• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

I needed a thesaurus so I went to my local used book store. While I was there I found Ketchum's novel- it's on my reading list. That's the exciting story behind the purchase. :cool: :rolleyes:

I needed a thesaurus so I went to my local used book store. While I was there I found Ketchum's novel- it's on my reading list. That's the exciting story behind the purchase. :cool: :rolleyes:

Shoot, I was hoping for some drawn out bit of drama..you'll have to work on that..it can be your homework:D

I am such a dork. I went to the mall not planning on spending any money, but Barnes & Noble was having a 30% off sale, and I just can't pass a deal like that up...

So I walk in, still convincing myself that I am not going to buy anything, but when I walk out a few minutes later, my purse is fifteen dollars lighter and I'm carrying two books: Witchcraft: A Secret History and Valley of the Kings.

I know I'm a nerd now that I can't stop buying history books. Until recently I exclusively read fiction.

I am such a dork. I went to the mall not planning on spending any money, but Barnes & Noble was having a 30% off sale, and I just can't pass a deal like that up...

So I walk in, still convincing myself that I am not going to buy anything, but when I walk out a few minutes later, my purse is fifteen dollars lighter and I'm carrying two books: Witchcraft: A Secret History and Valley of the Kings.

I know I'm a nerd now that I can't stop buying history books. Until recently I exclusively read fiction.

We feel your pain, o sister of the Federation of Bibliophiles:)

I bought Catch Me if You Can for $1 at the thrift store. They have good finds if you can get through all the trashy romance novels :p

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon arrived today. I'll be finishing Ulysses tonight and starting V., Pynchon's first novel, on the day that his latest, and possibly last?, work arrived in the mail.

Good luck with Pendulum MC!

I wouldn't touch Eco without a good dictionary. Not just concise, no no. ;)

That's one thing I like about him! Of course it would get tedious if every writer wrote like that, but I like the challenge now and then. I enjoy discovering how perfectly chosen the vocabulary word is..

Just ordered these books:
His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman (the entire HDM = 3 books)
To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee
Perfume, Patrick Süskind

Hopefully I'll get them this year:p All of them in Norwegian. Prefer reading books in their native language, but it takes me longer time to read in English. And I'll be working alot the next months, and there are so many books I wanna read, so thats way I read them in my native language.

That's one thing I like about him! Of course it would get tedious if every writer wrote like that, but I like the challenge now and then. I enjoy discovering how perfectly chosen the vocabulary word is..

Indeed! It's not that he uses difficult words, he uses the perfect word. I just happen to have to look up the perfect word when it comes to Eco.

Have I mentioned how much I love interlibrary loan? These came in today:

Efrona: An Armenian Love Story-Stina Kathchadourian (picking a book for Armenia was tough due to the wide variety of choices)

Bruna and Her Sisters in the Sleeping City- Alicia Yanez Cossio (Ecuador)

A Grain of Wheat- Toyohiko Kagawa (Japan)

As the Crow Flies- Veronique Tadjo (Cote d'Ivoire)

I, The Divine, Rabih Alameddine
A Winter Book, Tove Jansson
The Swallows Of Kabul, Yasmina Khadra
The Weight Of Numbers, Simon Ings
My Name Is Red, Orhan Pamuk
Best And Edwards, Gordon Burn

Back