• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Poll: How old is the average reader on this Forum?

How old are the readers on this forum?

• under 18

Votes: 29 15.2%
  • 19-29

Votes: 81 42.4%
  • 30-40

Votes: 44 23.0%
  • 40+

Votes: 37 19.4%

• Total voters
I'm 24 and although i don't read as much as i'd like to (time restraints etc)... i love to read, and have done for a long time.

When i was in school, reading was kind of the "geeky" thing to do, and even now, it hasn't really changed in my circle of life. Alot of people I know don't understand why I like to read, but I just see it as they can not appreciate the written language as much as I.

As a kid, I remember reading Matilda by Roald Dahl a few times hehe... ahh those were the days :) (I think i had the record for most amount of borrows on one book in primary school :p)

I'm 24 and although i don't read as much as i'd like to (time restraints etc)... i love to read, and have done for a long time.

When i was in school, reading was kind of the "geeky" thing to do, and even now, it hasn't really changed in my circle of life. Alot of people I know don't understand why I like to read, but I just see it as they can not appreciate the written language as much as I.

As a kid, I remember reading Matilda by Roald Dahl a few times hehe... ahh those were the days :) (I think i had the record for most amount of borrows on one book in primary school :p)

It was like that where I grew up but where I live now most everybody reads. I see people passing the time on the bus that way all the time.

I LOVED Matilda. Still do. I've reread it in the past year. :D

It was like that where I grew up but where I live now most everybody reads. I see people passing the time on the bus that way all the time.

I LOVED Matilda. Still do. I've reread it in the past year. :D

Hehe, i've thought of getting it out again recently actually.
You know how obviously as you get older your perceptions of things change... so i'm thinking it might be rather interesting to read it again. It's been a fair few years since i read it the first/second/upteenth time :)
I guess it's the same as watching movies too - one you watch when you're younger, you may not have enjoyed or even understood... but you watch it a few years later, and walah! :)

Hehe, i've thought of getting it out again recently actually.
You know how obviously as you get older your perceptions of things change... so i'm thinking it might be rather interesting to read it again. It's been a fair few years since i read it the first/second/upteenth time :)
I guess it's the same as watching movies too - one you watch when you're younger, you may not have enjoyed or even understood... but you watch it a few years later, and walah! :)

I find it's interesting to reread childhood/adolescence favorites now. I agree about perceptions changing. You get more life experience, understand new things, and so coming back is so different. I'm going to try to read some books I HATED having to read for school and see what happens now. Without an essay deadline looming they will almost certainly be more enjoyable.

Movies have been a different story. Films I LOVED in my dorm days I could care less about now. They're just not as funny a few years later.

(I love your quote by the way, that's very true.)

I find it's interesting to reread childhood/adolescence favorites now. I agree about perceptions changing. You get more life experience, understand new things, and so coming back is so different. I'm going to try to read some books I HATED having to read for school and see what happens now. Without an essay deadline looming they will almost certainly be more enjoyable.

Movies have been a different story. Films I LOVED in my dorm days I could care less about now. They're just not as funny a few years later.

(I love your quote by the way, that's very true.)

Thanks :) I really like the quote too.. can't remember who wrote it.. but it moved me .. so i quote it often now :)

Yeah i thought the same about old books i hated.. like "to kill a mockingbird" - We were made to read it back in school and watch the movie, and i just didn't get it.. i think i was just too young..
So i'm planning on reading it again soon.. plus i've found a new appreciation for older style books... like charlotte bronte, jane austen etc.. so I think i'll most likely enjoy it now.. strange how those things work hey...

im 20. been reading off and on since i was a kid. really got into heavy reading (reading one book after the other for long periods of time) when I got to high school. now, whenever the time permits and im not feeling lazy, i enjoy a book or two in a weekend.

I'm 31, and I've been reading for as long as I can recall. I'm never without a book, and it's been that way forever. When I was in high school, I would go to the library pretty much every day, to get something out to read. :D

Well...

Although I'm not really alone I still feel lonely being one of two under eighteen readers on here. But since kindergarten I've never been without a book excepting a period in seventh grade where I hardly read at all because I had a bunch of stuff to do then. I have finally gone back to non-fiction after about 7 years without it. As a kid I spent almost all my reading time on non-fiction because I had a restless appetite for knowledge but a single book changed all my preferences and that book would be "Jeremy Thatcher; The Dragon Hatcher" and that book changed my life because had I not read that I would still be an obnoxious teacher's pet and that would be lame. I am not a teacher's pet anymore, in fact I almost hate all my teachers due to their complete lack of any teaching ability.

im 20. been reading off and on since i was a kid. really got into heavy reading (reading one book after the other for long periods of time) when I got to high school. now, whenever the time permits and im not feeling lazy, i enjoy a book or two in a weekend.

I can see you’re reading “Johnny Got His Gun” and I did not know it was a book. I had only heard about the movie so far. But I never watched it because I don’t find it anywhere and I also can’t find a good torrent so I could not download it. But now that I know there is the book I’ve just got very interested in it.

As far as I know, it’s about a soldier who was made legless, armless, deaf and blind so actually he became isolated from the world, is that right?? That seems to be a very interesting reading because I can preview the suffering of this guy. He can't hear, see or touch anything... I think in the tale he asks himself if he’s alive or not, or other questions of the genre, does him? It might be the description of a bizarre and scary experience... Well, that’s what I think the book is about. I will look for it and I may find in any bookstore or library, wherever I find it first.

Under 18 here. A real addict. Got it from my sister.

I won't say my age since it's pretty young. I'm in 7th, that's all I'm going to say. People try to guess my age :D .

I'm 31, my mum read to me from birth and she says I knew the alphabet and most basic words when I started school. Reading has always been easy for me, I have always read for pleasure. I was the kid that lived in the library. I used to sneak books off mums bookshelf when I got sick of my kids books. She wouldn't let me read Flowers in the Attic until I was 11 but I was reading it in secret when I was 9.

32 going on 33 in two months. Life-long reader, just something I was always raised with. We also had a ton of magazine subscriptions around the house-National Geographic and TIME.

I'm 18 and have been reading since forever because of my parents. They don't really read at all but when I was younger they bought me Hooked on Phonics and took me to the library a lot. Not a day goes by that I'm not thankful that they did.

I'm 20. I can't remember a time when I didn't know how to read. I was the only kid I know to get in trouble for reading too much in elementary school. I was always at the top of my class in the Accelerated Reader program (you read books and then take tests on them online for points). When I got ready to graduate high school, the librarian told me I'd checked more books out than anyone else in my grade. My college librarian told me I was her best reader.

Oh..and someone mentioned V.C. Andrews. My mom had a ton of her books, so I grew up reading them. When I got to jr. high, the librarian didn't want to let me check out any of her stuff and I had to explain to her I'd been reading it for years.

I'm 28 now, and have been an avid reader since grade school. During my teens I went through several books a week, and nowadays whenever time permits, which varies from several books a week to a book a month.

why don't younger people don't read?? is it because the nowadays' books are not good as the classic ones? I myself don't like things like LOTR or Harry Potter. I never did. :confused:

Well :) I don't think it's fair to compare the new books to the old ones. The classics are called classics for some reasons. Maybe 100 years later the current books will be included in the classics too.

In addition, have you ever finished reading LoTR or HP? I think both books cater to different readers, HP is more like a young adult's fiction (though, as an adult, I enjoyed it thoroughly) ;) I love LoTR very much, but at the same time I also enjoy Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte. I'm 24 now and I still enjoy reading a lot!

Back