• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

I finished my second reading of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. His artwork is weird, but I liked his darker take on Batman. :star4:

I recently finished 1984 by George Orwell. An intense novel written in 1949, imagining the social and political condition in future i.e. almost 35 years hence 1984.

Mircea Cartarescu - Orbitor: Right Wing :star5: Though not quite as fantastic an ending as I'd been hoping for - then again, it's hard to end a story like this, and the ending isn't not great by any stretch. 1,500 pages of gloriously surreal asanity.

Chuck Sambuchino, How To Survive A Garden Gnome Attack

I now know how to handle myself against both zombies and garden gnomes. For now, the zombies bother me more, but every little bit helps and I'll sleep a little sounder tonight.

Alberto Méndez, Blind Sunflowers

Four loosely connected novellas set at and following the end of the Spanish civil war, focussing on people on both sides who lost, what they lost, and how they try and fail to live without it. The mechanics of denial breaking down. Precise, heartbreaking, depressing. Reminds me of nothing so much as Hwang Sok-yong's The Chronicle of a Man Named Han by way of Oksanen's Purge. :star4:+

What's it about Brk? I know I've read some of the books you recommend but would like to know a bit about this one before pursuing it. :)

It is about a man who is the lone survivor of a plague. This plague, what is called the Vampiric Plague, has caused all other humans to turn into vampires. The main character (Robert Neville) struggles with many things: trying to come up with a cure, being hunted and harassed by night by the vampire population, and of course being the last human on earth (so he thinks).

This is an older book written in the 1950s. A book, some would say was ahead of its time. Several different movies have spawned from this book. Most recent (and the only one that I can remember seeing) was the 2007 film starring Will Smith and titled the same as the novel. However, this version had some major deviations from the book.

It is about a man who is the lone survivor of a plague. This plague, what is called the Vampiric Plague, has caused all other humans to turn into vampires. The main character (Robert Neville) struggles with many things: trying to come up with a cure, being hunted and harassed by night by the vampire population, and of course being the last human on earth (so he thinks).

This is an older book written in the 1950s. A book, some would say was ahead of its time. Several different movies have spawned from this book. Most recent (and the only one that I can remember seeing) was the 2007 film starring Will Smith and titled the same as the novel. However, this version had some major deviations from the book.

Thanks brk 3: However, I'm not a fan of anything vampirey or zombiesh so I think I'll give this one a miss. Thanks anyway for the review. :)

Back