• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Orson Scott Card to J.K. Rowling

She should be bitterly regretting the lawsuit, not the award. If the lexicon was that dangerous, she should have sued to have the website shut down. If it wasn't that dangerous online, it won't be that dangerous in hard copy.

I've just seen this little review of Orson regarding the greediness of Rowling. I wonder what people here think :)

No doubt about it Wave, Mz. Rowling's 'lost' the plot. :rolleyes: ai2.photobucket.com_albums_y14_steelclaw32_laugh1_1.gif

Off topic for a second, what button does one click to the quote (above) the underlined bit sending one to the actual site.? I know it says url thingie but how does it come out the way it does.? :confused:

I've got no allegiance towards Rowling whatsoever and I still don't put a bit of stock into what Card says. He's a guy who looks for angles to play and is very much motivated by political ideology, greed and envy. Her lawsuit seems baseless but her stealing his story is equally so.

Hmm, interesting.I dont know anything about rowling really and never read her books.But is she known for being greedy, and acting like this?

I didn't think so. There were earlier lawsuits, as there often are against successful authors, but the one by Nancy Stouffer was dismissed. JK Rowling hasn't gone after people writing fan fiction on the internet like some people do. I must admit to being rather surprised and disappointed by her action here.

I happen to love both Rowling's and Card's works. But he is being ridiculous to claim that she stole his plot. The coming-of-age plot is all over the place, especially in fantasy. Card makes weak links between the two works, like games played in the air. Quidditch and the battle room have never seemed similiar to me. These are my two favorite books, that I've read countless time each, and I've never thought them as being anywhere close to being similiar.
And as for the lawsuit, the Lexicon's book was mostly taken directly from Rowling's work, and not cited correctly at that. I don't think Rowling is greedy; she continuously supports numerous charities, and after hearing her speak, it's hard to imagine her as anything other than a nice, generous person.

I'm biased though, because the Harry Potter series made up the backbone of my childhood. But I'm dissappointed to see one of my favorite authors be so petty, as Card has been.

My t'pennys worth here.! In all honesty I've never heard of this chap, Card, but it seems, to me anyway, a bad dose of "good" old fashioned green headed jealously to me. I'm not a great 'fantasy' reader myself, apart from the Potter seven parter, I've got Northern Lights trilogy, and real classic The Once And Future King and Lord Of The Rings. And that's about my quota.!

All three tales tell a story a learning process too, three from a male perspective, the other from a female; all three had their the laughs, their WHAAAAT!? and they too had their bitter dose of reality, loss of a friend/s and a spot of doing a growin' up sooner rather then later.

All in all though, most fantasy stories are variation of a theme surely,? it's the presentation that is the interesting bit, and, if possible, throw in something entirely new. One only has to look at the grandddy of them all Lord Of The Rings it's been ripped off left right and centre. A stonking story, if at times, told rather ponderously ai2.photobucket.com_albums_y14_steelclaw32_laugh1_1.gif ai2.photobucket.com_albums_y14_steelclaw32_laugh1_1.gif, the films were, well they were so-so, I mean lets be honest here, there was a hell of a lot in a three books dense as a forest, and the films had to cut something out or do a slight of hand, which for hardcore fans (which I'm not) ai2.photobucket.com_albums_y14_steelclaw32__censored.gif off no-end.!!!

I have to say, I agree with Card on one point, Rowling coming out and saying Dumbledore was gay, what was the point of this? If she wanted him to be gay, why didn't she put it in the book? Was she afraid of losing readers? Does she not have the courage to stick to her convictions? In which case, why mention it afterwards?

My personal view point, is that despite trying to come across as private and publicity shy, she has over the years become a publicity whore! The reason she 'outed' Dumbledore? TO GET VALUABLE COLUMN INCHES! Which is what she seems to crave these days.

My t'pennys worth here.! In all honesty I've never heard of this chap, Card, but it seems, to me anyway, a bad dose of "good" old fashioned green headed jealously to me.

Ender's Game doesn't ring a bell? Orson Scott Card's a fairly prolific sci-fi and fantasy author.

Originally posted by steelclaw32
I'm not a great 'fantasy' reader myself, apart from the Potter seven parter, I've got Northern Lights trilogy, and real classic The Once And Future King and Lord Of The Rings. And that's about my quota.!
I forgot to add I don't read sci-fi either.!:eek:

spark thanks for that info, and no, I've never heard of Ender's Game.

S

I happen to love both Rowling's and Card's works. But he is being ridiculous to claim that she stole his plot.

I just assumed he was being sarcastic to make a point. :confused: Besides don't "they" say that there are only really 7 plots in literature?

I just assumed he was being sarcastic to make a point. :confused:
That was my take on it, too.

I think Card makes a good point about her hypocrisy. She didn't mind the material being on the website (where it helped promote her books); but now is launching a lawsuit because it's in book form. Everyone knows what the source material is; I don't see the problem. If anything, I'd think it would further boost her book sales.

I have to admit I never read Harry Potter regardless that the books are all neatly stacked into my shelf. They were a present.

However, with all the media that went on in the past years I always had the sour impression of Rowling making a media fancy about her books herself. There were always little statements she made to get the media and therefore the speculation going.
She topped that with saying it might be that HP would die in the last book. Of course he wouldn't because who would kill a cash cow ??? Regardless if it's supposed to be the last HP book or not. There will definitely be a follow up someday.

Personally I don't like her, and I second Card's words. He pretty much said what I've been thinking the past few years and I did not have to read her books for that conclusion. ;-)

I just assumed he was being sarcastic to make a point. :confused: Besides don't "they" say that there are only really 7 plots in literature?

You assumed correctly. He was not seriously suggesting she stole his story! He was making a point about heroic fiction.

I have to admit I never read Harry Potter regardless that the books are all neatly stacked into my shelf. They were a present.

However, with all the media that went on in the past years I always had the sour impression of Rowling making a media fancy about her books herself. There were always little statements she made to get the media and therefore the speculation going.
She topped that with saying it might be that HP would die in the last book. Of course he wouldn't because who would kill a cash cow ??? Regardless if it's supposed to be the last HP book or not. There will definitely be a follow up someday.

Personally I don't like her, and I second Card's words. He pretty much said what I've been thinking the past few years and I did not have to read her books for that conclusion. ;-)

He did, actually. For a while, at any rate.;)

Anyway, it doesn't matter how many people buy this Lexicon book. Apparently JK Rowling has a bunch of sketches she did of the characters in the books. If she publishes a dictionary or lexicon or encyclopaedia of Harry Potter and it's advertised as containing original artwork by the author, she'll sell a whole lot of them, this other book notwithstanding.

Back