• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

blueboatdriver said:
I notice The Crying of Lot 49. Is that a warm up for Gravitys Rainbow or have you already read that one?

It's an attempt to try and penetrate Gravity's Rainbow. I tried once, got sixty pages in, and couldn't have told you if there was a main character yet.

Have a Nice Day!: an autobiography of Mick Foley.
Its pretty entertaining so far. I'm not even a wrestling fan to tell you the truth, but this looked interesting. I decided to pick it up.

Latest library haul:

Encyclopedia of African Literature
Flight to Eden-Douglas Hirt
The Jungle Law-Victoria Vinton
Reef-Romesh Gunesekera
Ireland-Frank Delaney
Things Fall Apart-Chinua Achebe

and for some reason, the kids brought me Never Offer Your Comb to a Bald Man by Alexander Berardi..I suspect it was on the sale cart and Katie thought her dad might like it...I'll have to investigate:rolleyes:

I am two thirds through No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy, what a great book, and thought that I better get another book as the library will be closed Friday through next Monday for the Holidays. First choice was Blood Meridian but it was not available. Second choice was The Stand by Stephen King but when I seen it I realized it was too long a book to finish over the holidays and before it would be due back at the library.

So, I ended up with Warrior Woman by James Alexander Thom. A historical novel about a female Shawnee Indian Chief.

abecedarian said:
Latest library haul:

Encyclopedia of African Literature
Reef-Romesh Gunesekera
Things Fall Apart-Chinua Achebe
Hello, hello, hello, you're actually having a go at this Olympic bid aren't you? Bonkers!

I've bought several books just this past week, my tbr stack is about to fall over!! :eek:

MYSTIC WARRIOR
by Tracy Hickman and Laura Hickman

ARTEMIS FOWL
by Eoin Colfer

OH MY STARS
by Lorna Landvik

THE CONSTANT PRINCESS
by Philippa Gregory

THE SMOKE THIEF
by Shana Abé

THE MERCY OF THIN AIR
by Ronlyn Domingue

IN THE LAND OF SECOND CHANCES
by George Shaffner

I bought more, but I think thats enough for now! :p

Kenny Shovel said:
Hello, hello, hello, you're actually having a go at this Olympic bid aren't you? Bonkers!

:rolleyes: You should see this monster. The authors are arranged alphabetically, which might be logical to an ordinary person, but since I'm abnormal, it does me very little good. I'm having to flip back and forth from the index as I try to look for authors from individual countries:eek: All I'm getting is a list of names and maybe a title or two. But someone went to a lot of trouble for this reference book that probably should not have been sent to an individual patron to take home..I'm being very very careful;)

Over the last couple of days we have bought the following :eek:

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
The Broker - John Grisham
Sleeping Around - Julie Highmore
Eragon - Christopher Paolini
The Undomestic Goddess - Sophie Kinsella
Vince and Joy - Lisa Jewell
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. Susanna Clarke
Golden Fool - Robin Hobb
Fool's Fate - Robin Hobb
Ship of Magic - Robin Hobb
Mad Ship - Robin Hobb
Ship of Destiny - Robin Hobb
A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin

:cool:

The incomparable UPS just delivered:

Speak Memory Vladimir Nabokov
Pnin VN
Bend Sinister VN
Despair VN
Ada,or Ardor VN

pontalba said:
The incomparable UPS just delivered:

Speak Memory Vladimir Nabokov
Pnin VN
Bend Sinister VN
Despair VN
Ada,or Ardor VN
When are you going to start reading some of the JLB books. :)

Muggle I have! I am reading The Neon Rain along with Reading Lolita in Tehran. Talk about different worlds! :rolleyes:

The detective DR is so like some of the guys I knew years ago. This author really has the persona nailed down!!:)

1.All of the Chronicles of Narnia books.
2.The third book of the Pendragon series.

That's not much, but that is what I have bought recently.

For Christmas yesterday I recieved:

Jessica by Bryce Courtney - /really/ looking forward to this one
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon (I didn't have the heart to tell my Grandmother that I read it just two days ago)
Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer - looking forward to this one because I have heard lots of mixed reveiws of it, and I really want to make an opnion for myself.

catch-22 by joseph heller
the strange case of dr. jekyll and mr. hyde by robert louis stevenson
the invisible man by H.G. Wells
survivor by chuck palahniuk

hi

Newst book
Ptoleym`s Gate -- Jonathan Stroud
The Spooks apprentice -- Joseph Delaney
The Spooks Curse -- Joseph Delaney
:eek:

Back