• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Poll: How old is the average reader on this Forum?

How old are the readers on this forum?

• under 18

Votes: 29 15.2%
  • 19-29

Votes: 81 42.4%
  • 30-40

Votes: 44 23.0%
  • 40+

Votes: 37 19.4%

• Total voters
Hey, I'm under 18! I remember everyone beeing happy that I joined a few years back because,finally, "at least some teenagers were reading." I think the issue, though, is that teenagers read, well, crap. They read gossip girl and comic books, and almost no one I know knows anything about literature...they barely know about things like the Three Musketeers, or Frankenstein. But they still read. It really irks me, so much paper wasting on printing and marketing completely useless books when there's great lit and no one reads it when they should.

so, that's my little rant.

I'm 22. I started reading regularly in high school because i was never that good at getting into conversations with my peers. for a while i only read history books (because i wanted, and still want, to be a historian) then once i got into college i started reading classic fiction.

Woo!

There is more than one teen-reader on the forum! Now I feel less alone and you're right most teens do read crap. But I do read classics and have indeed read Frankenstein and I'm currently reading 1984 I'm on page 156 of 256.

Hey, I'm under 18! I remember everyone beeing happy that I joined a few years back because,finally, "at least some teenagers were reading." I think the issue, though, is that teenagers read, well, crap. They read gossip girl and comic books, and almost no one I know knows anything about literature...they barely know about things like the Three Musketeers, or Frankenstein. But they still read. It really irks me, so much paper wasting on printing and marketing completely useless books when there's great lit and no one reads it when they should.

so, that's my little rant.

Very well said. Thank you.

Well, how old are you? I'm fifteen and if you're way younger than the rest of us then you are a bit off on your date and time theories.

There is more than one teen-reader on the forum! Now I feel less alone and you're right most teens do read crap. But I do read classics and have indeed read Frankenstein and I'm currently reading 1984 I'm on page 156 of 256.

Ah yes, 1984...I read that a couple years ago. Of course, coming from a family that lived in the Soviet Union, I generally don't like Geroge Orwell too much, but it was ...enlightening.

So, what are your other favorite books and how did you get into reading?

I'm in my 70s and reading more than ever. It's one of the blessing of retirement as long as your eyes hold up.

oh retirement seems great. I'm 21 and I still got so much years of work and studies lol. I mean, I like to work and study, but I'd love to have more free time so I could read more. There are so many books I want to read... most of them books from the 20th or 19th centuries. And I may read a large number of them in the future. But today, I got so much stuff to do that I take too long to read an entire book. I took 1 month to read a 400/500 pages book (Zola's Germinal) once. I keep wondering what's going to happen in the end of the tale but I got no time to reach the end because I can't read much during my day. That's so annoying, mate. I got a few free time so I must decide if I'm going to read, go out with friends or go out with my girlfriend. usually I choose this last option. But is the world timeless or is it just me??? damn it. :mad:

I've been reading random things from my collection as of late. As of september-ish i have 1228 books not quite sure anymore, maybe i should recount. Well I've read only a couple tom clancy of which i have 13 and mostly non-fiction recently or political science. Next book is a text book called the fundamentals of physics from 2005. Sounds fun, no?

why don't younger people don't read?? is it because the nowadays' books are not good as the classic ones? I myself don't like things like LOTR or Harry Potter. I never did. :confused:

I've been reading random things from my collection as of late. As of september-ish i have 1228 books not quite sure anymore, maybe i should recount. Well I've read only a couple tom clancy of which i have 13 and mostly non-fiction recently or political science. Next book is a text book called the fundamentals of physics from 2005. Sounds fun, no?

When I was in high school, I discovered Tom Clancy and devoured The Hunt for Red October, Red Storm Rising, Patriot Games, Cardinal of the Kremlin, and Clear and Present Danger.

Fundamental of physics sounds fun; then again, I am an engineer. For maximum enjoyment of that book, bring along a working knowledge of algebra and trigonometry.

why don't younger people don't read?? is it because the nowadays' books are not good as the classic ones? I myself don't like things like LOTR or Harry Potter. I never did. :confused:

I think it is because kids are more likely to play video games or play on the internet in their spare time than read. Also, I have noticed that kids that were read to when they were little seem more inclined to read than kids that were not.

I'm 33 *sigh* and I have read at least a chapter a day for as long as I can remember.

When I was a youth, I'd hide in the bathroom to find time away from my sister or parents.

In high school I played softball, basketball and soccer, so the only time I could find to read was during class (did you know teachers actually frowned on this even though I was 4.0 student?:eek: )

When I was in college, I admit that most of my reading was required and I didn't get as much enjoyment out of it, but I still read.

I am now in the middle of two books, Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell and Quantum Mechanics by Albert Messiah. My husband just shakes his head at me and expresses his wonder at how someone who has (and still does) killed so many brain cells could find interest in quantum physics and historical fiction at the same time. May my quest for knowledge never wane!

I'm 30. When I was a kid, my parents were always reading, so I picked up the habit from them. To me, doing some reading each day seems such a natural thing, but I remember when I was in high school, one year we had to submit at least 9 book reports as part of the English curriculum, and lots of the kids in the class seemed to think it was a huge task to read that many books.

I'm 30. When I was a kid, my parents were always reading, so I picked up the habit from them. To me, doing some reading each day seems such a natural thing, but I remember when I was in high school, one year we had to submit at least 9 book reports as part of the English curriculum, and lots of the kids in the class seemed to think it was a huge task to read that many books.
Nine is not a huge amount of books to read. But if the students could not choose which books they would read, I mean, If the teachers gave them a fixed list, then it would be boring. Yes, because the teachers could not guess what kind of books each student likes.

I was not very addicted to reading when I was on high school because this very reason: I was told to read books I did not liked.

Now that I'm 21 things are the opposite: no one tells me to read anything, actually the routine don't gives me much time for reading.

Nine is not a huge amount of books to read. But if the students could not choose which books they would read, I mean, If the teachers gave them a fixed list, then it would be boring. Yes, because the teachers could not guess what kind of books each student likes.
We were allowed to use any books (fiction or non-fiction) for our reports, which made it even odder to me that some in the class thought 9 books was a lot to read. The teacher had a box of books available in case anyone wanted them, but it wasn't required to use them.

I think some of it has to do with how busy they are - some of my student's barely have time to breathe, must less read for fun. I do, however, have a core bunch of readers who are always reading something - one in my homeroom goes to the library almost every other day, as she reads that much.

9 books - was that in a YEAR? Our 7th graders are required to read 18 (of their choice - though they do get assigned different genres throughout the year). Most of them accomplish this goal with no problems.

Back