• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

people that can't read in cars>>>WIMPS?

I can't read in cars because I get very very sick :( . Like another said, it has nothing to do with being wimpy. I wish I could though, I always feel like I'm just wasting time sitting there.

I was thinking about books on audio for when I drive, but it can be distracting and eventually make me quite sleepy. Also, if I'm driving it's hard for me to concentrate on what the reader is saying. So if I do listen to an audio book it'll have to be on a novel that I've already read.

I seem to have more trouble concentrating when I'm trying to read and sitting in the front seat than when I'm in the back. But it's not because it makes me ill or anything, I just want to see what all is around me.

I should be in the circus.

Not only can I read in cars, I can read in the following places:

Cars at night (that's right, I read by streetlight if I have to)
Boats (I spent many afternoons reading in my grandfather's 24 foot boat on open seas)
Ambulances (I can read in any seat in the back of an ambulance, something that will make the average car reader vomit in a second)
Work (that's right folks, I actually get to read at work)

I would love to be able to read in cars, but I will vomit within minutes. Even reading on planes is enough to make me nauseous. So I settle for listening to music.

mehastings said:
Not only can I read in cars, I can read in the following places:

Ambulances (I can read in any seat in the back of an ambulance, something that will make the average car reader vomit in a second)
Well to be honest, I've never been in an ambulance in my life (not that I can remember), but if I were in one, I would either be in a bit of pain for myself, or for my horizontal friend, who has just been somehow injured. I don't know that I'd get my book out and start having a good read. Five stars go to you, Miss mehastings. Unless, of course, you're a paramedic - in which case, you should be taking care of your patient!

Karina42 said:
So I settle for listening to music.
Listening to music is the best way, in the whole universe, to spend time - except for playing it yourself. You can't settle for it... can you?

My mom likes to attribute my less than perfect vision to reading in the car...don't know where she came up with that!!! :rolleyes:

Nosferatu Man said:
Well to be honest, I've never been in an ambulance in my life (not that I can remember), but if I were in one, I would either be in a bit of pain for myself, or for my horizontal friend, who has just been somehow injured. I don't know that I'd get my book out and start having a good read. Five stars go to you, Miss mehastings. Unless, of course, you're a paramedic - in which case, you should be taking care of your patient!

Listening to music is the best way, in the whole universe, to spend time - except for playing it yourself. You can't settle for it... can you?

I'm an EMT. I read every once in a while on long distance psych transfers while my patients sleep. The paperwork takes about 20 minutes and then I am left with an hour and a half to watch someone sleep, so I read.

You mean people can't read in cars?

That must be ... really, really annoying. I can read anywhere, literally.
I think the only person who can't read in the car is my dad, because he's always driving. So he just listens to a lot of audio books!

I read in the car only if He who likes to pass all trucks is listening to something interesting on the radio. If he's bored, I'll talk to him (oh and how I can talk!).

Herenya said:
...only person who can't read in the car is my dad...
... and me! Unfortunately.

While I'm here, I might aswell tell you about the London Underground. I went to London for possibly the third time in my life, on the 28th of February. The main differences between the previous two times, and this time were that I was older, and I used the Tube a lot more - and noticed how good it is. It's amazing! Absolutely puts the bus system in Manchester to shame! Get yourselves to London to experience this once in a lifetime experience, now! Quick while the stocks last.

Love the Underground...

I visited England with my High School Theatre Company as a sophomore. I had my 16th birthday at the Royal York Hotel. It was a fabulous trip full of plays and historical landmarks.

We rode the Underground a couple times in London. We used it less than intended because there was some kind of a bomb threat and some trouble with the IRA. I do remember how clean it was compared to the "T" in Boston. I also remember the person on the overhead saying "mind the gap" we all thought it was so funny. In Boston they'd just assume you lose a foot.

Actually,
the reason why people find it difficult to read in a car lay in the fact that it is an imballance on the side of our sensory perceptions. For example our ears control our ballance (which detects we are moving), while our eyes scan the region around us to sense our height etc, and our posture determines what mood our body goes into. There are so many scientific reasons. Thats why people feel sick when reading in a car. Its just that the body is confused, and when a body is confused it responds by making the body feel ill.

I just found out that my friend can't read in the car. She reads as much if not more than I do. I sort of stared at her in shock.
"well, I can but then I throw up" she reasonably adds.

I remember coming back from holiday and my dad was pulled over for a breathalyser test, I started talking to one of the policemen who asked me how I could bear to read in the car. He said he could read on a boat, but not a car. I always thought that was ... strange.

n_khoury88 said:
Actually,
the reason why people find it difficult to read in a car lay in the fact that it is an imballance on the side of our sensory perceptions. For example our ears control our ballance (which detects we are moving), while our eyes scan the region around us to sense our height etc, and our posture determines what mood our body goes into. There are so many scientific reasons. Thats why people feel sick when reading in a car. Its just that the body is confused, and when a body is confused it responds by making the body feel ill.
You are correct. It is the same with sea-sickness. People suffering from it should stay on deck and look around, instead of going below to lay down. They just make themselves feel worse when their eyes say they are being still but their inner-ears are telling them they are moving.

When I was working on a large ship I was told to get some bud earphones and listen to music to calm seasickness. This helps to correct the imbalance in the inner ear which is the cause of the nausea. I've found this helps in the car as well - I still can't read for very long if we're going around corners (snow road - bleurghhh), but if it's a straight stretch I'm usually pretty good.

It's kind of hard to read while driving. I have yet to figure out how to read and watch the road at the same time, and hold the book and turn pages while steering.

:D :D

i can't read in cars at all. i used to when i was younger.. last time i tried i got really nauseas. meh. i wish i could read in cars

Back