• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Poll: I just finished reading...

I just finished reading...

• Keep the thread as it is

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Keep the thread but remove the 'sticky'

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Delete the thread

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Move the posts into the relevant book discussions

Votes: 12 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we should all make a pact, promising to faithfully post what we've just finished reading, creating a new thread if needed.

Another way would be for each participating member to create a thread for their current reads. Something like: abecedarian's Reading Life, etc. But I think it would be easier for someone to do a search for a particular book if there are more threads by title or author..

abecedarian said:
Maybe we should all make a pact, promising to faithfully post what we've just finished reading, creating a new thread if needed.

Another way would be for each participating member to create a thread for their current reads. Something like: abecedarian's Reading Life, etc. But I think it would be easier for someone to do a search for a particular book if there are more threads by title or author..
But for example, would you have done a search for "The Long Rifle" OR "Stewart Edward White" if you had not read about them first. Searches are usually done on what is on the best seller lists or what is popular at the time. Books that you have never heard of sometimes pop-up on the Just Finished Reading topic and if they sound interesting then the person can check them out further. I hope I am not out in left field and screwing up this topic. :)

muggle said:
But for example, would you have done a search for "The Long Rifle" OR "Stewart Edward White" if you had not read about them first. Searches are usually done on what is on the best seller lists or what is popular at the time. Books that you have never heard of sometimes pop-up on the Just Finished Reading topic and if they sound interesting then the person can check them out further. I hope I am not out in left field and screwing up this topic. :)

You're right, I probably wouldn't have ever known about the book in the first place. That's why I suggested a thread for each member to mention their latests books. That would take care of the "just purchased",currently reading" and "Just finished" categories. New members would be encouraged to jump in and start their own threads. I always look at the new posts to see what everyone is up to. Maybe something like that would work and perhaps generate more discussion.

muggle said:
But if a thread appears in the 'New Posts' with the title 'The Long Rifle by...', will you not look at it? If I read that book at a later date and want to hear someone's feedback, I'm not going to go through the 5 zillion post 'Just Finished Reading' thread to find feedback. I would assume that all comments would be in the thread for the actual book.

abecedarian said:
That's why I suggested a thread for each member to mention their latests books. That would take care of the "just purchased",currently reading" and "Just finished" categories. New members would be encouraged to jump in and start their own threads. I always look at the new posts to see what everyone is up to. Maybe something like that would work and perhaps generate more discussion.
This is an interesting idea! Start a thread on this one, abece, and see what the general feeling is. The only problem I would have with it is that it might dominate the forum and the new posts section, and not really indicate what book was being discussed.

Now if there was a separate forum category and only members could post on their own threads, that could be interesting. Firstly, it would be a record for each member of what they are currently reading. Secondly, it would ensure that book discussion stayed in the book discussion sections. Interested people could PM the member that read it and ask them to post in the related book thread.

The thread that started all this: clickety here was based on the flap about to much posting of non-book related floo-floo.

So in order to "influence" more posting of book-related subjects, I suggested getting rid of the threads that make it easy to post a simple one line comment on a book, and hope that members switch to at least reviving old threads, or starting new ones.

I'm pretty fascinated by the responses to the three polls that are now going on here.

Could additions be made to members profile options that would allow them to have a list of books they've read? Limit the list to maybe 25 entries, or even 10. That way, if I have some common ground with a member I can look at their profile and get a quick glimpse of what they've been reading.

Kookamoor said:
This is an interesting idea! Start a thread on this one, abece, and see what the general feeling is. The only problem I would have with it is that it might dominate the forum and the new posts section, and not really indicate what book was being discussed.

All that needs done is to create a profile field for books read this year. That way you can look at someone's profile to see what books they've read.

Stewart said:
All that needs done is to create a profile field for books read this year. That way you can look at someone's profile to see what books they've read.
Awesome! That'd be great! But I wouldn't want it limitted to 10 or 25... I usually read many more than that in a year.

Yeah, Moto - you nailed the problem on the head - it's very likely that this would come full circle back to being the same problem, but instead of one 5 zillion post thread there would be a zillion 5 post threads from each memeber.

Stewart said:
I think that this is a great idea. /Much/ better than having a million new threads, most of which would be posted in a couple of times, clogging up the forum.

Maybe the question should be what will members do if this thread is locked/deleted? Will they start new threads, or search for the thread that's related to the book/author, or not post about it at all. If closing this thread leads to more discussion and posting in threads directly related to the book then that's what TBFers are after right? But if the only thing that changes is that we have one less thread then nothing is gained.

Maybe what should happen is a trial period of 2 or 3 months. Lock the "I just finished reading" thread and see what people decide to do when they finish reading a book.

Not really - I assume that everyone who voted to move the posts to the relevant discussions do not think that the thread will be kept once the posts have been moved. It was stated previously in this thread that the bottom two results should be merged :)

I just sort of assumed that if one person has the power to get a thread locked that 14 people could easily keep a thread open....

my twisted way of thinking I guess....:eek:

If one person makes a complaint that a thread breaks the terms of the MA and the Moderators, after reviewing the thread, come to the same conclusion, then the thread is locked. A few threads have remained open even after people have made complaints about them. This is a completely different situation. IMO this particular thread detracts from meaningful discussion of a book, which is why I offered to move the posts into the relevant book discussions. In my mind, no-one is going to search through over 1000 posts just to find someone's thoughts on a particular book- hence why I personally think this thread should be deleted.

If it has to go, then I'm for locking it. Its nice to have an example of a great thread that earned tons of replies. While folks won't go through it page by page, there will be those who will browse through it for old times sake. That thread is kind of what this board is about is it not? If it's junked, that's o.k. too, though I think it would be a sad thing to do.

That is why I proposed to move the posts to relevant discussions. This is one thread I feel is rather pointless. It is just as easy to start up a thread on the book in question. I can see where you are coming from in the case of the Currently Reading and Recently Purchased threads though. In my mind the Currently Reading thread used to serve a very good purpose, though it is now slightly redundant due to the fact we have the Currently Reading section under our names. I assumed that people, once they had finished a book, if they had wanted to discuss it could have started up a new thread or posted on a thread that already existed on that particular book. If they didn't want to discuss it, then it would be a logical conclusion that a little while after they had posted in the Currently Reading thread that they would have finished it. I am actually still rather keen on the Recently Purchased thread and would like to see that one remain.

The are just my own opinions :D I know people would like them to remain as they have been around for a long time, thus the reason we wouldn't delete them outright. However, I think the amount of people who will go back and review them will be very small.

SFG75 said:
Its nice to have an example of a great thread that earned tons of replies.

That thread is kind of what this board is about is it not?

Hmmm...great thread? What's so great about it? Just because it has many replies does not make it great does it? Is McDonalds a great restaurant? They've served billions of meals?

In my mind a great thread is one that provokes discussion.
The "I just finished reading" thread takes away from that doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back