• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

The Lover, by Marguerite Duras

livro.jpg

The City of Fallen Angels, John Berendt

Disease: The Extraordinary Stories Behind History's Deadliest Killers, Mary Dobson

Borrowed today:

The Falling Man - Don DeLillo
The Gum Thief - Douglas Coupland
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathon Safran Foer

I also bought the first release of The Stand comic.

Just back from the library:

Mayflower-Nathaniel Philbrick

Excellent book!, I posted about it here months ago. It really gives you a good appreciation of the pilgrim, especially in terms of theology and the persecution they went through.

The Janissary Tree-Jason Goodwin
Casanova in Bolzano-Sandor Marai
Heart of Darkness-Joseph Conrad
The Lion of Al-Rassan-Kay Guy Gavriel
The Language of Threads-Gail Tsukiyama
Women of theSilk-Gail Tsukiyama
Me Talk Pretty One Day-David Sedaris

America and the World: Conversations on the Future of American Foreign Policy by Zbigniew Brzezinski and Brent Scowcroft

From the library,

The Orphan Train, Stephen O'Connor

The Salem Witch Trials Reader, Frances Hill

The Complete Jack the Ripper, Donald Rumbelow

Goddess: The Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe, Anthony Summers

the-cabinet-of-curiosities-pendergast-book-3.jpg

Started on this the third Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child 'Pendergast' story/mystery.

In the 19th century, New Yorkers flocked to collections of strange and grotesque oddities called "cabinets of curiosities." Now, in lower Manhattan, a modern apartment tower is slated to rise on the site of one of the old cabinets. Yet when the excavators break into a basement, they uncover a charnel pit of horror: the remains of thirty-six people murdered and gruesomely dismembered over 130 years ago by an unknown serial killer.

In the aftermath, FBI Special Agent Pendergast and museum archaeologist Nora Kelly embark on an investigation that unearths the faint whisper of a mysterious doctor who once roamed the city, carrying out medical experiments on living human beings. But just as Nora and Pendergast begin to unravel the clues to the century-old killings, a fresh spree of murder and surgical mutilation erupts around them. . . and New York City is awash in terror.

The "ghost" of Jack the Ripper returns?, hmmm knowing Preston & Child someone thinks they are him...or worse. :eek: :D ;)

Yesterday I got:

The Castle of Crossed Destinies, Italo Calvino
Letter on Happiness, Epicurus
The Gods of Pegana, Lord Dunsany
The Sword of Welleran & Other Stories, Lord Dunsany

I bought The Race by Dave Shields and two non fiction books, Food In History by Reay Tannahill and Other People's Daughters, the Life and Times of The Governess, by Ruth Brandon

Back