• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Purely on a whim:

• The Birds, Tarjei Vesaas
  • The Ice Palace, Tarjei Vesaas
  • The Boat In The Evening, Tarjei Vesaas
  • Spring Night, Tarjei Vesaas

Dear Stewart - was wondering if you had got around to Blood Meridien yet? I was so absolutely flayed after reading :) The Road I could not read anything else for ages. The book just kept coming back to me and I felt everything else would pale by comparison. However, now I'm wondering about his other novels and saw that you had purchased this so was wondering how it went?:)

Dear Stewart - was wondering if you had got around to Blood Meridien yet?
No, because I only bought it last week. Saying that, I've read the Gordimer I bought that day. When I buy books they tend to vanish into the 300+ deep to-be-read pile unless I really want to read them.

I enjoyed The Road though, earlier this year. Although I marked it down to 4/5 for its annoying ending.

No, because I only bought it last week. Saying that, I've read the Gordimer I bought that day. When I buy books they tend to vanish into the 300+ deep to-be-read pile unless I really want to read them.

quote]

Just think, if the unthinkable happened, and all the bookshops within a hundred miles were closed, and all the libraries closed too..and the mail carriers went on strike, you'd STILL have plenty to read for a couple of weeks while the powers that be fixed all the unthinkable problems! Some folks stockpile food for hardtimes, some of us stockpile soul food too..

Just think, if the unthinkable happened, and all the bookshops within a hundred miles were closed, and all the libraries closed too..and the mail carriers went on strike, you'd STILL have plenty to read for a couple of weeks while the powers that be fixed all the unthinkable problems! Some folks stockpile food for hardtimes, some of us stockpile soul food too..
Hey I think I can chew through my 150 unread books without such drastic circumstances! Haha!

Just think, if the unthinkable happened, and all the bookshops within a hundred miles were closed, and all the libraries closed too..and the mail carriers went on strike, you'd STILL have plenty to read for a couple of weeks

As it happens, the mail carriers are on strike and I still haven't received my Steinbecks, never mind my Vesaas novels. The libraries are only ever available to me on Saturdays and I tend to be too hungover to visit them. Book shops, however, would be a disaster. But I'm amazed you think I could read over 300 books in a couple of weeks.

As it happens, the mail carriers are on strike and I still haven't received my Steinbecks, never mind my Vesaas novels. The libraries are only ever available to me on Saturdays and I tend to be too hungover to visit them. Book shops, however, would be a disaster. But I'm amazed you think I could read over 300 books in a couple of weeks.

I figure it this way: The mail stops and the shops close..you'll be so sick you'll stay home from work and have plenty of time to read:D

Bought several YA fantasy novels - school bookfair on. I enjoy reading these books, because they often have interesting storylines, and I'm a teacher and like to keep up with what my kids are interested in. Also finally got Agatha Christi's And then there were None. Interesting book - I enjoyed it.

My best find - Johnathan Strange & Mr. Norrell for $4 at the Green Valley Bookfair. I've started reading it, and am enjoying it so far (yes, I know I am behind).

Naive. Super - Erlend Loe (None available in any Waterstones store last year, today I find five in Foyles)
The Thin Man - Dashiell Hammett (King of the hard-boiled private eye)
Poem of the End - Marina Tsvetaeva (Still can't work out if I perfer her or Akmatova)
Joy in the Morning - P.G.Wodehouse (More J. & W.)

All from Foyles. Nothing today caught my eye in 'Forbidden Planet', not even from thier 'Supernatural Romance' section!

Out by Natsuo Kirino

1400078377.jpg

Back