• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Out of curiosity...

G4G

...how many of you TBF members have had emails like this:

>From Kenneth Sankoh
Abidjan,Cote d\'ivoire
West Africa.

I am Kenneth Sankoh the son of David Sankoh who was the special adviser to the former president of my country Serria leone. Before the death of myfather David Sankoh, he disclosed to me as his first son that he deposited the sum of US$ 18.5million in a private security company abroad in one consignment box tagged family valuables and not as money for security reasons and he instructed me that we should make proper use of the fund for the mutual benefit of the family for future.

Presently,I and my sister are under the United Nations Refugee Camp in Danane the out sketch of Ivory Coast where I am contacting you soliciting for your assistance to transfer this fund into your nominated foreign account for investment purposes in your country.Upon your response to this letter and your acceptance to assist me we shall discuss for your benefit in terms of percentage sharing. Finally, do treat with absolute confidentiality for our security reasons. Thanks for your anticipated co-operation.Reply through (kenn_lillian@yahoo.com)

Best regards,
Your\'s Orphan,
Kenneth and Lillian Sankoh
(For the family).

Stuff like this bothers me because I worry about people like my mil, who is incredibly gullible for such a highly "educated" woman. She's been conned out of so much money it aint even funny. She thinks everyone is just like her.

I got one but it was about millions of dollars made on Russian oil. I got the exact same mail to two of my email addies within three days... Suffice to say that I didn't even have to think twice before deleting it while laughing.

A refugee camp with its own Internet cafe...

I've heard of this scam but never received such a e-mail. What I do get are numerous e-mails purporting to be from eBay, and asking me to send my log-in details. :rolleyes:

Pretty much everyone gets one or more of these some time. They are pretty funny. There are now a pretty large amount of scambaiting sites like this one having fun with the scammers.

Bloody hell! Another one today!

From Miss. Doris Konan
Abidjan,Cote d'ivoire
West africa.
Please reply to k_doris10@yahoo.fr for more details

Dear,
In confidence,I have to introduce myself for i'm Miss. Doris Konan, the only child of late Chief and Mrs. Konan, I wish to request for your assistance in my efforts to procure the transfer of my inherited funds for investment ventures Overseas.

I have Ten Million Dollars ($10,000,000.00) here in my name with one of the prime banks here and I will require your assistance in receiving the transfer of the funds in your local account for investment purposes. As it is my desire to come over to your country to further my education while you take care of the investment of the money.I will be glad to give you 15% of the total sum for your co-operation.

I will be very appreciative if you can return to me with urgent dispatch to enable me advise you on the modalities.

I await in anticipation to receive your immediate response.

My Kind Regards!
Miss. Doris Konan.
NB:please reply to k_doris10@yahoo.fr for more details

CDA, you must have a reputation for being a sucker! :D I haven't gotten one of those for a few years now. I'm starting to feel very unloved. ;)

I have had quite a few of them. I normally like to reply and try to string them along as much as I can while subtly making fun out of them, rather like this guy

This is my favourite from the site

The thing that I found really amazing is poeple DO actually fall for this stuff.

Last night on SNL they did a skit called "The Spammies" and they actually had this "Nigerian" guy on it, so I'm sure this scam is well known.

Doug Johnson said:
Makes me wonder, how did people send strangers millions of dollars before the Internet was invented?;)
Apparently this scam has been going on for years, even before the wide usage of email. Years ago this same scam was done with snail-mail letters in the mail. I imagine it must have been far more successful. Can you imagine getting a personalised letter??! Some of these scams are really elaborate and can even involve the victim going to the country of origin into phony offices, etc. It is a really well known scam, but I think many people don't know about it because their junk mail is filtered with increasing veracity.

I've gotten three of these today. Three!! They are all just a little bit different, but the point is still the same. I've never thought to string them along, but I may do that in the future for HAHAs...

Back