• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Recently purchased:

The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman
Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition by Bryan Peterson

The only thing I got out of that Richard Dawkins is how much he hates Americans. He thinks we're dummies.

__
That might ruin an otherwise good book, but we shall have to see. It's not an unusual opinion coming from over the sea.

29% of Americans don't believe in evolution. Maybe he's on to something.
Actually, if we go back to the thread where we got this statistic, it's a more troubling reality. 39 percent that do believe in the theory of evolution, which leaves a staggering 61 percent are given over to scientific ignorance and/or dismissal.

The only thing I got out of that Richard Dawkins is how much he hates Americans. He thinks we're dummies.
What AquaBlue is saying here is that he hasn't bothered reading the book. He's probably referring to his skimming of The God Delusion as The Greatest Show On Earth is a cataloguing of the evidence that supports the theory of evolution. It's not anti-American at all. As Dawkins says in the opening chapter: "This is a book about the positive evidence that evolution is a fact. It is not intended as an anti-religious book. I've done that, it's another T-shirt, this is not the place to wear it again." As such, the book details creatures' habitats, developments, etc. that sees them taking evolutionary steps.

What AquaBlue is saying here is that he hasn't bothered reading the book. He's probably referring to his skimming of The God Delusion as The Greatest Show On Earth is a cataloguing of the evidence that supports the theory of evolution. It's not anti-American at all. As Dawkins says in the opening chapter: "This is a book about the positive evidence that evolution is a fact. It is not intended as an anti-religious book. I've done that, it's another T-shirt, this is not the place to wear it again." As such, the book details creatures' habitats, developments, etc. that sees them taking evolutionary steps.

Thanks for the assessment, Stewart. It is a nice looking book -- surprising to me to see nice color photography in a trade paperback -- and apparently comprehensive across the broad range of relevant material. He evidently has command of his subject, but we knew that already. It should pull things together very nicely.

No, my photos look good because I only show the good ones. For every one, I delete loads more.

That's the real secret isn't it? I think 2-5%of my photos are "good" and I normally only post my good ones so you can imagine how horrid the rest are.

Do you like the book? I picked up on multiple recommendations from another site.

Do you like the book? I picked up on multiple recommendations from another site.
Yes, it's nicely informative. While most photography guides and the like peddle the same old stuff about getting to the scene at the right time, the best focal length, etc. this book does something different and looks at what makes good photographic composition and tries to explain how shapes work and appeal to our aesthetic pleasure.

Everyman by Philip Roth
The Echo Maker by Richard Powers (Booker Award Winner)
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

20 Master Plots by Ronald B. Tobias (nonfiction)

__

Alan Moore's Saga of the Swamp Thing books 1, 2, & 3.
Yay! For the first time ever on Amazon, I got to click the button that says, "add all three to cart."

Oh the feeling of Power! It's wonderful. :cool: :D

1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, Written By More Than One Hundred International Critics. The revised and updated edition.

My TBR stack isn't high enough already. :whistling:

I checked out Michael Connelly's The Narrows and The Closers from the local library. I'm hoping to get Ender's Game before the end of the week.

Back