• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

pontalba said:
I'm curious, what is your criteria for buying or borrowing?
Pretty covers. :D

Only kidding, but I have few criteria other than I want it. I just borrow what's in the library and, since I started buying on eBay this year, I just buy what I've not read that I would want to as and when it becomes available.

Do you have to read the book first to know for sure you want to own it?

No. The only two books I've borrowed from the library and then bought later are Of Mice And Men (Steinbeck) and An Artist Of The Floating World (Ishiguro), and that's only because they are amongst my favourite authors, meaning I want to have all their work on my shelves.

Stewart: You've picked some interesting stuff here, but if I can be bold enough to make a few sugestions:

If there's an introduction to your edition of 'Master and Margarita' it's well worth the effort to read it and perhaps check out one of the 'notes' sites on the intermog. This is an example of a book were doing a bit of homework first will help you get more understanding and enjoyment from your reading experience, rather than spoiling the ending and giving you a feeling you've cheated. It's a complex work, and worth a bit of effort.

If you like 'Death and the Pengiun' and want to read some of Kurkov's other stuff, I'd stick with the library, as his other translated books didn't really impress me.

If you like 'White And Red' by Dorota Masłowska, try searching out 'Oman Ra' or 'Babylon' by Victor Pelevin. He writes on similar themes, only with a more experienced eye, and better skill.

K-S

Kenny Shovel said:
Stewart: You've picked some interesting stuff here, but if I can be bold enough to make a few sugestions:

If there's an introduction to your edition of 'Master and Margarita' it's well worth the effort to read it and perhaps check out one of the 'notes' sites on the intermog.

Yeah, it's the Penguin Classics 2000 edition. I doub I will be reading it straight away as I want to read many of my other contemporary novels before heading off into the lonely road of World Lit.

If you like 'White And Red' by Dorota Masłowska, try searching out 'Oman Ra' or 'Babylon' by Victor Pelevin. He writes on similar themes, only with a more experienced eye, and better skill.

I only found the Dorota Masłowska book by chance in one of those Bargain Book shops that make their living off local history, puzzle books, and remaindered goods. It was on the shelf for £3.99 and so I bought it, just because it was Polish. I'll bear the other bloke in mind, though. What was your opinion of White And Red?

Stewart said:
Yeah, it's the Penguin Classics 2000 edition. I doubt I will be reading it straight away as I want to read many of my other contemporary novels before heading off into the lonely road of World Lit.
Ok, fair enough. My comments about reading the introduction and not being too proud to seek out any notes etc apply to most Soviet era work btw. You have to accept that they lived in a very different kind of society and there were many things they couldn't say directly, as I'm sure you could imagine. Bulgakov himself seemed to have a strange relationship with Stalin, who was quite the reader and literary critic.

Stewart said:
What was your opinion of White And Red?
Well, it's a strange book to say the least. Part 'trippy' Polish Irvine Welsh type story, part post-communist era 'Confederacy of Dunces', part Victor Pelevin style satirical look at modern Eastern European life. I had to concentrate quite hard with the thing, and came away admiring and liking it more than loving every page. I'd say that much like Pelevin the author is gifted without perhaps being the genius that some would make out.

K-S

Though it will take me a while before I can actually open their pages and pour over them:

The Masque of the Black Tulip - Lauren Willig
Dragonwyck - Anya Seton
The Red Tent - Anita Diamant
The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova
The Villa of Mysteries - David Hewson
Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt - Anne Rice
The Ptolemies - Duncan Sprott
The Last Templar - Raymond Khoury
Belladonna - Karen Moline
Cell - Stephen King

They're all new by the way...my parents tell me I spend too much money on books...I tell them they're my treasures...:rolleyes:

I had a chance to visit the newer of the secondhand book stores in town today and came out with:
Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson
Last of the Breed by Louis L'Amour
Ada by Vladimir Nabokov I already have the trade paperback, I just could not resist a hardback for 3 dollars!
The Life of Samuel Johnson L.L.D. by Boswell
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To Love and be Wise by Josephine Tey
The Franchise Affair by Josephine Tey
Amsterdam by Ian McEwan
The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber
The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood

All of the above came to a grand total of {drumroll} $ 31.32 U.S.

:D :D :rolleyes: :eek: :D

pontalba said:
I had a chance to visit the newer of the secondhand book stores in town today and came out with:
Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson
Last of the Breed by Louis L'Amour
Ada by Vladimir Nabokov I already have the trade paperback, I just could not resist a hardback for 3 dollars!
The Life of Samuel Johnson L.L.D. by Boswell
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To Love and be Wise by Josephine Tey
The Franchise Affair by Josephine Tey
Amsterdam by Ian McEwan
The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber
The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood

All of the above came to a grand total of {drumroll} $ 31.32 U.S.

:D :D :rolleyes: :eek: :D
I think you will really like "Last Of The Breed", at least I liked it. Of course I also like the name "Irene". :)

Today I bought

StarWars:A New Hope by George Lucas:D
Time's Eye by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter:D
The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub:D

So what do you guys think of my new books?

kuroc said:
Today I bought

StarWars:A New Hope by George Lucas:D
Time's Eye by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter:D
The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub:D

Almost anything by Stephen King is good reading. I can't comment on the others as I haven't read them. :)

I have been to the local second-hand bookshop and made a few purchases.

Behind the Scenes at the Museum - Kate Atkinson £1:50

I Claudius – Robert Graves £1:25

Russia - Edward Rutherford £1:00

Schindler’s Ark – Thomas Keneally £4:00

The Falls – Ian Rankin £3:50

Misery – Stephen King £1:00

The Sicilian - Mario Puzo £2:00

I’m pleased but I don’t know when I will read them.:)

Balmy Westwind said:
I have been to the local second-hand bookshop and made a few purchases.

I Claudius – Robert Graves £1:25
Russia - Edward Rutherford £1:00
I’m pleased but I don’t know when I will read them.:)
I certainly did enjoy these! ^^^
If you start I, Claudius and enjoy it, you must obtain the follow up sequel Claudius the God!

steffee said:
First Oryx and Crake, now the Robber Bride, does this mean you like our Ms. Atwood now then? ;) :D
Lets just say that I am flexible in these things.....:D And considering a little over a year ago, I didn't want to read Lolita, I expect I'd better keep my mind open!! :rolleyes: :D

I do know I found her Handmaidens Tale exceedingly depressing, but the ones that I just bought don't seem to be of that ilk. Hopefully. :rolleyes:

Oryx and Crake is very good, one of her best. Certainly the best I've read (though Alias Grace is a very close second). The Robber Bride I haven't read but it's got quite positive reviews.

You're right though, never say never, and all that :D

I went into town yesterday as it was a Teachers Only Day, and couldn't pass up a chance to buy more books :D

I purchased:

Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
The Last Juror by John Grisham
Bare Bones by Kathy Reichs (this one came free with The Last Juror :))

Here's what I got at Borders Monday:

A Bed of Red Flowers:In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer Pazira

Broken Verses by Kamila Shamsie-I started this right away, and am enjoying it very much.

kuroc said:

I loved The Talisman. Can't really comment on the others I haven't read them.

MonkeyCatcher said:
Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

I really enjoyed this book. Way, way, way better than the movie.

Back