• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Romantic sounding name. Yes. I couldn't agree more. :) It would be hard to find something as perfect. ;)

BTW, English-speaking translators (or whoever is responsible for that kind of things) may invent a suitable word for a female spirit who inhabits the water. In Polish literature, for example, we have a Polish word for a halfling, which I'm sure is quite a new word, which didn't naturally appear in the language. On the other hand, the effect of such translation could be a nightmare. I don't know which way is better.

Litany said:
What, like naiads? ;)
Naiad is not the same as rusalka. It's similar, but not the same. For a one reason, it comes from a different mythology. And lives in a different climatic area. :)

Litany said:
What, like naiads? ;)

Are they vengeful spirits??? :)

Idun said:
Romantic sounding name. Yes. I couldn't agree more. It would be hard to find something as perfect.

BTW, English-speaking translators (or whoever is responsible for that kind of things) may invent a suitable word for a female spirit who inhabits the water. In Polish literature, for example, we have a Polish word for a halfling, which I'm sure is quite a new word, which didn't naturally appear in the language. On the other hand, the effect of such translation could be a nightmare. I don't know which way is better.

I think it's always better to keep the name from the original language. For one, it's almost always much better sounding :) And for two, in almost all cases, you would have to have a sentence to replace one word. Much less elegant solution :) Anyway, it is always interesting to get new words in other languages. Other words in other languages have a lot to teach us about other cultures and ways of expressing things.

Regards
SillyWabbit

Well... yeah, true. But I think in general they are not murdered spirits of girls that inhabit lakes and are full of lustful vengeance! :)

But, yes, if you pissed in their lake, they might be. They might come after you and beat you around the face with a trout or some similar fish :eek:

Regards
SillyWabbit

Well, I'm still reading Clive Barker's Imajica at the mo, but I realised my 'to read' pile had reduced itself to just 3 or 4 books :eek:. To avoid a potential crisis the bookstore in town just happened to be holding a 3 for 2 thingy (you know where all this is going ;) ).

Anyway...

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden. I've already read it recently, but I thought I'd better grab a copy for 5/10 years down when line.

Rebecca- Daphne Du Maurier. See above (though not so recently).

The Handmaid's Tale- Margret Atwood. Pfft join a forum and the shopping list gets bigger.

Crime and Punishment- Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Thought I'd give it another try with a different translator.

Great Expectations- Dickens. It's been ages since I last read this, but why not?

Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austen. Last year's summer holidays interrupted me midway through this. I was enjoying it, but after exams I wanted to read some book on torture techniques. Will get back to this though.

Five Great Novels- HG Wells (The time machine, The Island of Doctor Moreau, The War of The Worlds, The First Men in the Moon, The Invisible Man)

Michael Connelly - Angels Flight - Good Book
Iris Johansen - Dead Aim - It was ok
Don't Know Much About History - Great brush up on American history
Yann Mantel - Life of Pi - Enjoyed it
jack kerouac - on the road - Pretty good

Well, I should have bought enough books for now:

Band of Brothers~ Stephen E Ambrose
An Instance of the fingerpost~ Iain Pears
The Separation~ Christopher Priest
Stalingrad~ Antony Beevor

From the library

A Suitable Boy~ Vikram Seth

fluffy bunny said:
Well, I should have bought enough books for now:

An Instance of the fingerpost~ Iain Pears

I've heard some good things about that one. I'd be interested to hear what you thought of it once you're finished.

RaVeN

I got a novel by Ian Pears. The novel was called The Dream of Scipio and it is one of the WORST and I repeat WORST novels I have ever read in the whole entire 32 years of my life on this planet. I was so bored that I started to watch my finger nails growing in place of reading it. So... not sure I would recommend that author :D

Regards
SillyWabbit

SillyWabbit said:
I got a novel by Ian Pears. The novel was called The Dream of Scipio and it is one of the WORST and I repeat WORST novels I have ever read in the whole entire 32 years of my life on this planet. I was so bored that I started to watch my finger nails growing in place of reading it. So... not sure I would recommend that author :D

Regards
SillyWabbit

Now you tell me :mad:
Ah well, fingerpost is rated higher than Scipio on Amazon, and by more reviewers. I've never heard of the author before- 'twas an impulse buy. When I flicked through the book in store, the random pages I selected seemed very readable. Now all I can hope for is that the plot's decent, and not like Wabbit's book. Will get back to you on that topic.

Anyways... back to Handmaid's tale

I guess we'll count that as a great big maybe from Wabbit. Anyone else care to chime in?

RaVeN

As a Teamster, I was telling him that someday he would be known as a cornerstone of all union bosses.

RaVeN

Back