• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Question for Moderator, *^_^*

Mile-O-Phile said:
  • I'm looking for a book title;
  • Have you read this? - yes it's cool! - i agree - it's great
  • Anyone know any other books by %author% (look at the bloody Other Books By section in the bloody book;
  • What's your favourite book?;
  • What have you bought?
  • What are you reading? (probably what I've bought! :rolleyes:)
  • Kewl game (grow up!)
  • Dan Brown :D

I'm looking for a book title
-> some people seriously have trouble finding the title of a book that they truly enjoyed. Why is a BOOK forum a bad place to ask this question?

Have you read this? -> perhaps someone wants to know if its a good book before purchasing it. A good book doesn't necessarily mean an in-depth analysis of the symbolism or writing style, etc, sometimes a good story makes an interesting read.

Anyone know any other books by %author% -> Sometimes merely looking at the OTHER AUTHORS section isn't good enough. Maybe the author they're looking for isn't listed or they want additional recommendations. Other readers are a good place to find out this info.

What's your favorite book? -> This tells people a lot about other readers. It tells them what they find interesting, what is important to them, what kinds of stories/authors they like. Its very useful when getting book recommendations from other people if you know what they like. A lot of people frequent book forums for recommendations of similiar books or good reads that others have enjoyed.

What have you bought? -> same comments as above and some people like to share their excellent deals.

What are you reading? -> If one knows what others are reading at the moment, they can ask whether or not the book is enjoyable or worth reading for themselves. It is easiest to remember a book while reading it. And since most people purchase more than one book at a time, this isn't a great indication of what they are currently reading.

Kewl Game -> GENERAL CHAT...GENERAL, I repeat. It doesn't have to be about books and if you don't like it, don't read it.

In addition, not everyone gets enjoyment from analyzing a book to death. I'm glad you do, for me, I prefer the escape provided by a good book. I don't have to study the stylistic content to enjoy a book, I can simply immerse myself in a story and be happy. Furthermore, simply because I do not overanalyze my books does not make me a) stupid; b) not worthy of reading; or c) not as good as you. And since a BOOK forum is about BOOKS (besides the GENERAL chat), the above topics are all on-topic and relate to the forum. Being rude to the other members simply because they don't discuss the things you would like to discuss is ridiculous and mean. Maybe if you would like to discuss such aspects of books you ought to start your own threads. I bet people would join in your discussions if you thought enough to start a discussion yourself. Perhaps you never considered that option, but it just might be an idea worth pursuing. And if you truly think that the members of this forum aren't good enough for you, then leave. We're not forcing you to stay and read all the conversations that you find so mundane.

Appreciate all your comments, so far.

I agree that one of the nice things about this forum is that it has a friendly, community-like feeling. Part of this is achieved by the joking and banter that goes on as people get to know each other. I wouldn't want to see this part of the forum lost.

Mile-O-Phile said:
I'm always quite amazed when I talk about the stylistic content of a book I get comments in the vein of "I could never read a book like you as I couldn't analyse each word/sentence/chapter like that- it would take the fun from it" - well don't read f%&*$ing books then. :mad:
Mile-O, I feel your pain!

Since the inception of this book forum, there have been varying degrees of serious book discussion and 'fluffiness', depending on the active members at any given time. As in most forums, there tends to be an ebb and flow of membership that dictates the overall tone of discussions. Do I think things get silly at times? Yes. Do I wish for more serious discussions at times? Yes. That being said, it's up to the members to dictate where discussions go.

As a moderator, I've noticed when I get into more involved (serious) discussions, the discussion seems to grind to a sudden halt! I still haven't figured out if it's something I said :rolleyes: , the fact a moderator said it, or if no one is interested in discussing further. There's always a voice in the back of my head that some members feel moderators should be seen and heard as little as possible (because it's what I've thought myself on forums where the moderator tends to take over every discussion). As a result, I've tended to back off and let the forum be whatever it's going to be - depending on the members.

So, I encourage all members to keep posting and starting threads you wish to discuss - someone's going to pick them up eventually.

Would it be correct to say, in general (I know there'll never be 100% consensus) that if everyone tries to keep the OT stuff in the General Chat area and out of the regular book discussion - and the mods try to keep a better reign on the spamming - that most of you would be happier?

Ell

Ell said:
As a moderator, I've noticed when I get into more involved (serious) discussions, the discussion seems to grind to a sudden halt! I still haven't figured out if it's something I said :rolleyes: , the fact a moderator said it, or if no one is interested in discussing further. There's always a voice in the back of my head that some members feel moderators should be seen and heard as little as possible (because it's what I've thought myself on forums where the moderator tends to take over every discussion). As a result, I've tended to back off and let the forum be whatever it's going to be - depending on the members.

I know what you're experiencing here, because I've been through the same thing on the hardware forum I used to be a Mod for. If a conversation is going off-topic and you or antoher Mod steps in with an on-topic reply, the banter will immediately stop -- kinda like the kids gettin' caught with their cookies in the cookie jar! But, why a Mod posting would bring a serious discussion to a halt, I just don't have a clue, sorry. :(

Ell said:
Would it be correct to say, in general (I know there'll never be 100% consensus) that if everyone tries to keep the OT stuff in the General Chat area and out of the regular book discussion - and the mods try to keep a better reign on the spamming - that most of you would be happier?
Ell

Define "better reign on the spamming", please. Spamming by the regular members straying off-topic or the more "generic" spam from new users wanting to adverise or just wreak havoc on the forum? Better reign as in more "back to the subject please" posts or thread splits, post deletes, etc?

As I said before, I think we need to be careful not to become too rigid in our handling of the forum. I wouldn't mind a gentle reminder once in awhile, but I would be very uncomfortable and would probably stop posting, if I were to receive that same gentle reminder about every fluff post I made.

Ell, I don't envy y'all, but I do respect the way the Mods have acted on this forum so far -- to date, this forum has been one of the most enjoyable forums I've seen, and a lot of that has to do with how it's Moderated. :)

{Tigress} said:
Define "better reign on the spamming", please. Spamming by the regular members straying off-topic or the more "generic" spam from new users wanting to adverise or just wreak havoc on the forum?

I'd define spamming as anything that does not warrant discussion - advertising of course, but also the endless list of posts with links to web games and dancing carrots (or whatever), and pictures.

Advertising is just a pain in the arse and I'm sure we're all agreed on that.

Endless list of web games and dancing carrots, in my opinion would be better organised in a thread for the listing of web games rather than the clutter that's currently there.

As for the posting of pictures (i.e here) this is not discussion (as the summary of the forum says that it is for) and is rather selfish as it shows no sense of consideration to other users' bandwidth.

Mile-O-Phile said:
Endless list of web games and dancing carrots, in my opinion would be better organised in a thread for the listing of web games rather than the clutter that's currently there.
By "there" I taking you to mean the Off-Topic forum, right? To my mind, there should be very little moderation of the Off-Topic forum -- I firmly believe in having a place where we can do pretty much what want. And if that means five threads about different computer games, or just general nonsense, then sobeit -- I just don't see a issue here, sorry.

Mile-O-Phile said:
As for the posting of pictures (i.e here) this is not discussion (as the summary of the forum says that it is for) and is rather selfish as it shows no sense of consideration to other users' bandwidth.
In the example you've given, you're arguement about bandwidth just doesn't make sense to me. The title of the thread clearly indicated pictures are being posted, so those who have slow connections or don't want to have to download large image files can simply not enter those threads. However, I do agree that some consideration should be given to posting large pictures in an on-going thread of another topic.

And Mile-O, I must admit, you are one of the few people I have ever met who exceeds me in anal retentiviness! :D (I mean that in the most affectionate way! asmilies.sofrayt.com__5E_y_kiss.gif )

If I may add my cookie :)

I really love this place. Not because it is about books but because of the freedom and fun. Every other forum is full of people like Jello.

I really don't see a problem. I mean can't there be room for both? I have had silly conversations on here and also very serious book related conversations. If you don't like the spam, ignore it. If you do like it, add to it.

REALLY? What is the problem?

If there is something serious being talked about and there are 6 posts of off topic, then you use the QUOTE button and you reply to the part that interests you and then then somebody can choose to reply or not to reply?

I think people really need to stop trying to control everybody and mold the world to how they want it to be. They need to learn that because they like something ( im looking at you jello :p ) they are not right and everybody should not conform to their ways of thinking.

I really hate the whole, we must stay on topic business. WHY??? I mean, in real life do you stay on topic? You meet your friends for a drink or dinner. You start talking about books or cars and then sombody makes a joke! Do you look at them and tell them to stay on topic? That's idiotic! A conversation should flow with free exchange of ideas. Should be organic. It should be fun :)

And so said the wabbit... rant over :D

SillyWabbit said:
I really hate the whole, we must stay on topic business. WHY??? I mean, in real life do you stay on topic? You meet your friends for a drink or dinner. You start talking about books or cars and then sombody makes a joke! Do you look at them and tell them to stay on topic? That's idiotic! A conversation should flow with free exchange of ideas. Should be organic. It should be fun :)

I had been thinking the very same thing earlier. I'm beginnin' to think like the Wabbit! asmilies.sofrayt.com__5E_v_hairraise.gif

SillyWabbit said:
I think people really need to stop trying to control everybody and mold the world to how they want it to be. They need to learn that because they like something ( im looking at you jello :p ) they are not right and everybody should not conform to their ways of thinking.

I thought of that later. All people are different and shouldn't be forced to be the same, that would be insanity. Just because people are each different from one another doesn' t make one or the other better, they're just different.

Yup :)

In life many people will do things that we don't like or we don't understand but it's not for me or any other person to tell them they are wrong or not to do things that way. We have to accept that people are different with different likes and ideas. We just have to get along. There is room enough for everybody. AND if you really really really can't do that then just leave.

I've seen such off-topicness as here before - the other forums I use tend to stick to topic quite well. It's quite off-putting sometimes, especially whe you're new and confused, to see a question asked and then 5 pages of unrelated babble - entertaining, but I always think... dumdeedum I'm not going back to the main question, evidently they all got bored!

It might be nice to have the 'general' area divided into further categories... make it a bit bigger... actually that make make it even worse. Hmmm.

Ah but the point is that I would not tell you to be MORE spammy! The point is we should not be telling anybody to do anything at all! What right do we have to do that? Are we children to be told what to do??? The point is you come here and accept the way it is. If you don't like it then leave and if you do then stay. Much better than trying to FORCE things on others :)

Mile-O-Phile said:
Name your threads with a decent descriptive title and I won't have to open them. ;)

Well, you're welcome to just ignore all sillywabbit threads ;) I would sure miss your comments tho :D

Back