• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Promoting B&R Offline?

I definitely agree with the the post-it notes suggestion. It's harmless, and a complete choice. The notes aren't forcing people to register here and discuss books. Besides, my library is very lenient; I don't even think they'd mind. Sometimes you should break the rules a little.

I did not get to the bookmarks Friday night (nor did I get to my dinner or my bed). I will still gladly do them, but it might take me a few days to find the time. Also, I don't have the facilities to make them into a PDF file. Is there someone out there that can help me with that?

Not to continue and argument, but Novella does have a point about leaving bookmarks or post-its in library books. I just called a friend who is a librarian and she said that it would be unappreciated at the library she works at. Her reasoning was that if they allow one person to leave a message in a book, they must allow everyone to do so. The result is that people leave offensive messages. She said that they flip through their books to make sure people have not left things in them. I suppose you could ask your librarian how they feel about it.

Perhaps it would be best to use Darren & MC's suggestions of using them in bookcrossing books and books donated to charity shops (or otherwise given away).

How about a printable flyer for bulletin boards at libraries or other public places where post-its and bookmarks would not be a great idea? For that matter, it wouldn't hurt to donate a stack of bookmarks to leave out for patrons at the library...At my library, there are always several from different sources to choose from.

For that matter, it wouldn't hurt to donate a stack of bookmarks to leave out for patrons at the library...At my library, there are always several from different sources to choose from.
I was thinking about this, you could always pop in and ask the library if they would mind you making up a few bookmarks and leving them at the front desk (or similar) for people to take if they were interested?

I was thinking about this, you could always pop in and ask the library if they would mind you making up a few bookmarks and leving them at the front desk (or similar) for people to take if they were interested?

Of course this might work best in libraries where they know you...I practically live at my local library just up the road, and there's a favorite branch of the Wichita library, where the kids insist we go when we have Wichita stuff due...

I just called a friend who is a librarian and she said that it would be unappreciated at the library she works at.

Well yeah....of course that's what the LIBRARIAN said. I wouldn't expect anything different.

But then...we're all never supposed to go faster than the posted speed limit either are we?

It's a subtle thing. Clandestine.

What would be the best way to get some new members who may wish to discuss Lolita? A small post-it note hidden before the last chapter of the Library's edition of Lolita obviously.

But don't do it y'all.....it's just wrong....and the mean mean witch librarian might get upset about it.....:D

Wouldn't that be interesting though, reading an intro thread that states: "I was referred here by a post it note wedged in a book. So now I'm here." :D

Thanks mehastings! These are really nice. They'd look nice printed on cream or tan cardstock too...will have to experiment. Good thing I just installed new ink cartridges!

What other ideas do people have for promoting this site?

Advertising on other sites, or search engines (eg Google) is way too expensive.

If you're talking about online advertising as well as offline now, how about making small, simple image signatures for members to use on other forums?

I like the bookmarks mehastings! :D

Tattoos-Oddly enough, I'd do it.

As for a practical suggestion-how about a referral contest? Winner gets a Dan Brown novel signed by Stewart.:D

Tattoos-Oddly enough, I'd do it.

As for a practical suggestion-how about a referral contest? Winner gets a Dan Brown novel signed by Stewart.:D

Now THAT's a contest I'd enter:D Even better would be the picture of Stewie's face as he signs that book...Great idea Scot!

I'm glad you all liked them. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I may play around with some other ideas as I get the chance. Stay tuned!

They'd look nice printed on cream or tan cardstock too...

Actually, I've already printed them on a cream cardstock (something about great minds thinking alike). They looked GREAT!

Hi,

My thoughts .. you just need to get the forum mentioned more online.

Tonight, as a seasoned forum member of 2 other sites and Global Admin at one, I came looking for a Book Forum and found you through Google at only the second suggestion !!! :) Pretty bl#### good !!!

I'm learning how to do some site development at the moment and would be happy to put a link on my own website to yours. Links on other sites will "bring em in ..."

Darren, I would like to make a bookmark with an alternate design. Could you put up a hi-res version of

logo.gif
and
topimage1.jpg
?

I've uploaded a hi-res of the brown logo to the resources directory, but I don't have a hi-res of the top image.

Back