• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Question for Moderator, *^_^*

Crystal

kickbox
Hello, moderator,

I have a question. Would you like to help give an answere or something. Thank you!!11 :)

What would you do to keep a thread as clean as it can, I mean as less spamming as. I sometimes found my self annoyed by those too much, too much, farfrom thread topic spamming, maybe, it is only me. :eek:

There is nothing you, as a member can do about it. And the moderators can't just go around deleting posts that members happen to not like.

We only get rid of advertisements, and offensive posts.

So, you'll just have to accept it, or ask nicely to please not spam a certain thread.

Cheers, Martin

Moderators can also split threads (an off topic thread can easily be made into two or more on topic threads) or join threads together should they contain a similar or identical topic.

watercrystal said:
Hello, moderator,

I have a question. Would you like to help give an answere or something. Thank you!!11 :)

What would you do to keep a thread as clean as it can, I mean as less spamming as. I sometimes found my self annoyed by those too much, too much, farfrom thread topic spamming, maybe, it is only me. :eek:
hey watercrystal why dont you make your own forum, and then you can make sure you get rid of all spam,n block out who ya want....

On the other forums I moderate or admin on (two and two respectively) I have no quibbles about deleting multiple posts, renaming threads if they aren't descriptive enough, joining related threads, closing threads, editing other peoples' posts if they make an arse of vB code, or moving them between other forums - it's not an arrogant position, it's the role, and I would never see a need to consult with the original poster about such edits or movements.

Mile-O-Phile said:
On the other forums I moderate or admin on (two and two respectively) I have no quibbles about deleting multiple posts, renaming threads if they aren't descriptive enough, joining related threads, closing threads, editing other peoples' posts if they make an arse of vB code, or moving them between other forums - it's not an arrogant position, it's the role, and I would never see a need to consult with the original poster about such edits or movements.

Indeed. If a thread gets woefully off topic I just split it. Edit the first post in the new thread so people know what's going on and leave it at that.

If people are constantly spamming with one word answers that serve no purpose other than getting their post count up I delete the posts and send the individual a pm to explain why I did it.

And if people have messed up their little quote boxes, or mistyped their links and put their images in wrong, I nip in and fix it.

If I think the individual is going to be upset then I leave them a note so they know who did it, and there are enough other moderators that they can go to them and complain. But part of the point of having moderators is to stop people going mad with the spam and taking over every thread they can get their hands on. There's no point in threatening to do a thing because you have super moderator powers, that will always make you look like an arse, if there's a problem just fix it.

Martin said:
There is nothing you, as a member can do about it.
Cheers, Martin

Actually, as a member, you can do something about the posts that annoy you. If you find a particular post offensive, click the red triangle in the top right corner of that post. This allows you to 'report the post' to a moderator along with the reasons you find it offensive. This brings it to our attention, making it more likely that it'll be dealt with.

Hi, fluffy bunny! you are a moderator now!(or you have been? :rolleyes: )whatever.

Thanks everyone! :) got some idea, atleast.
Ps: fluffy bunny, congrats! :)

( hope you do not mind this delayed congratulation thing. :eek: )

Beat me to it fluffybunny. :)

As the forums get busier, it's difficult for the mods to read all posts as they come online.

So, if a post or thread really bothers you, don't wait - send a report or PM one of the mods directly.

As far as threads going OT - we're more relaxed about it here than other forums I've been on. I suppose we could be more strict - be cutting, deleting, and moving stuff to our hearts content - but do the members, esp the regular posters really want this?

Guess what I'm saying is it's a fine line between allowing the natural flow of conversation with the back & forth banter that occurs and becoming thread-nazis where everything except on-topic comments are deleted.

What do you all think?

Ell

I personally enjoy some banter, and I think as long as it's confined to General chat that there's no problem with it :)

Sometimes I think we go overboard (and I say WE meaning me too LOL), but I also think it's better to be too lax than too strict. The banter builds a sense of community that makes this more than "just" a book forum. I think if a member feels their thread is getting trashed too much they should just pipe up and ask us to stay On-topic -- I'm sure that would work for us "regulars" as we don't joke back and forth to annoy.

Yeah we do go a bit overboard sometimes :eek:

But I agree that it's not done to annoy anyone and if we were asked to stay 'on topic' we would - I just enjoy the banter :D

I personally enjoy the off-topic banter, especially since it does stay in general chat. The natural flow keeps things fun and interesting. It makes this one of the more fun book forums, since it seems we have a real sense of community here.

Ell said:
As far as threads going OT - we're more relaxed about it here than other forums I've been on. I suppose we could be more strict - be cutting, deleting, and moving stuff to our hearts content - but do the members, esp the regular posters really want this?

YES!

I sincerely would. :)

I originally came here to discuss books (rather than say "kewl" game, "nice link") and I'm dismayed that the sum of book discussion is:

• I'm looking for a book title;
  • Have you read this? - yes it's cool! - i agree - it's great
  • Anyone know any other books by %author% (look at the bloody Other Books By section in the bloody book;
  • What's your favourite book?;
  • What have you bought?
  • What are you reading? (probably what I've bought! :rolleyes:)
  • Kewl game (grow up!)
  • Dan Brown :D

I'm always quite amazed when I talk about the stylistic content of a book I get comments in the vein of "I could never read a book like you as I couldn't analyse each word/sentence/chapter like that- it would take the fun from it" - well don't read f%&*$ing books then. :mad:

Mile-O-Phile said:
YES!

I originally came here to discuss books (rather than say "kewl" game, "nice link") and I'm dismayed that the sum of book discussion is:

• Anyone know any other books by %author% (look at the bloody Other Books By section in the bloody book;
  • What have you bought?
  • Kewl game (grow up!)

I'm always quite amazed when I talk about the stylistic content of a book I get comments in the vein of "I could never read a book like you as I couldn't analyse each word/sentence/chapter like that- it would take the fun from it" - well don't read f%&*$ing books then. :mad:

This is really cool!

As for me, I would BE very glad and willing to get involved in discussing and learning and communicating.

well, HONESTLY, I also want to have some fun and smile and laugh. Ummmm, whatever, I think I would like to make contributions! :)

Mile-O-Phile said:
YES!

• What have you bought?
  • Kewl game (grow up!)

Go elsewhere then.

Back