• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Last night, I bought Yann Mortel's Life Of Pi and Hisham Matar's In The Country Of Men.

I picked up a few from a street market last week:

The Mosquito Coast - Paul Theroux
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke
Woman on the Edge of Time - Marge Piercy

I recently purchased The Five People You Meet in Heaven to add to my library just because I like it so much. I also stopped by my favorite little book store and picked up The Slaughterhouse Five (next on my to-read list), a collection of short stories by Charlotte Perkins Gilman including The Yellow Wallpaper (possibly my all-time favorite short story), The Awakening, Bel Canto, A Clockwork Orange and A Terrible Love of War

Hope some of these are good =)

I haven't bought any new books in a while (because, well, I have way too many books I haven't read yet as it is) but today was a busy day. I picked up

Walter Issacson's Einstein
Johh Feinstein's Tales From Q School

and then three books from Borders "Buy 2 get the 3rd free" promotion (which gets me every time)

Jon Meacham's American Gospel
James Swanson's Manhunt
David Maraniss' Clemente

Just back from the library, where I picked up a nice stack of interlibrary loans:

The Seventh Elephant-Alexis Stamatis (Greece)

If on a Winter's Night a Traveler-Italo Calvino (Italy)

Four Corners-Kira Salak (Papau New Guinea)

Have Mercy On Us All-Fred Vargas (France)

Mindless Eating:Why We Eat More Than We Think-Brian Wansink

Abyssinian Chronicles-Moses Isegawa (Uganda)

Decisions, decisions...:D

I've had enough for fiction as of late. I love Vonnegut and everything. But so it goes. Wilentz is widely known as one of the best scholars of history around. I love the time period that this book is set in as it deals with the crumbling power and fall of the federalists in post-revolutionary America. I chose the Darwin book as it's one of those books that you've always read about in books, but have never read. At a certain point, that gets too annoying for me, so I'm compelled to check it out. Carter's book has been out for a few months now. While I already know how Bush has royally screwed up everything he's labored to change, I'm interested in reading of Carter's view of how things should be.

The Rise of American Democracy: The Crisis of the New Order, 1787-1815: College Edition, Volume I"
Sean Wilentz; Paperback;

The Origin Of Species
Charles Darwin; Paperback;

Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis
Jimmy Carter; Paperback;

:cool:

I've had enough for fiction as of late. I love Vonnegut and everything. But so it goes. Wilentz is widely known as one of the best scholars of history around. I love the time period that this book is set in as it deals with the crumbling power and fall of the federalists in post-revolutionary America. I chose the Darwin book as it's one of those books that you've always read about in books, but have never read. At a certain point, that gets too annoying for me, so I'm compelled to check it out. Carter's book has been out for a few months now. While I already know how Bush has royally screwed up everything he's labored to change, I'm interested in reading of Carter's view of how things should be.

The Rise of American Democracy: The Crisis of the New Order, 1787-1815: College Edition, Volume I"
Sean Wilentz; Paperback;

The Origin Of Species
Charles Darwin; Paperback;

Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis
Jimmy Carter; Paperback;

:cool:

Carter's book does sound interesting. I have mixed feelings about the man though. My issues goe back to his liberal stance on matters of faith...But I'd like to know what he has to say just the same.

Back