• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Odd Choices for Cover Songs

lenny nero

I've always enjoyed when an artist takes a song from another style of music and covers it. I also like it when they completely reinvent the song, basically just keeping the lyrics. What are some of your fave examples of this? Some of mine are:

Tori Amos doing Slayer's Raining Blood ~ how many mom's cover Slayer? Not a lot!

Judas Priest doing Joan Baez's Diamonds and Rust ~ they do two versions, one rockin and the other soft and mellow, I prefer the latter.

Nine Inch Nails doing Queen's Get Down, Make Love ~ he completely chopped this one up and just kept the lyrics, great stuff.

A Perfect Circle doing Led Zeppelin's When the Levee Breaks ~ they redid it jazzy and melancholy, must hear it to believe it.

You should give Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds' Kicking Against The Pricks a listen - fourteen covers given a darker tone. Black Betty is reduced to shouting and percussion.

I can think of lots of examples, mostly from The Chieftains-they've sung with everybody!
Mick Jagger's cover of Lefty Frizzell's Long Black Veil- kept the tune similar enough, but Mick's unique voice made it different. Still haunting..

Van Morrison and the Chieftains-Shenandoah

Tom Jones and the Chieftains-Tennessee Waltz-very different from Patti Page!

Chieftains and Ricky Skaggs-Wabash Cannonball-while Irish music is not so different from old-time bluegrass and country music, the Celtic instrumentation on this cut is wonderful.

Rod Stewart -What Made Milwaukee Famous-just as good, if not better than Jerry Lee Lewis..

The Beatles-Act Naturally-different, but not strange cover of the Buck Owens song

Bette Midler-The Wind Beneath My Wings-I still prefer the orginal version by GAry Morris, but hers is lovely.

Dc Talk-Lean on Me..very different than Bill Wither's original, but we love it at our house..

just the other night I heard a cover of Dobie Gray's Drift Away.. not bad, but I love Dobie's voice..

marilyn manson's cover of sweet dreams by the eurythmics. bonnie raitt's cover of angel from montgomery( that's not that odd though)

I have been listening to some cover songs by Marilyn Manson such as another brick in the wall, Put a spall on you and Sweet Dreams.

bonnie raitt's cover of angel from montgomery
I love John Prine!
I have been listening to some cover songs by Marilyn Manson such as another brick in the wall, Put a spall on you and Sweet Dreams.
I've heard all of those except for 'another brick in the wall'. I have heard Korn do it though.

Johnny Cash singing Hurt by Nine Inch Nails.
Cash has some other odd covers on his American albums as well.

Nick Cave and Shane Macgowan singing "Its a wonderful world".

the crash test dummies cover of brittney's hit me baby one more time hilarious. brad roberts' voice is sooooo deep.

Dolly Parton's cover of Collective Soul's "Heaven Let Your Light Shine Down".

The original just made me sort of laugh at the grinding guitar and the random "Yeah"s, but Parton made it a very beautiful song about faith.

It's not exactly a cover, but I always really liked Puff Daddy's use of Sting's "Every Breath You Take". The depth of the lyrics was so increased when you took it in light of a deceased friend rather than just a stalkerish obsession.

Slapshot's Bigmouth Strikes again. Not an obvious choice for a cover, if you ask me. You'd think they'd pick a more poppy song.

Also, An Pierlé's version of Are Friends Electric? I love it.

lenny nero said:
I love John Prine!
Bewildered, bewildered...

You have no complaint
You are what your are and you ain’t what you ain’t
So listen up buster, and listen up good
Stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood

i love john too.

RainbowGurl said:

Don't forget Korn's version of Another Brick in the Wall!

Also- Sugarcoma's cover of Britneys Drive Me Crazy
Slayer's version of Steppenwolfs Born To Be Wild
Goldfinger's version of The Cure's Just Like Heaven
Reel Big Fish with The Cure's Boys Dont Cry
Children of Bodom's version of Iron Maidens Aces High
Murderdoll's cover of Billy Idol's White Wedding

Not to mention the cover band Me First and the Gimme Gimmes who have done lots of covers, including I Believe I can Fly, Rocketman and I Would Walk 500 Miles. :D

Back