• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Old Christmas Threads (gifts, well wishes, etc)

Depends. When you're ordering stuff from America that takes 4 weeks to arrive, you have to start somewhat sooner. As I did most of mine at Jinx and Thinkgeek, that very factor had to be taken into account and thus I'm done. Bar family, natch.

Delta_doh! said:
Boxing Day :D

What do you call people who are afraid of Santa Claus?
Claustrophobic. :p

Noooooo! Save your jokes, come December we can put up a crappy Christmas joke thread. Think of the fun!

Last year I did everything on Christmas eve :eek: Hoping to start a bit earlier this year!

EVERY year I do all my shopping on Christmas Eve, which is problematic as Christmas Eve is also my favourite night of the year to get drunk. Last year we started at 10am. How were they even allowed to open up the pub that early? Anyway, then we went to a few more pubs, lost my purse and burst into tears when I realised I'd lost my eyeliner with it :( It still hurts.

Freya said:
EVERY year I do all my shopping on Christmas Eve, which is problematic as Christmas Eve is also my favourite night of the year to get drunk.

Wow, drunk shopping! Too cool! You get the chance to be just as surprised as the recipient when the gift is opened... :p

It depends on the year for me. This year it won't take long, as hubby and I decided to build a billiards room and buy a table! That covered both birthdays and Christmas. I might get him a re-tipping kit for the cues though!

Pretty, huh? Maybe a little tree in the corner where the table is :D

aimg8.exs.cx_img8_2811_poolroom5x7.jpg

Christmas Shopping

I usually pick things up along during the year and stick them in the closet, forget I got them, panic, buy a bunch of gifts, get ready to put them in the closet, see the others, curse because I spent extra money I shouldn't have and didn't need to... It's really rather a holiday routine after all these years.

Cie

I am already about 3/4 done. I hate to go Christmas shopping after Thanksgiving, the stores are always packed. Parking is a nightmare. I do as much as I can beforehand, from catalogs and online!

Christmas Choices :)

If you all would be so kind and help my decide which books to get for Christmas. I have one choice from each of those authors and ANY other recommendations are welcome:

Dean Koontz
  • The Bad Place
  • Intensity
  • Odd Thomas

Chuck Palahniuk
  • Choke
  • Diary
  • Lullaby

Definite Choices: I am Legend and Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide

Thanks!

I have not read Blindness but I keep reading how fantastic everybody says it is and so i'll be getting that one myself too! :)

I was thinking the same thing, SillyWabbit. ;)
But before reading "Blindness", I think I'll read "All the Names" by the same author, since I've wanted to read it for quite a time now. :)

samh5, "The Kite Runner" is a great read, so I would highly recommend it.

samh5 said:
If you all would be so kind and help my decide which books to get for Christmas.

Dean Koontz
  • The Bad Place
  • Intensity
  • Odd Thomas

Thanks!

The Bad Place is one of the few Koontz books I have not read, so can't comment on that one! Intensity is excellent; gripping, tense and a real page-turner. Odd Thomas is also good, but is Koontz in more "light-hearted" mode. Of the two, I would definitely go for Intensity! :)

Maya said:
I was thinking the same thing, SillyWabbit. ;)
But before reading "Blindness", I think I'll read "All the Names" by the same author, since I've wanted to read it for quite a time now. :)

For my Christmas reading I'm waiting to take delivery of "The Gospel According to Jesus" by Saramago - it sounds interesting and is also (sort of) topical.

I just came across The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Hadden. For those of you that have read it, any thoughts?

samh5 said:
I just came across The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Hadden. For those of you that have read it, any thoughts?

Good choice! :D I liked it. Don't know what more to say, since you probably allready know what it's about. ;)

samh5 said:

It's an excellent book! I found the simple, literal writing style strangely compelling. A real page-turner! :)

samh5 said:

Excellent read, probably one of the best i've read this year. :)

Phil

Back