• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Odd Choices for Cover Songs

The greatest one I can think of is Husker Du covering the theme song to the Mary Tyler Moore Show. It's pretty rockin'. I also think there must be some in Gov't Mule's catalogue, 'cause Warren will play almost anything.
I wish I could think of more.
Some of the Johnny Cash covers were bizarre. Hurt, though, was very intense, particularly the video.
The Cowboy Junkies do a really nice version of Thunder Road which is very different from the original (in feeling).

ooooooh i know a great one. a one hit wonder but still kickin'
animal ant farm's version of smooth criminal. brilliant.

krys thanx, that's what i was thinking of.

Nick Cave's cover of Leonard Cohen's Tower of Song is a complete reworking of the track - he plays the thing in about 6 different musical styles as it develops.

Other covers: Nine Inch Nails' versions of Get Down, Make Love and Physical. Smashing Pumpkins' version of Landslide, and Tori Amos' version of Famous Blue Raincoat.

The Cowboy Junkies do a really nice version of Thunder Road which is very different from the original (in feeling).
I love their cover of Darkness, Darkness, so much better than Robert Plant's recent version.

RATM covers of Kick Out the Jams, Beautiful World and How I Could Just Kill a Man are nice. Ben Folds cover of Twin Falls.

jenngorham said:
marilyn manson's cover of sweet dreams by the eurythmics.

Oh, I didn't like that at all - it was WAY too freaky. Annie Lennox was freaky enough.

I'm going to put myself in the firing line here: I'm not the biggest fan of cover songs at all. There are some good ones, that's for sure - some are even better than the originals. But there are a number of things I hate:

1. Punk 'cover' songs: Playing a song really, really fast and pretending you've somehow changed it

2. Playing the song in exactly the same way as the original and pretending you've somehow 'interpretted' it (ie: making a buck off a song that was already a hit).

3. Madonna - need I say more?

4. When the original band/singer/writer doesn't get the credit they deserve. This goes for sampling too, actually. It really ticks me off when people put down any artist - everyone has their own taste. But it particularly annoys me when fans of rap/hip-hop put down 'mainstream' music... not realising that that is where a lot of the samples and hooks for the music they enjoy come from!!!!!!!

Okay, rant over.

I should also add some covers that I did enjoy...

Janis Joplin - Me and Bobby McGee (originally Kris Kristofferson)
Travis - Hit Me Baby One More Time (originally Britney Spears)
Guns N Roses - Knockin' on Heavens Door (originally Bob Dylan)
Counting Crows - Big Yellow Taxi (originally Joni Mitchell)
Santana - Black Magic Woman (originally Fleetwood Mac)
Pearl Jam - Last Kiss (originally Wayne Cochran - I thought it was the Cavaliers, but apparently Cochran wrote the original back in 1961).

Uh...hello...how bout Metallica's Garage Inc.??????

Blue Oyster Cult's Astronomy
Turn The Page from Bob Seegar (spelling?)
Whisky In The Jar
Tuesday's Gone
Sabra Cadabra.....

and a few really great lesser known songs like Die Die Die My Darlin, Lover Man, and Merciful Fate

damn the whole double CD is great stuff...

Some other good covers:
Jimi Hendrix : All along the watchtower (Orig. Dylan)
Johnny Jenkins : I walk on gilded splinters. (Orig. Dr. John)

The funny thing about the Johnny Jenkins cover is that the guitar riff were used for the Beck song Looser.

Back