• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Proposal-a "how to" & hobbies subsection

SFG75

We need an area for the more utilitarian books. I'd like to propose a "how to" or "toolshed" section where books on building, gardening, or other hobbies can fit into. The general book discussion is just...odd to have that IMHO.

Any thoughts?, other recommendations?

Good idea. The Stitch and Bitch series by Deb Stoller are great for those who want to learn to knit or crochet. Fun to read and reasonably clear direction..

Interesting suggestion.

My thoughts:

I don't think hobby or pastime related section is needed. Why? Because the deamnd to talk about such books would be depressingly low. A forum dedicated to a particular hobby or pastime better serves as recommendation and review areas for those books. I'd never ask about or discuss the newest edition of Bazelon & McGuinn's American Military Button Makers and Dealers: Their Backmarks & Dates at BAR; I'd do it on the Civil War Collector's list I belong to. I wouldn't think about reviewing Papers Please! here either; that is more appropriate to a WWII collector's forum. People into sailing or fishing would be better served at forums dedicated to those pastimes. If BAR did allow a hobby section, would we also have to add a Gaming & RPG section? I hope not.

As far as how-to books, I can maybe see a sub-forum on non-fiction. Maybe. I'd need to be convinced it's a good idea though. You can pretty much leaf through a how-to book and know if it's going to give you what you need.

Interesting idea. I wonder if any of our members are good enough in the kitchen to provide me with some good recipes?

Whatcha want? :p

Are you serious? I'm always looking for new ideas. I get home before my wife so I do most of the evening meals. I so most of the standard stuff Fried Chickien to Lasagna to Curry Chicken. The smoked salmon I served last week (with a dry Riesling) went over real well, but now I'm out of ideas.

I agree with Spark that it already can fit in other section like tha chat,or none fiction,maybe as pined thread or stuck food and DIY witchever words.

Food mostly depend on the climat,with the rising heat here we are mostly into cold food-tomato mozzarella with olive oil and bazil-better to salt a bit the mozza before including in slice.One slice tomato one mozza.

Potato salade is another great one,with half cooked eggs 6mm,sliced onions,pickled gherkin sliced(not to much),parsil.and a vinaigrette.

I'm also mostly doing the cooking.

Interesting stuff.I would suggest opening threads in the chat section, or sub-threads. Whoever would be interested can make their posts.
If we make another section, I think will take away from a "book forum"

Now, me personally, I would take part in a diy/hobbies/gardening and cooking threads.:D

I have dabbled in these (big time) many years.:whistling:

I agree with Spark that it already can fit in other section like tha chat,or none fiction,maybe as pined thread or stuck food and DIY witchever words.

Food mostly depend on the climat,with the rising heat here we are mostly into cold food-tomato mozzarella with olive oil and bazil-better to salt a bit the mozza before including in slice.One slice tomato one mozza.

Potato salade is another great one,with half cooked eggs 6mm,sliced onions,pickled gherkin sliced(not to much),parsil.and a vinaigrette.

I'm also mostly doing the cooking.

The tomato mozzarella with olive oil sounds very good! Can you recommend a wine to serve with that?

Is it something like bococcini salad? Alternate tomato, cheese?

Robert , go open a recipe thread in chat:D

Is it something like bococcini salad? Alternate tomato, cheese?

Robert , go open a recipe thread in chat:D

Can it wait? I'm still waiting to find out if he can suggest a wine with that dish. I would guess a white wine, chilled, possibly Pinot Grigio; but I want to hear what he has to say.

Back