• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Paulo Coelho

Brida

For me is PAULO COELHO ;) I recommend read the books Eleven Minutes,The Valkyries, The Alchemist,The Pilgrimage,The Fifth Mountain,Manual of the warrior of light, By the river Piedra I sat down and wept ..... But my personal favourite so far ELEVEN MINUTES.

:)

My favourite of Coelho's work is The Alchemist :) I bought Eleven Minutes a couple of weeks ago but havn't got round to reading it yet :eek:

Eleven Minutes

It's a very very good book , my second favorite book by Paulo Coelho. I recommend read it.

"Once upon a time, there was a protitute called Maria.... "

The Alchemist is a wonderful book, though i thought the fairytale style weakened it compared to Veronika Decides to Die.

I happened to state my opinion on Paulo Coehlo's writing in another thread (on "The Alchemist") so I'll just quote myself here.

"I'm sorry if I disappoint you, but I didn't like this book at all. I read it few years ago, so unfortunately I'm not able to comment on the details of the book. I'll try to write about my overall impression.

What annoys me most about the book is that Coelho is not one of the great writers. It's certainly not a drawback in itself - the problem is that he pretends to be one. I mean, that probably many readers who enjoy his prose are sure that they are reading a piece of literature from the highest level, while they are not.

Next matter: style of writing, which could be called by some people "magical", or "methaphorical". From what I remember, lots of the maxims made no sense to me, as a result of trying to be too sophisticated. It led to the point where the maxims became incomprehensible and empty. Besides, Coelho's way of writing sounds for me like an incompetent cliche of Saint-Exupery's style.

Not to mention the fact that many of Coehlo's pieces of advice and "golden thoughts" are so obvious and well-known. There was nothing surprising or catching my attention in his novel. No deeper message in an original form, which I expected."

and

"Some people believe that human's happiness is nearby (Confucjusz, for example). No seeking then - be able to live merrily just where you are, make most of the place and its possibilities, be aware that the grass in not greener on the other side. Others prefer seeking as a way of finding happiness, crossing the boudaries of their abilities, changes. To my mind, Coehlo shows both ideas, but doesn't state which one is the true one, which one is the key to achieving real happiness. The result: no message, but mess."

It's my personal opinion, based on "The Alchemist" only. I was so disencouraged, that I haven't read any of Coehlo's later books.

Idun, I felt largely the same about The Alchemist. I was so unimpressed that I'm not in the least bit interested in reading his other books.

Thea said:
Idun, I felt largely the same about The Alchemist. I was so unimpressed that I'm not in the least bit interested in reading his other books.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like Coehlo here. :)

I've recently read an interview with Coehlo and was very surprised that a man who attempts to teach his readers morality, spirituality and how to live your life rightly, can have such views on his own life...Sad.

Idun, the story "Alchemist" is based on, the legend of man travelling and having treasure in his own house is actually very old. I've heard this legend in many versions, there is even the Polish one, in which he travels from Gdańsk to Prague.
IMO, this tale's moral on happiness is that even when we have happiness in hand we must do something to deserve it.

Beatrycze said:
Idun, the story "Alchemist" is based on, the legend of man travelling and having treasure in his own house is actually very old. I've heard this legend in many versions, there is even the Polish one, in which he travels from Gdańsk to Prague.
And there is even an animated version for children about a Silly Goat (Koziołek Matołek in Polish), who, a poor animal, "was looking throughout the wide world something which is very close." :p
IMO, this tale's moral on happiness is that even when we have happiness in hand we must do something to deserve it.
Jefferson wrote that all men have an inborn right to happiness; I don't remember him mentioning that any deserving is required. :D

I respect your opinion of course but I think all of Paulo Coelho books are very very good, nice, clean, simple and profound at the same time.
The Alchemist is an all time classic for me , I've read the lastest one "Eleven Minutes" and IT'S also excellent. I recommend it to all my friends.

For me Paulo Coelho is the most influential authors writing today. :)

"When you want something the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it " :)

Marcia

Brida said:
I respect your opinion of course but I think all of Paulo Coelho books are very very good, nice, clean, simple and profound at the same time.
The Alchemist is an all time classic for me
Could you write what is the meaning of this book? I can find none, but maybe I pay too much attention to wrong aspects. How do you think, what are Coehlo's views on happiness?
For me Paulo Coelho is the most influential authors writing today. :)
Where exactly do you see such a huge Coehlo's influence?

Coehlo's view on happiness is:
Beatrycze said:
this tale's moral on happiness is that even when we have happiness in hand we must do something to deserve it.
Maybe Jefferson wouldn't agree, but I do... :)

watercrystal said:
I agree as well! :)

I liked this! :)

Liking and wishing for it to be so doesn't make it true though. Just an opinion, but it seems to take responsibility and weight off of people's shoulder's if they believe things are controlled by something far greater or more vast than themselves. We often seem to convince ourselves as humans of the things that we want to believe because we like the results better than the alternative. Just a thought...haven't read Coelho any, perhaps I should sometime.

True@1stLight said:
Liking and wishing for it to be so doesn't make it true though. Just an opinion, but it seems to take responsibility and weight off of people's shoulder's if they believe things are controlled by something far greater or more vast than themselves. We often seem to convince ourselves as humans of the things that we want to believe because we like the results better than the alternative. Just a thought...haven't read Coelho any, perhaps I should sometime.

yes, you are right. :)

If you like Coelho, you may like to know that www.thebookpeople.co.uk are currently selling eight of his books in a pack for £9.99!! The books are: Eleven Minutes; The Alchemist; The Fifth Mountain; The Pilgrimage; By the River Piedra...; The Devil and Miss Prym; The Valkyries and Veronika Decides to Die. Bargain!! :)

Paulo Coelho - the "Phenomena"

Brazilian author Paulo Coelho has long proven to be a special phenomena as a writer. After having been an excellent student when it came to writing texts and after a remarkable career as a song writer for famous singers, among them Raúl Seixas, in his homecountry Brazil, Coelho became famous in the whole world thanks to "The Alchemist".

Since the world wide publication of "The Alchemist", a fable about a Spanish shepard boy in search of his treasure, Paulo Coelho has published at least one novel every two years. Each of his books has had a tremendous repercussion on the book markets of many nations. Paulo Coelho has thus become one of the most translated book authors in the world.

Loved by many and hated by a few, Paulo Coelho is a hero writer of our times. He sets trends by simply sharing about his personal thoughts and experiences.

With every new book he manages to reinvent himself freshly as is proven again in his latest novel, "The Zahir", a story about obsessive love. Apart from the world of books, Paulo Coelho is for long present with online reflections and a bi-monthly newsletter that he sends out to his readers through http://www.warriorofthelight.com

It would be nice to exchange opinions on how Paulo Coelho deals with certain topics!

Cheers
:)

"The search for happiness is purely personal and not a model we can give to others." The Pilgrimage
http://www.paulocoelho.com
http://www.warriorofthelight.com

Back