• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

people that can't read in cars>>>WIMPS?

cajunmama said:
I would love books on tape if soooo many of them weren't abridged! I want the whole story!
If you've got a CD player in your car, you could go to Audible.com, find an unabridged work, buy it, download it and then burn it to a CD. (Whew!) :) I don't know if the price is high though, but it certainly is more agreeable if you don't have to convert currencies. :)

Speaking from the other angle though, there are certain books that *should* be abridged... it could get too dull. :D

I should be able to read in a plane, though...

ds

direstraits said:
Speaking from the other angle though, there are certain books that *should* be abridged... it could get too dull. :D

ds

I guess you have a good point ther. Some books have descriptions that go on for pages......could risk falling asleep at the wheel! And thanks for the website. I'll give it a look see later.

i get sick if i read in cars but the trick is to chew chewing gum or a boiled sweet. Its best if your chewing is somewhat frantic although u look a little sorry.

Theres always audio books

Me too

I can't read, I feel car sick if I do (and I never get car sick otherwise). I used to be just as bad on the bus but I'm gradually becoming immune. I read just a little bit more every trip - and I'm alright as long as I'm totally focussed on the book and I can't see anything passing by out the window!

Last time I travelled a long way in the car was with my sister and I drove while she read out loud - the perfect solution. :)

Yes, I also can't read whilst being driven in a car. I haven't tried in a bus, train, tram or plane yet so I'm not sure whether I can or not.

A boiled sweet: they are hard, usually fruit flavoured, spherical (or a little elipsical[?]) sweets, that are to be sucked until completely consumed. They're nicer than my description aswell!

Nah, they're not as big as Everlasting Gobstoppers. They're about the size of a pea - something like that. Maybe a bit bigger infact. And they don't taste like Gobstoppers either, :D. You get them in Strawberry, Orange, Apple flavours, that kind of stuff. They must be an English thing, I thought everybody had heared of Boiled Sweets before you guys started wondering what they are. I can't remember where you are from at the moment though, so it might even just be a Mancunian thing! Although I doubt that. :eek:

Ahh, ok. I did a quick internet search and looks like they're just the equivalent of hard candy, possibly smaller.

I actually heard someone on TV mention "boiled sweets" today, which reminded me that I'd asked about them here.

http://www.sweetsforu.co.uk/ has a section of "Boiled Sweets" for anyone who wants to see them.

I can't read in cars or buses. Makes me wanna hurl! :p Trains are ok though - that's the only thing I miss about catching the train to work. :rolleyes:

I can read as long as I'm in the cargo area of a jeep or van, or something, but not anywhere else. I put an air matress down in a truck bed once and read for six hours straight in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" and didn't get sick. Anywhere else makes me real nausceous and grumpy.

novella said:
Brainstorm:

"The Ford Galley. Never leave home without a lot to eat!! "

Are you tired of having to drive up to windows to ask for more food? Get the new Ford Galley, complete with a full fridge, microwave oven, drinks cabinet, icemaker, and hot plate to keep your soup from getting cold in tricky traffic. Plenty of room for snack storage. Free year's supply of microwavable turkey burgers. New lo-carb menu for dieting drivers.

Nice idea!! But than you have more people on the streets with hot soup in the right hand, cigarette in the left hand, the weel on the knee, brain on holidays and after a red light the hot soup in the lap.

It's the most horrible experience, especially when it's hot here in Aussie. I feel dizzy and the words get all blurry :(

cajunmama said:
Wimpy? No, I just don't enjoy the feeling of being nauseated, that's all. My younger daughter and I are both prone to motion-sickness. I even feel ill sometimes on curvy roads.
Some adrammamine (?) :eek: usually does the trick for me....

Chuchincakes said:
Some adrammamine (?) :eek: usually does the trick for me....
The dramamine would stop the nausea, but I'd fall dead asleep and wouldn't be able to read! :(

Back