• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Please offer ..

Motokid said:
Stewart my friend, there are 10,700+ threads at TBF/BAR.

How many of those are pointless to many of the members here? I'm sure the majority of those threads are pointless to at least a small minority of the currently active members.

Would you like us to all PM you with potential new thread ideas so that we may get your permission to post them?

I think StillILearn was looking for some inspirational quotes in light of the current events in the Middle East. Something positive and uplifting in a time of bad news. Why is that such a thorn in your side?
Obviously because StillILearn did not obtain his approval prior to posting the topic.

Motokid said:
I think StillILearn was looking for some inspirational quotes in light of the current events in the Middle East.
See! You don't know either. I've only asked him why, if this is why, and he still refuses to give a simple and straight answer. I'm curious (or confused) as I didn't get it but a bunch of others jumped in to post more - I thought I was missing something.

Seems I wasn't the only one who doesn't know why, Old Sheep. ;)

Stewart said:
See! You don't know either.

I also have no idea why you feel the desperate need to jump into any and every Dan Brown/Da Vinci Code discussion and voice your opinion when almost everybody here can voice your opinon on that topic in their sleep.

Why, by the way are you spending time in the inane General Chat area? Nothing good happening elsewhere at TBF/BAR? Slumming are you? The boredom of the other forums forced you down into my neck of the woods?

Is this thread any more pointless than a thread on occupations, favorite colors, beer, coffee, or what music you might be listening to?

If you are simply looking for a debate I'm sure you know where to find a few.

Funny thing is, I did a little reading (get it Stewart? reading....me...Motokid ;) ) here <-- clicky

...and there's nothing there that says anything about threads having to meet some standard of the Stewart code of reason.

Actually there's nothing there about pointless thread posting at all. As long as the pointlessness is not religious, or politically oriented, or in any way an attack on a specific member, pointless threads are A-OK. :D

Stewart said:
Doesn't bear thinking about. Now, if you had tits... ;)
Stewie, you're a slut. ;)

Stewie and Moto, I think you two need to go to bed, or something. ;) Then Still's thread can go back to being about uplifting quotes, that people should be able to post should they wish.

Moto, are you taking anything? You flit from one opinion to another so quickly... or is it you who just wants to debate? ;)

Post # 1
StillILearn said:
... a few words of peace? Maybe you know a few words which will offer a little comfort to us all and to our small planet? Maybe somethng that you especially love? It couldn't hurt right about now.

Originally posted by Peder
See post #1 for purpose.

A consolidation post for the page finding challenged.

:)

Okay, so what it boils down to is I'm questioning the use of the word offer. Why Please offer - I would probably not have bothered looking at the thread if it said 'Peace Quotations'.

Of course, Moto, there's no Stewart code of conduct - wouldn't dream of it! - but I'm only asking a question and getting nowhere.

Stewart said:
Okay, so what it boils down to is I'm questioning the use of the word offer. Why Please offer - I would probably not have bothered looking at the thread if it said 'Peace Quotations'.

Well, it's quite obvious then.

She picked those words as "Creative Marketing" in order to lure members into her thread who otherwise might not have had a look.

Quite clever I think.

Bravo Still.

Motokid said:
Well, it's quite obvious then.

She picked those words as "Creative Marketing" in order to lure members into her thread who otherwise might not have had a look.

Quite clever I think.

Bravo Still.

Ah, yes ... the old bait and switch ... ;)

W.C. Fields

A small boy lived by the ocean. He loved the creatures of the sea, especially the starfish, and spent much of his time exploring the seashore. One day he learned there would be a minus tide that would leave the starfish stranded on the sand.

The day of the tide he went down to the beach and began picking up stranded starfish and tossing them back into the sea.

An elderly man who lived next door came down to the beach to see what he was doing. "I'm saving the starfish," the boy proudly declared.

When the neighbor saw all the stranded starfish, he shook his head and said, "I'm sorry to disappoint you young man, but if you look down the beach one way, there are stranded starfish as far as the eye can see. And if you look down the beach the other way, it's the same. One little boy like you isn't going to make much of a difference."

The boy thought about this for a moment. Then he reached his small hand down to the sand, picked up a starfish, tossed it out into the ocean and said, "I sure made a difference for that one."

It really is fucking incredible, what's happening here. *shakes head*

For the warzone here and elsewhere (read: Lebanon in particular), "wonder for a second what you will feel when you look around your idyllic neighbourhood and everywhere you see are people who could do you harm. Realize, then, that that's really happening somewhere in the world."

ds

Having stumbled upon and through this thread, I will now offer up a couple words of peace---"SERENITY NOW"...

I think in this thread, as in real time conversations, people drift from subject to subject even in the face of a specified topic. It's interesting and rather amusing to read. No cause for alarm; simply human nature.

Having also stumbled upon and through this thread.............a question.

If someone was pointing a gun at you and you were pointing a gun at them and you new that there was a very good chance that the person would fire at you.............and all this is happening in a matter of seconds.......would you shot first?

If someone was pointing a gun at you and you were pointing a gun at them and you new that there was a very good chance that the person would fire at you.............and all this is happening in a matter of seconds.......would you shot first?

Hi, Chris. I'm glad you stumbled upon this thread. Your question is a good one, and every person who has ever called himself or herself a pacifist has had it asked of them about a hundred times in one form or another. My short answer to your particular question would have to be that I don't have a gun, but here is a longer and better answer from a man who did know that had thousands of guns pointing right at him at most times.

I guess I could do worse than to quote him:

True pacifism is not unrealistic submission to an evil power. ...It is rather a courageous confrontation with evil by the power of love, in the faith that it is better to be the recipient of violence than the inflicter of it, since the latter only multiplies the existence of violence and bitterness in the universe, while the former may develop a sense of shame in the opponent, and thereby bring about a transformation and change of heart.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

StillILearn said:
Hi, Chris. I'm glad you stumbled upon this thread. Your question is a good one, and every person who has ever called himself or herself a pacifist has had it asked of them about a hundred times in one form or another. My short answer to your particular question would have to be that I don't have a gun, but here is a longer and better answer from a man who did know that had thousands of guns pointing right at him at most times.

I guess I could do worse than to quote him:

I can understand your reply and quote. But taking the scenario one step further…………………if you allow your self to be shot and even killed, knowing that you have a family and maybe dependants as well, are you then not as malevolent as the other person you did not shoot?

This time I'll let the man who was MLK Jr.'s teacher answer your question, Chris:

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

In other words, I would probably be safe in assuming that the other person has a family too.

I feel certain that Mahatma Gandhi had all of these same questions put to him many times before he was shot and killed, but he opted for non-violence anyway. Would you feel better if he had whipped out a pistol and shot his assassin? Would this have made our world a better place? Gandhi believed that:

Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.

And Gandhi inspired millions -- including MLK Jr. Both of these individuals believed with all their hearts that :

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

and that:

You must be the change you want to see in the world.

Your questions indicate that you are struggling with the problem of endlessly escalating violence, which is a good thing. :)

Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress.
( Mahatma Gandhi)

Back