• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

I had to snicker at my five year old earlier. He was holding my book bag with the four books I picked up earlier.. and he asked didn't I have anything GOOD to read to HIM??? All I had in the bag were these:

Pillars of Salt-Fadia Faqir
A Time to Meet-Fernando Sabino
Nest in a Cage-Foluke Ogunleye
Soul-Andrey Platonov

Thanks, MonkeyCatcher and ions! I'll keep those in mind.

You know, I can't wait to go to Borders. I have $10.05 in Holiday Rewards to use for my next visit.

I had some time to spare today so I got some second hand books:

Bluebeard's Egg - Margaret Atwood
Espedair Street - Iain Banks

The rest of the alphabet wasn't very interesting. :rolleyes:

i purchased ;

Lord Of The Flies - William Golding

did'nt study this at school and seems most have read it and feel like im missing out!!

We Are The Ones We Have Been Waiting For - Alice Walker
His Dark Materials Boxed Set - Philip Pullman
The Polysylabic Spree - Nick Hornby
Housekeeping Vs. The Dirt - Nick Hornby
Captain Alatriste - Arturo Perez Reverte
Purity of Blood - Arturo Perez Reverte
The Fencing Master - Arturo Perez Reverte
Celebrations - Maya Angelou
A Rogue's Life - Wilkie Collins
The Meaning of Night - Michael Cox
I Like You - Amy Sedaris
The Judds - George Mair
Coming Home to Myself - Wynonna Judd

A trip to my favourite second hand shop resulted in:

The Angel of the West Window* - Gustav Meyrink
The Enchanted Wanderer and Other Stories - Nikolai Leskov
For the Good of the Cause - Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Home of the Gentry - Ivan Turgenev
Collected Plays vol 7 (contains 'Schweyk in the Second World War') - Berholt Brecht

£19 the lot.

*hopefully the translation of this will be better than with 'The Golem'

No, it's rude to do here. Unless it's a picture thread it's poor manners to be posting pictures. If you really have to share which edition was bought include an ISBN or a link.
Irk. :(

And I thought I was being imaginative. Ooops.

ds

Please don't start. It's annoying. Images should not be unsolicited.

I would tend to agree with ions. Apart from the loading time they can take, especially the larger ones, they are also eating up the bandwidth of the site from which you are hotlinking. They don't tend to be happy if they find out.

If you had skype now I'd chat with you.

[Frantically get's the thread back on topic]

Er... I recently purchased some books... er, it's something that I wanted for a long time. It's called The Rapture of Canaan, and here's what's it's about:

Members of the Church of Fire and Brimstone and God's Almighty Baptizing Wind spend their days and nights serving the Lord and waiting for the Rapture--that moment just before the Second Coming of Christ when the saved will be lifted bodily to heaven and the damned will be left behind to face the thousand years of tribulation on earth. The tribulation, according to Grandpa Herman, founder of Fire and Brimstone, will be an ugly time: "He said that we'd run out of food. That big bugs would chase us around and sting us with their tails . . . He said we'd turn on the faucet in the bathroom and find only blood running out . . . He said evil multitudes would come unto us and cut off our limbs, and that we wouldn't die . . . And then he'd say, 'But you don't have to be left behind. You can go straight to Heaven with all of God's special children if you'll only open your hearts to Jesus . . .'"

Such talk of damnation weighs heavy on the mind of Ninah Huff, the 15-year-old narrator of Sheri Reynolds's second novel, The Rapture of Canaan. To distract her from sinful thoughts about her prayer partner James, Ninah puts pecan shells in her shoes and nettles in her bed. But concentrating on the Passion of Jesus cannot, in the end, deter Ninah and James from their passion for each other, and the consequences prove both tragic and transforming for the entire community.

It's also inducted into Oprah's Book Club, and you know that's a lot of brownie points right there [maniacal grin ala Jim Carrey would look like through your door's peep hole].

ds

Back