• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

I've ordered Saturday from a book club but am still waiting :rolleyes:

Pale Fire is next on my list :)

Why don't we have library sales? :confused: :( :D

EDIT: clicky :)

btw, its not the Library itself, its an orgainzation they call "Friends of the Library"...Its a lot, lot, lot of books. And only a few dollars for a bag full of nice hardbacks!

Sounds amazing.

No not Zooba. It's called QPD (quality paperbacks direct) and they take ages, upto 4 weeks :eek: :eek: and don't have a lot of choices of titles but they're cheap :) Ordered on the 24th Feb so still a while to wait yet :cool: :cool:

Still, I've got an ever-increasing TBR to be getting on with :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Steffee We have QPB here too, but Zooba is nice because its $ 9.95 for any book, hardback and no shipping charges. But you have to get at least one book a month, or they charge you anyway. They advertised on TBF awhile back.

steffee said:
Oh I'll check them out then. So that's about £7. Do they ship to the UK? I'm off to check :)
I'm not sure. At first I thought they were based in the UK, but I see they are in the NE US.....:confused:

pontalba said:
I'm not sure. At first I thought they were based in the UK, but I see they are in the NE US.....:confused:

Well I'm on signing up now, and they have a Europe option in the "State" field, so here's hoping :)

EDIT: hmm, maybe not, Their membership agreement says
(Note: At this time we are only shipping to US-based locations, which include APO's, all US states and all US territories.)

steffee said:
Well I'm on signing up now, and they have a Europe option in the "State" field, so here's hoping :)

EDIT: hmm, maybe not, Their membership agreement says
Silly isn't it!

I'm just back now from my charity shop shopping morning. It's amazing to think I might only be waking up right now. :p

17 books, not quite as much as last time...

Second hand:

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky (£0.30)
The Tale of Murasaki - Liza Dalby (£1.50)
Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides (£2.50)
Walking On Glass - Iain Banks - (£2.00)
When We Were Orphans - Kazuo Ishiguro (£2.00)
The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith (£2.00)
The Good Women of China - Xinran (£2.00)
Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt (£2.00, found one later for only £0.69 so was a bit annoyed. :p)
2nd Chance - James Patterson (£2.00)
3rd Degree - James Patterson (£2.00)
A Passage to India - E.M.Forster (£0.69) (Bought this one because the author is one we might be looking at next year for the Advanced Higher English class I signed up for.)
Goodnight Mister Tom (£0.69)
Tooth & Nail - Ian Rankin (£1.59)
Dead Air - Iain Banks (£1.59)
A Death In Tokyo - Guy Stanley (£1.59) (A random buy because it looked interesting. :p)

New:

Lord Of The Shadows - Darren Shan (£4.99, with a £5 voucher!)
Koyasan - Darren Shan (£1 World Book Day book, bought with special £1 voucher!)

Now to sort them all out and add them to my bookshelves and Library Thing!

tartan_skirt said:
I'm just back now from my charity shop shopping morning. It's amazing to think I might only be waking up right now. :p

17 books, not quite as much as last time...!

Great selection - even greater prices:D

pontalba said:
I made a trek to the second-hand book store today....
In hardback @ 1.75 US dollars each:
trade paperbacks.......

Oh happy daaayssss, oh happy daaayssss.... Sorry couldn't resist singing.

As for no Nabokov - We can't put the blame on the s/h bookstore. Blame it on their discerning patrons who just cannot bring themselves to part with any of his books - they want to keep them all to themselves:(

Ah, the Time Travellers Wife at last.

I just bought "Does Anything Eat Wasps?" - a collection of Q & A from The Last Word section of the New Scientist website. £3.73 from Tesco.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I loved this book when I was little. Have you read this book already, or will this be your first time?

First time. I've seen the movie twice and when I saw the book I thought I'd see what it was like.

More bloody books...

Some more purchases for me:

Hunger, Knut Hamsun
White And Red, Dorota Masłowska
Bitter Fruit, Achmat Dangor
The Master And Margarita, Mikhail Bulgakov
Go Tell It On The Mountain, James Baldwin
One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn​

I renewed a few library books too, yesterday, and loaned out a few more. So, from the library:

Soul Mountain, Gao Xingjian
Hey Nostradamus, Douglas Coupland
This Is he Country, William Wall
If Nobody Speaks Of Remarkable Things, Jon McGregor
Tears Of The Giraffe, Alexander McCall Smith
A High Wind In Jamaica, Richard Hughes
Money, Martin Amis
Cal, Bernard Mac Laverty
A Sweet Scent Of Death, Guillermo Arriaga
Giovanni's Room, James Baldwin
Beware Of Pity, Stefan Zweig
Under The Frog, Tibor Fischer
The Atom Station, Halldór Laxness
Death And The Penguin, Andrey Kurkov
Earth And Ashes, Atiq Rahimi
The Story Of Mr Sommer, Patrick Süskind​

The last two, I've now read.

Nice haul Stewart. I'm curious, what is your criteria for buying or borrowing? Do you have to read the book first to know for sure you want to own it?

Back