• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Dawn of the Dumb (Dispatches from the idiotic frontline) - Charlie Brooker
The Railway - Hamid Ismailov
Out Stealing Horses - Per Petterson
The Box Man - Kobo Abe
The Bridge on the River Kwai - Pierre Boulle
The Wine-Dark Sea - Leonardo Sciascia

I now appear to be stalking other people's reading lists...

...last trip to Foyles for a while, next year it's 'read five before you buy one' time...

Dawn of the Dumb (Dispatches from the idiotic frontline) - Charlie Brooker
The Railway - Hamid Ismailov
Out Stealing Horses - Per Petterson
The Box Man - Kobo Abe
The Bridge on the River Kwai - Pierre Boulle
The Wine-Dark Sea - Leonardo Sciascia

I now appear to be stalking other people's reading lists...

...last trip to Foyles for a while, next year it's 'read five before you buy one' time...

I thought stalking other people's reading list is an Olympic Sport around here...perfectly acceptable;)

Nice haul, btw! I would like to read Bridge on the River Kwai sometime.. my main perception of it is the whistled tune from the film..

I've already read Planet of the Apes by Boulle which differed from the film version. I'm interested in seeing if there are any differences with this story.

I've already read Planet of the Apes by Boulle which differed from the film version. I'm interested in seeing if there are any differences with this story.

Isn't it fun to read the book, THEN watch the film, and throw popcorn at the screen when 'they' screw up the book? If you're the one who has to clean up said popcorn, don't do that...just settle for waving your fists and shouting at the tv;)

Um, I HOPE this doesn't mean I need to get a life!

I quite enjoy reading the novels of favourite films. The written versions of True Grit (Charles Portis) and The Hustler (Walter Tevis) were both excellent.

I quite enjoy reading the novels of favourite films. The written versions of True Grit (Charles Portis) and The Hustler (Walter Tevis) were both excellent.

I've heard that about True Grit..sometimes both are good as long as one can view them as two separate stories..as with The Princess Diaries. What seems most rare, is to find a film adaptation that 'sticks' with the book.

I've just ordered Nancy Mitford's The Pursuit of Love, Love in a Cold Climate and The Blessing.

I've not read any of her work before but am curious.

House Of Meetings, Martin Amis
The Grass Is Singing, Doris Lessing
Timbuktu, Paul Auster
Herzog, Saul Bellow
Wings, Mikhail Kuzmin
Midaq Alley, Naguib Mahfouz
Alphabet Of The Night, Jean-Euphèle Milcé

Well, it took long enough, but my Folio Society membership renewal package finally turned up – a very nice four-book collection of Shorter Crime Fiction, Raymond Chandler's Trouble is My Business and Blackmailers Don't Shoot, Richard Dawkins's The Blind Watchmaker and Casanova (concise version of his diaries). Freebies also included a dictionary of slang and A Christmas Carol.

And I've got Fay Weldon's Life and Loves of a She Devil, Ian McEwan's Saturday, Margaret Atwood's Cat's Eye and Angela Carter's The Sadeian Woman: An Exercise in Cultural History on the way from Amazon.

Just in from the library:

The Devil in the Flesh-Raymond Radiguet
Too Cute Crochet for Babies and Toddlers-Cynthia Preston

I just noticed how odd a combination this is..I almost wonder what the librarians thought when they processed these:D

aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_P_0749395990.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Roddy Doyle follows Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha, winner of the Booker Prize, and The Commitments with another remarkable book that readers will find funny, sexy, and sad. He takes an unflinching look at the life of Paula Spencer as she struggles to regain her dignity after marriage to an abusive husband and a worsening drinking problem. Capturing both her vulnerability and her strength, Doyle gives Paula a voice that is real and unforgettable.

The Golden Notebook, Doris Lessing
The Amazing Adventures Of Kavalier And Clay, Michael Chabon
Gentlmen Of The Road, Michael Chabon
Then We Came To The End, Joshua Ferris
A True Story Based On Lies, Jennifer Clement
The Invention Of Morel, Adolfo Bioy Casares

I can't stop buying. :(

Went into Borders on the way home yesterday – fatal, even without the sale. Came out with Culinaria France and Taste: The Story of Britain Through its Cooking by Kate Colquhoun.

Went into Borders on the way home yesterday – fatal, even without the sale. Came out with Culinaria France and Taste: The Story of Britain Through its Cooking by Kate Colquhoun.

you know, when I think of anything to do with Britain, I think of that movie Shirley Valentine. I saw it over christmas.

My last purchase 4$ for Rudy K. stories in spanish

you know, when I think of anything to do with Britain, I think of that movie Shirley Valentine. I saw it over christmas...

It's a very funny film.

One might even think that there is some truth in how the issue of food is dealt with in it.

Back