• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pulitzer Prize in Fiction 2008

Wow... I haven't heard of any of those. Either I need to pay more attention or books just aren't receiving much media attention these days... likely both...

Junot Diaz won? Seriously?

That's awesome! I loved The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (bought it the day of release, no less!)

But...no offense, isn't the Pulitzer prize meant for deep/moving/inspiring pieces of work? I loved the novel, don't get me wrong, but I would think something a little more "mind expanding," would take the cake.

Well, who cares. Congrats to one of my favorite authors.

PS: To anyone who hasn't read Diaz, smack yourself. He has a short story collection out titled "Drown," which will slowly nudge you into his style of writing. Once you finish that, pick up his novel. They're both great.

Nope not read any of them - even looking back through the archives (Thanks for the link), there are not a lot of authors I've heard of let alone read, with the exception of the famous ones - Hemmingway, Faulkner, Updike, Steinbeck and Roth.

PS: To anyone who hasn't read Diaz, smack yourself.
Having just read The Brief And Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao, I think I'd rather smack Diaz. I didn't like it and relied on Yunior's engaging voice to push me to the end. I know I've read it from the wrong angle, but there was so many annoying little devices and whatnots in there that annoyed me more than anything else. By the end I didn't care a jot about Oscar and read the last forty or so pages just to finish the damn thing.

PS: To anyone who hasn't read Diaz, smack yourself. He has a short story collection out titled "Drown," which will slowly nudge you into his style of writing. Once you finish that, pick up his novel. They're both great.

I agree. His short story collection is exceptional.

Back