• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading multiple books at a time

tallwhitegirl

I always find myself with multiple books that I'm reading at a time(of course not simulataneously). Does anyone else besides me have this habit? My husband thinks I'm weird to do this.:rolleyes: I'm sure I can't be the only one who does this, right?:eek: Isn't it just second nature for those of us who read both fiction and nonfiction regularly to read many books at a time? Examples of others reading multiple books at a time would perhaps once and for all prove I'm not weird, just an avid reader. Although - who's really normal anyway?

Your not the first or the last to read more than one book at a time!
Tell hubby your normal.
I have 3 books on the go right now and wouldnt have it any other way :D

Ruby

Who wants to be 'normal' anyway, it's merely a setting on the drier anyway;) Really, I think multiple books are more sensible at times than sticking to only one. I know if I get stuck in a single book, and don't have another ready to pick up, I am more likely to drag my heels with the first book and it takes me longer than it should for me to get done. I guess it depends on the types of books I'm reading, and what else is going on in my life at the time.

I have read two books at a time before. Can't really do anymore then that though. I also have to keep one of them light. I never thought I could do that, but found it was pretty easier then I thought.

Usually I just stick to one book as I think that I get more out of the book that way. It just helpes me to properly immerse myself in the book, rather than getting the two plots mixed up all the time. However, if I'm reading a rather large book (as I am at the moment) and books for bookrings come along then I set aside my current read to start on the bookring one to keep it moving on as quickly as possible, and then just go back to my previous read.

Right now I'm reading 7 books at the same time and here is a list of them.:D

"books I read on monday,tuesday, thursday and friday"
The Drawing of the Three
Fallen Idols
The Ghost of Sairaag
Prince Caspian
Eragon.

"A Book I read on wenesday"

Prey the one by Michael Crichton

"And a book I read on the weekends"

Legacies the Corean Chronicles which I will start this coming weekend

And I don't get the plots mixed up either:cool:

you're not alone. :) i typically have three or four going at the same time. i think six is the most i've ever juggled though.

currently working through Grass for his Pillow, The Third Policeman, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, and rereading The Hobbit.

Sometimes I like to read a classic-type book and a modern book at once. I usually read 1-3 chapters from the Classic a day and then however much I can from the modern. It works nicely, I think.

Currently balancing two-which ever one I read depends upon the mood that I'm in. one is non-fiction and the other is popular fiction.

Hmmmm. I have several going, I know that, but how many/
Lets see.
Vera- Schiff
Speak Memory- Nabokov
Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita, a Casebook- edited by Ellen Pifer
Forever Amber -Wood(something)Woodiss...?
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy- actually its the 5 in 1 version, and I have only read 3 so far.
S is for Silence -Grafton (kinda got dropped for Nabokov :eek: )

thats all I can think of, there may be a stray bookmark somewhere though, ya never know! if so, it'll turn up sooner or later. :)

Oh! theres always the Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine on the shelf in the "reading room". :rolleyes:

So fear not! Who gets to say what or who is "normal" anyway? :D

Only when I have a reason to do it. I am reading two books at the moment because one of them is too bulky and heavy to carry around, so I read it at home and take another one with me. Sometimes I read two -or three- because I wanted to take part in a forum discussion without leaving a book I was already reading.

Normally i only read one book at a time and I almost always have another book waiting to be read. Any time there is not a book waiting in my bookshelf I simply go to the library and get one.

oh man.. i read so many books at one time. i'm trying to stop but its taking a while to finish them all up. i have about 4 books just paused while i take turns reading about 3-4 other books. one of them is nonfiction and composed of short stories so that works... another two are short story books.. i don't get the plots mixed up in my head but its an annoying habit sometimes

Wow, I am normal! I am not happy unless I am jugging at least two books, sometimes more. I actually went through a dry spell after Christmas and didn't have anything to read. I frantically searched through Amazon and the book forums I belong to and came up with several titles. So now I am reading two simultaneously and have several more waiting for me. Yes, I'm a book junkie! But, no 12-step program for me, thank you--oh, unless there's a book for each step and we can read them all at the same time...???

I try not to, but sometimes I do, usually when I am reading two books by the same author, or on the same subject, to compare. I find it harder reading two distinctly different subject matters.

At the moment I am juggling, The Enchanter and Ada, both by Nabokov, and The Handmaid's Tale by Atwood.

Handmaid's Tale is bedtime reading, as I struggle getting to sleep and like to read something a bit lighter than usual. Maybe Handmaid's Tale isn't exactly light, but I'm not reading too much into it, which is probably why I've been on with it for weeks now.

The two Nabokovs, one I'm reading as it's being discussed on here, and the other I'm reading because it is just brilliant, and I can't wait any longer to read either of them.

As of now I usually read two books at a time. The limit used to be four but I thought that was too much so I cut the amount of books down a bit. Even so, I've always been a bit of a book slut (or the male equivalent of one.. ;)).

a list of books i'm reading right now:
eragon
city of ember
wyrd sisters
city of the poet(in russian)

yep, as you can see i do it too.

I find it very hard to concentrate on two fiction books at the same time. The only time I'll read two books is if one is fiction and the other is non-fiction. Then I have no trouble separating the two.

I never read more than one fiction at the same time. But I usually read one fiction, one nonfiction and one "spiritual" books at the same time.

I find it hard to read more than one fiction at the same time, because of the plot mix up...

Back