• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Poll: I just finished reading...

I just finished reading...

• Keep the thread as it is

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Keep the thread but remove the 'sticky'

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Delete the thread

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Move the posts into the relevant book discussions

Votes: 12 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice

Please take the time to vote in this poll. I have been asked to point out that all votes are confidential.

Thanks.

Ah, I accidently assumed that this poll was identical to the others, and so didn't bother to read the last option and clicked "delete thread" instead. Would it be possible to correct this mistake when taking a final tally, please? Just to confirm, I would like to vote for "move the posts into the relevant book discussions". Sorry about this :eek:

Great minds think alike, MC. I cocked up my vote in one of the other polls... Ice said she couldn't change it, but would take it into account. Nice to know I'm not the only dumbarse :D

Kookamoor said:
Great minds think alike, MC. I cocked up my vote in one of the other polls... Ice said she couldn't change it, but would take it into account. Nice to know I'm not the only dumbarse :D
Haha :D . Yeah, I noticed that on the other poll, and so realised that it couldn't be changed, which is why I asked for my mess-up to be taken into account when the final tally was made.

P.S Did you happen to catch the final score of the netball match between NZ and Oz on the weekend? ;)

I voted delete without reading the last option too, because I presumed it would be the same as the other two polls...

However my vote is still delete, as the last two options are quite compatible with one another. I'm happy for existing "Just finished reading" posts to be moved into the relevant book/author discussion threads, and then the thread be deleted. Presumably those who are voting for "move the posts into relevant threads" don't intend that the thread should continue, and the mods continue moving each new post into the relevant book/author threads? Perhaps the third and fourth options should be combined: "Close the thread, move posts into relevant threads, and then delete the bugger!" It'll still cause the mods an awful lot of work...

Yes - in hindsight they could probably be merged. What I proposed was to close the thread and then move all the book reviews/discussion into the thread for that particular book, or if no such thread exists then to create one. There were no plans to keep the thread once all the relevant posts had been moved. It will take a while for us to do though.

Scottishduffy said:
Why not keep the thread, but just clean it out out every month or so?

The intent is to start threads, or post in threads that already exist about the book you just finished reading...thus generating discussion...

Why should I post a comment in "I just finished reading" about Lolita when I can post in the thread that already exists?

It's redundant and doesn't really act to generate discussion.

The reason I like the thread is because it is an easy place to get book reviews. Alot of the books in there don't have their own threads. The person may not have much more to say about the book other than the fact they liked it. Which is a poor starter of a book discussion.

Sometimes I just wander in there to look for idea an what to read next. It is an easy to see place where I can get summaries and a thumbs up/thumbs down opinion on lots of books. Of course, I could just be terribly lazy.

P.S Moto, I liked the old Avatar better.. made you so intimidating. :)

I don't mind searching for old threads for whatever book I want to talk about as long as the search function works properly. I've had some trouble on occasion and it takes lots of time to search page by page. I agree it would be better to start new threads when possible.

There's no law that says you have to post a long winded, complete review of a book. You could simply start a thread that says:

"I just finished reading Rich Dad/Poor Dad...anybody want to discuss?

As for intimidating....it doesn't fit my mood at the moment...

I'm with Moto on this one. I for one would rather people started threads with a brief comment on what they thought of the book than post in the 'Just Finished' thread where we can be sure a new book will be mentioned very soon after.

Granted a big thorough review is awesome at times, but not a demand, I for one a not always ready for putting together a full review as soon after finishing a book as I am for discussing it more informally. Discussion rocks and too many potential book discussions get stuck in that thread :/

abecedarian said:
I don't mind searching for old threads for whatever book I want to talk about as long as the search function works properly. I've had some trouble on occasion and it takes lots of time to search page by page. I agree it would be better to start new threads when possible.
Go to the advanced search and select the radio button to "show results as posts" rather than the default which is "as threads". This makes the context of the search term immediately apparent :).

Kookamoor said:
Go to the advanced search and select the radio button to "show results as posts" rather than the default which is "as threads". This makes the context of the search term immediately apparent :).

Thanks, I'll try that.

There are certain people that I like to view their recent readings. When I see that they have just finished something I then read their post about the book. Many times I then put it on my TBR list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back