• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Question, book recomendations

chanter

Hi, I really like books such as The Giver, about ideal societies and such, but haven't been able to find many books that have that as a plot. Are there any suggestions? Thanks, steph

Califia's Daughters
by Leigh Richards
Fahrenheit 451 by Rab Bradbury
Heart of Gold by Sharon Shinn

Although these aren't utopian societies like the Giver was supposed to be set in, the first two are imagined futures for our society, in Califia's Daughters, society has been decimated by terrorism and disease and the men number only one to every ten or eight women. F 451 is a classic you must read at some point in your life. A government controlled society where firemen burn books.
Sharon Shinn is probably pretty far off the mark of what you were looking for, but her Samaria books are set on a planet populated by humans who fled from the destruction of Earth, Heart of Gold isn't one of these, actually it's more of a romance than anything...nevertheless her books are great!
Hope I helped a bit.

Well Lois Lowry hasw similar books to The Giver. They are The Messengers and Gathering Blue.

~ Also there is Unwind by Neal Shusterman
~You may like the Host by Stephanie Meyer

Are there any other type of books that you like?

I suggest The Dispossessed and The Left Hand of Darkness, both by Ursula LeGuin.

Among older books, take a look at The Man from Altruria by William Dean Howells.

Host by Meyer
2.gif
.............. oops, already mentioned

Limbo, by Bernard Wolfe.

Depends what is meant by "ideal society". Most recommendations here are rather dystopian (as is "Limbo").

The Messenger by Lois Lowry:

Pretty much the same as The Giver, though there's a naughty forest involved.

The Swarm by Frank Schatzing:

First three chapters are boring, but hey: introductions tend to be boring. But as you go along the book, the suspense builds up and everything goes into chaos. I must say, it's so detailed and intricately written, I'm completely engrossed in it right now though I've read it almost eight times. The horrifying part is that everything is explained logically. Yikes.

The Host by Stephanie Meyer:

Not sure about this one, but has a twinge of suspense in it. Though I must say, didn't enjoy it.

Back