• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Kenny Shovel said:
I put my thoughts on Fante in this thread:
http://forums.thebookforum.com/showthread.php?p=83617#post83617

I'm assuming you're new to Laxness, so I'd recommend Paradise Reclaimed and The Fish Can Sing as good places to start; obviously I haven't read Under the Glacier yet.

Regards,

K-S

I wondered if that was the best introduction to this writer, but it sounds so good. I will be poking around at amazon looking at his other works as well. Wish I had more than a dollar in my wallet so I could visit a used bookstore I know of not too far away....

Books I have bought as Christmas gifts:

For Granddaughter Jacqui:

Pride and Prejudice - Barnes & Noble classics series- Jane Austen
Tale of Two Cities - Barnes & Noble classics series - Charles Dickens
Uncle Tom's Cabin - Barnes & Noble classics series - Harriet Beecher Stowe

For Granddaughter Jennifer:

Complete Anne of Green Gable Boxed Set (Anne of Green Gables, Anne of the Island, Anne of Avonlea, Anne of Windy Poplars, Anne's House of Dreams, Anne of Ingleside, Rainbow Valley, Rilla of Ingleside)

Forest Of The Pygmies - Isabel Allende

For DW:

The March: A Novel - E. L. Doctorow

pontalba said:
Last week in someone recommended Crusaders Cross by James Lee Burke. Its part of the Dave Robicheaux series, and since I cannot begin at the end of the series, I went down to Ye Old Second Hand Book Store and purchased:

1988 Heaven's Prisoners
1989 Black Cherry Blues
1992 A Stained White Radiance
1993 In the Electric Mist with The Confederate Dead
1994 Dixie City Jam
1995 Burning Angel
1998 Sunset Limited
2000 Purple Cane Road

Since Heaven's Prisoner is the second in the series, I have to wait for Amazon to deliver the first one tomorrow, The Neon Rain (1987) and the the 4th A Mourning for Flamingos (1990).

Should keep me going for a bit. :D

I was the person that recommended James Lee Burke. Wow, after buying all those I sure hope you enjoy the books as much as I do. In a way I envy you as you have the chance to read the books at your leisure and get a chance to see Burke's writing keep improving from his first book up to the current. Don't forget there are a few more in the "Robicheaux Series":

Jolie Blon's Bounce - 2002
Last Car To Elysian Fields -2003
Crusader's Cross - 2005

And when you finish the Robicheaux there are also the "Billy Bob Holland" books. :)

Breaca Sorry, I wasn't clear on which author I meant, I was referring to Simon Clark for The Night of the Triffids. Wyndham's other book, Chrysalids sounds good to though. /sigh/ :)

I have to say I highly recommend the sequel to Triffids! I hope he does more.

Muggle I have The March in my stack, near the top. Looks like it'll be well worth the read.

Muggle Hi! Didn't see your last post! Thanks so much! I know I'll like them. I just can't believe I missed him all these years! :eek: :D

pontalba said:
Muggle Hi! Didn't see your last post! Thanks so much! I know I'll like them. I just can't believe I missed him all these years! :eek: :D
Gosh, after buying all those books I sure hope you like Burke. You definitely will see his writing improve from book 1 on. Also, you will recognize the 'territory" of Southern Louisiana. I once made a trip to Morgan City, can't get to much more south than that. :) also spent time in other parts of Cajun Country. I love their music. :)

Muggle I suppose as the character develops so much more can be added and inferences to the past add flavor. At least that has been my experience with other detective series, or any other series period.

Louisiana is hurting right now, and we don't really know in what direction N.O. will be going, but up is the only way to go!:)

BTW, we stopped at a fruit stand yesterday..........that had a table full of books!! Yay. They were giving them away free, unfortunately I could only find 3. They are:

World's Fair E.L. Doctorow
Friends of My Youth Alice Munro
Science Fiction Hall of Fame edited by Robert Silverberg

Thanks muggle! Nice website and the article is great! More validation of my decision to get the series all (more or less) at one time. No use wasting time, when I could get them mostly half price. :)

Arrived this morning...

The Colour Purple [/B/- Alice Walker (a firm favourite, but having loaned my original out, felt it had to be replaced)
The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank - Ellen Feldmen (one I am very very excited about)
Brick Lane - Monica Ali
The Family Way - Tony Parsons
The Time Travellers Wife

I am within 200 pages of finishing my current book and today I put a hold on:
No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy at the library.

I had better start doing more reading on my current book and less time on TBF.

steffee said:
My thoughts exactly (me, not you though, lol)
Yeah right. I know what you meant. :)

Talk about good timing. I just checked the library and I see that "No Country For Old Men" is ready for me to pick up. I also finished Knife Of Dreams last night and it is due back at the Library today.

muggle said:
Yeah right. I know what you meant. :)

Talk about good timing. I just checked the library and I see that "No Country For Old Men" is ready for me to pick up. I also finished Knife Of Dreams last night and it is due back at the Library today.

Coincidence??? I think NOT:cool: Usually it's feast or famine around here!

Hmmm, a few more purchases...

• 1984, George Orwell
  • Port Mungo, Patrick McGrath
  • The Crying of Lot 49, Thomas Pynchon
  • When We Were Orphans, Kazuo Ishiguro

Stewart said:
Hmmm, a few more purchases...

• 1984, George Orwell
  • Port Mungo, Patrick McGrath
  • The Crying of Lot 49, Thomas Pynchon
  • When We Were Orphans, Kazuo Ishiguro

I notice The Crying of Lot 49. Is that a warm up for Gravitys Rainbow or have you already read that one?
I read Lot 49 and Vineland but I'm a bit wary of GR. It's sitting there alongside War and Peace, taunting me.

Back