• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

just picked up watership down by rich adams and all three books of the the sunset warrior trilogy by eric lustbader.i have not read these since high school! all for under $4 at a used bookstore.

These just in from the library:

The Antipeople-Sony Labou Tansi (Zaire)

Blanket Boy's Moon-Peter Lanham (Lesotho)

Translations from the Night-Jean-Joseph Ravearivelo (Madagascar)

Women's Fiction from Latin America-ed. Evelyn Picon Garfield

AquaBlue, how many books do you own? It seems like you get nothing done on this forum except for listing your purchases! ;)

I want to read 1984, but I must resist going to the library and read my own books a little bit more.

most recently purchased books

i work at a bookstore, making it extraordinarily difficult to avoid buying stacks of books at a time and getting far far ahead of my actual reading... right now i'm hoping to have my current stack completed before christmastime, considering school and work factors as well. my stack, in order, is as follows:

the time traveler's wife - audrey niffenegger
jade peony - wayson choy
alias grace - margaret atwood
less than zero - bret easton ellis
helen of troy - margaret george
the picture of dorian gray - oscar wilde
foucault's pendulum - umberto eco
larry's party - carol shields
the boat who wouldn't float - farley mowat

titles recently removed from the stack (please, feel free to make cases for the books to be put back in the stack):

the alchemist - paulo coehlo
glue - irvine welsh
the god of small things - arundhati roy

d

fantasy moon, i see you're reading song of susannah... i can only deduce that means you are nearing the end of the path to the dark tower. i finished the quest last summer. i'd love to hear your thoughts as you trudge through book 7...

the picture of dorian gray - oscar wilde
larry's party - carol shields

titles recently removed from the stack (please, feel free to make cases for the books to be put back in the stack):
the god of small things - arundhati roy
d

You have some interesting choices there. Try the Oscar Wilde. Once you adjust to his language you will be impressed by the decadence and drug culture of over 100 years ago.

Larry's Party was a good read. Not serious, but I really liked Larry and his hedges. Read it in memory of Carol Shields who died only a year or so ago, much too young.

Finally, put The God of Small Things back on the stack. It is not an easy read, but one you will not soon forget, both for the story and for the rhythm of her language.

A jem in the rough

I recently found a great book by an unknown author on Amazon. It is entitled The Shaping of a Destiny by Chris Matherne. I took a chance and it really paid off. Great action and a very good story; a good read, I recommend it highly. I would say more but I don't want to give anything away. I will choose an unknown author from time to time because I will have no idea what to expect; it can be exciting. This book made me glad I did.

Tell us what books you have recently purchased so we can look at you in awe, or laugh and point at you for buying tripe.

For me:
Yann Martel - Life of Pi
Malorie Blackman - Noughts and Crosses
Alice Sebold - The Lovely Bones
Charles Dickens - Bleak House (Everyman's Library Edition)
PG Wodehouse - Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit (Everyman's Wodehouse Edition)

Mxx

Foyles rugby tackles my wallet yet again...In order of page count, and therefore order tbr...

The Sound of the Mountain - Yasunari Kawabata
garden, ashes - Danilo Kis
The Discovery of Heaven - Harry Mulisch
Pan Tadeusz - Adam Mickiewicz
The Man without Qualities - Robert Musil

Foyles rugby tackles my wallet yet again...In order of page count, and therefore order tbr...

The Sound of the Mountain - Yasunari Kawabata
garden, ashes - Danilo Kis
The Discovery of Heaven - Harry Mulisch
Pan Tadeusz - Adam Mickiewicz
The Man without Qualities - Robert Musil

Some people work for food...you work for books? :p Looks like a good haul though..

The Very Thought of You by Lynn Kurland
Much Ado in the Moonlight by Lynn Kurland

Having new books to read makes me happy even if it will probably take me awhile to read them due to previous literary obligations.

Double Whammy by Carl Hiaasen

10339294.jpg

My purchases while on vacation in Portland:

The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion by Sir James George Frazer
The Nasty Bits by Anthony Bourdain
Rant by Chuck Palahniuk

• Consolation, Michael Redhill
  • Self-Help, Edward Docx
  • Darkmans, Nicola Barker
  • The Howling Miller, Arto Paasilinna

The latest interlibrary loan haul:

Riding Rockets-Mike Mullane ( for dh)

Land Of Exile:Contemporary Korean Fiction ed. Marshall R. Pihl

Knives and Angels: Women Writers in Latin America-ed. Susan Bassnet

Caribbean New Wave: Contemporary Short Stories-ed. Stewart Brown

Atonement-Ian McEwan

The Country Under My Skin-Giocanda Beli (Nicaragua)

Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote

White Teeth - Zadie Smith

Prozac Nation - Elizabeth Wurtzel

Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh

Back