• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

The Drowned and the Saved - Primo Levi. No words are appropriate, least of all those on the book jacket. You have to read the book for yourself. It is a must-read.

Just checked him out on Wiki... how would you rate the other novels in the Matthew Shardlake series?
I liked all of them to varying degrees, the last best, I admit. There were several threads to the story meshing nicely. The battle scene toward the end was very well done I thought, using the real battle, and real names from said battle. At the end of each book are Historical Notes that Sansom includes regarding the actual events that the stories are built around.

The first one, as all firsts of series, was slowed some for set-up, but a good story all the same, and necessary to the series as a whole. Sansom's attention to period detail and the politics of the time is both accurate and fascinating. The twists and turns of the mysteries themselves are interesting and Matthew Shardlake as a character and man equally so.

For me Dark Fire was the weakest, but was still interesting, it's premise was good but I found the story too padded for my taste. Others might not think so.

As a series I highly recommend it.

A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters :star3:
The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley :star3:
Therapy by Sebastian Fitzek :star5:

Three Seconds - Anders Roslund and Borge Hellstrom. "Winner of the Best Swedish Crime Novel." If they say so. See review.

Back