• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Basically he was being a pain-in-the-arse for the Communist rulers in Czechoslavakia.

I was looking for a book on Medieval European History but got lost and ended up finding this.

Basically he was being a pain-in-the-arse for the Communist rulers in Czechoslavakia.

I was looking for a book on Medieval European History but got lost and ended up finding this.

Ah, that would land a person in the hoosgow...

I can totally relate to how you found this book..happens to me a lot. Sorta like pennies from heaven, but more interesting.

Why was Havel in prision?

He was a political malcontent at a time when the Czech government wasn't having any of that. Later, of course, he ended up as president.

Somewhere along the way he wrote a play in which the principal character is a dissident who has been in prison and is afraid of returning there. I saw the play in New Haven many years ago and don't remember the title, but it was effective.

He was a political malcontent at a time when the Czech government wasn't having any of that. Later, of course, he ended up as president.

Somewhere along the way he wrote a play in which the principal character is a dissident who has been in prison and is afraid of returning there. I saw the play in New Haven many years ago and don't remember the title, but it was effective.

Google is such a cool tool.. I looked him up and found his website:http://http://http//www.vaclavhavel.cz/Index.php?&setln=2 He sounds like a very interesting man.

I placed an order on B&N's website for the following:

Quills - Doug Wright
The Asian Mystique: Dragon Ladies, Geisha Girls, and Our Fantasies of the Exotic Orient - Sheridan Prasso

Night by Elie Wiesel (Translation by Marion Wiesel)
On Wings of Eagles by Ken Follett
The Assistant by Bernard Malamud
The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood

awww.fantasticfiction.co.uk_images_n1_n7893.jpg

Just in from the library:
Dining on a Dime Cookbook-Tawra Kellam and Jill Cooper

Wonderful Fool-Shusaku Endo

The Redemption of Elsdon Bird-Noel Virtue

I've recently bought Pamuk's latest book other colours. This is a collection of essays, interviews and various fragments of his work.
I really liked it but I must also add that I am a real fond of his books.
" also contains a brand new story "to look out the window", which I consider intense and meaningful.

I've recently bought Pamuk's latest book other colours. This is a collection of essays, interviews and various fragments of his work.
I really liked it but I must also add that I am a real fond of his books.
" Other colours" also contains a brand new story "to look out the window", which I consider intense and meaningful.
If you enjoy Pamuk you should definitely read it.;)

A small book of Man Ray photographs, Cities for a Small Planet by architect Richard Rogers and Atget's Paris from Taschen. All after spending several hours wandering around the Pompidou (designed by Rogers and currently including an exhibition about his work) in Paris on Sunday.

Here's what I got at the library yesterday:

The Worst Hard Time-Timothy Egan

The Ways of Rain and Other Poems by Hugo Lindo (El Salvador)

I Could Read the Sky-Timothy O'Grady

Maldives-Urmilla Phadnis

The Second Life: Collection of Novellas and Short Stories-Carmen Firan (Romania)

I bought these the other day:

The Mist--Stephen King (Yes, I saw the movie and then had to read it)

House of Leaves--Mark Z. Danielewski

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
The Door into Summer by Robert A. Heinlein
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foe
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines
The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

0060837020.jpg

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Hornet Flight by Ken Follett
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
A Room With a View by E. M. Forster
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

aimages.barnesandnoble.com_images_9790000_9799797.jpg

I went to a library sale yesterday and came home with:
* Modern Literature of the Non-Western World
* 10 Issues of Writer’s Digest
* The Norton Anthology of American Literature Volumes 1 and 2
* Harper’s Modern Classics1950 Edition of Pride and Prejudice
* The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant
* The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen
* Seeing by Jose Saramango
* Life of Pi by Yann Martel
* The Devil and Miss Prym - Coelho
* The Fellowship of the Ring - Tolkien (I have the Lord of the Rings in paperback, but I couldn’t resist owning at least one of the books in hardback)
* The Top 500 Poems Edited by William Harmon
* The View from the Center of the Universe by Primack and Abrams
* Thirteen Moons - Frazier
* The Know-it-All (a book about books!)
* Every Book its Reader by Basbanes (another book about books!)
* The Best American Essays of the Century
* Becoming a Writer - Brande
* Modern Library paperback edition of Selected Writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson
* A Room of One’s Own -Virginia Woolf
* Plato’s Dialogues
* Plato’s Republic Grube Translation
* A Manual for Writers

I also purchased seven books for my daughter- including a really nice book of rhymes from the people at barefoot books. I really wanted to find her some more of Jane Yolen's books but the children's hardcover books were not arranged alphabetically so it was fairly impossible to find anything specific. I'm sure they started the day out in alphabetical order, but the sale was a mad house!

Back