, June would be this to December. (December having the shortest days of the years and June having the longest...)

:confused:

Not sure but are you talking about the equinox? Not a 12 month cycle though...

jenngorham said:

The mildly amusing (to me) thing is that I don't read the actual sports pages (the ones where they talk about basketball and all). "The Sports Pages" refers to another part of the paper. Something people in my business may happen to read, but others may consider morbid. It's usually found at the back of the first section of the paper. Get where I'm going with this yet? I've been reading them a lot lately because, well, it's been a "sporty" few weeks around here and I haven't been reading anything else of merit.

ions said:
Not sure but are you talking about the equinox? Not a 12 month cycle though...

No... thanks for trying though. It's a word that means the exact opposite month in the yearly cycle...

Show of hands-who here likes 90-100 degree weather? Not me, I'm tired of it. I want some nice and breezy 40-60 degree days.

StillILearn said:
I have a pet theory about people's favorite months. I'll bet all those cold weather lovers up above there were born in the fall or winter, and that you, Moto, arrived on the planet in the spring or summer?
Interesting theory...I was born in very late May. Usually my B-day falls on Memorial Day Weekend....the un-official start to summer....you may have something there....

Back