• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Wilkie Collins - The Moon Stone
Wilkie Collins - The Dead Secret
Wilkie Collins - Iolani; or Tahiti as it was.
Wilkie Collins - The Haunted Hotel
Mary Elizabeth Braddon - Lady Audley's Secret
Linda Bloodsworth Thompson - Liberating Paris

I got my order today:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Kesey)
Middlesex (Jeffrey Eugenides)
The World According To Garp (John Irving)
The Cider House Rules (John Irving)
Five People You Meet in Heaven (Mitch Albom)
A Little Stranger (Kate Pullinger)
Saturday (Ian McEwan)
The Master and Margarita (Mikhail Bulgakov)

And I've also recently purchased:

The Remains of the Day (Kazuo Ishiguro)
A Pale View of Hills (Kazuo Ishiguro)
Blind Assassin (Margaret Atwood)
The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood)
Alias Grace (Margaret Atwood)
Atonement (Ian McEwen)

Some, I use ALT + the relevant key code. i.e. ALT + 129 produces ü

Others, such as the Turkish sh (ş), I copy and paste.

Oh right, thanks. I didn't know you could copy and paste that kind of text, you can't on another forum I post on. This is quite a pointless post now :rolleyes:

I don't understand that ALT + x thing anyway, never mind.

I didn't know that 'ş' was a Turkish 'sh' either!

And some more:

Burning Bright, John Steinbeck
The Pastures Of Heaven, John Steinbeck
In Dubious Battle, John Steinbeck
The Moon Is Down, John Steinbeck
Sweet Thursday, John Steinbeck

Went down to the local library today and got some bargains:

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen for 40p (have read alot about it on this forum, so I thought I'd give it a read at some point).
Airframe - Michael Crichton - 50p
The Trials of Life - David Attenborough - 80p
Life on Earth - David Attenborough - 80p

Steffee Let me know what you think of The Remains of the Day (Kazuo Ishiguro) please. I'm curious to see how it compares to his others.

I've read it already Pontalba. IMO it is completely, totally and utterly (and many other -lys) different to Never Let Me Go. Almost everyone who has read them both says the same. Remains of the Day gets you involved with the characters, and the story, and is a real good read, IMO. It was good enough that I purchased another of Ishiguro's books, despite being disappointed by NLMG.

Shade has written an excellent description of all of Ishiguro's works...

EDIT: Ishiguro reviews by Shade

Pontalba: Yes, they are very comprehensive reviews huh?

I'm gonna re-read Remains of the Day soon, and read A Pale View of Hills as soon as possible, so maybe my thoughts will change.

Stewart, I think, said Ishiguro wrote using two kinds of narrator... actually, you know, I'll just quote Stewart, 'cause I wouldn't be able to say it as well :rolleyes: ;)

Stewart said:
I think they are two different types of narrator despite the trademark Ishiguro resignation at the end. It was written somewhere that TROTD was the closer to his "confusion trilogy" and NLMG was probably the closer to his "bewilderment" trilogy. So, where Stevens is looking back and deceiving himself that he's been wrong until he finally accepts it, Kathy has always accepted it but has never understood her circumstances.

What happens is that Remains of the Day really pulls you, where with Never Let Me Go you kinda stay in a strange detachment, that makes you (or me, anyway) feel guilty for doing. It was a queer feeling, and not an altogether pleasant one :confused:

But even Never Let Me Go gives you a lot of issues to contemplate, and plenty discussion material... :)

Here's what we got at Bookaholic the other day:

Sphere-Michael Chrichton
Warlock-Wilbur Smith
Reading Lolita in Tehran
Michaelangelo's Notebook-Paul Christopher
Bound Feet and Western Dress:A Memoir-Pan-Mei Natasha Chang
Watching Kansas Wildlife: A Guide to 101 Sites-Bob Gress
Basic Colored Pencil Techniques-Bet Borgeson
100 Years of Solitude

Next time I go, I'll remember they keep all the "classics" in a huge section in the back, and start there first...;)

Stewart said:
And some more:

Burning Bright, John Steinbeck
The Pastures Of Heaven, John Steinbeck
In Dubious Battle, John Steinbeck
The Moon Is Down, John Steinbeck
Sweet Thursday, John Steinbeck
stewart, make sure that you read Tortilla Flats and Cannery Row prior to reading Sweet Thursday.

I just ordered...

Brazzaville Beach by William Boyd
The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing
The Secret History by Donna Tartt
Surviver by Chuck Palahniuk
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

I just have to ask: are you guys filthy rich :confused: or what? Because at the prices that books are, roughly $20 CDN a book, depending on the size of the book, I would think you guys are rolling in the dough, so to speak. I make $8/hr at a job where I work about 4 hours a week, plus the $5-10 I get in tips, depending on what the resturant brings in. Plus I don't have a credit card to order all those books. For me purchasing a book is a luxury and I sometimes go to the second hand store to see what I can find there. Of course I go for the covers more than for the book, but more often than not it is because of the book...

I'm not filthy rich, I do have a credit card or two though :confused:

I get a lot of Amazon vouchers too, for stuff I do on online sites, that's why I can order books more than I normally would.

jaynebosco, I get many of my books at the library. Those that I buy I shop for the best prices. The library will even order a book or music CD for me and let me know when it is ready for loan.

Back